Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some interesting to changes to the laws of the game being introduced by the MCC
    The MCC has confirmed that umpires will have the authority to send players off for serious breaches of behaviour under updated laws of the game which will be used from October 1, 2017.

They have also laid out the restrictions on bat sizes and there will be an amendment to the run out law to protect a batsman whose bat has bounced in the air once they have crossed the popping crease.

These new laws follow the recommendations of the MCC Cricket Committee from their meeting in Mumbai in early December.

An attempt to stamp out poor on-field behaviour at the lower levels of the game has led to a decision to bring in four levels of offences which the umpires can judge. The most serious, levels three and four, include temporarily or permanently removing a player from the game alongside a five-run penalty....

..However, if the ICC accepts all the law amendments for the international game - which MCC said they expected them to do - an international cricketer could, in theory, be sent off the field.

cricinfo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

So Australia have to either bat the day out or set a target big enough to save the draw on the last day.

There is nothing more beautiful than watching a team try to bat the day out for a draw. A purist's delight :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So Australia have to either bat the day out or set a target big enough to save the draw on the last day.

There is nothing more beautiful than watching a team try to bat the day out for a draw. A purist's delight :D

I love it, it can be as tense as any other form of cricket imo, and this tour the Australians have really shown (to me anyway) they are definitely on road to being best team in world cricket again, puts England's "efforts" in India to shame.

Into the final session heading for a draw this Test unless the wheels come off England style.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This last half an hour of India v Australia has been a bit stupid, carrying on though where no positive result is possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

This last half an hour of India v Australia has been a bit stupid, carrying on though where no positive result is possible.

Yep, it seems as though Kohli is acting the clown. Although he managed to generate a bit of needle with Maxwell who promptly got himself out! I assume that Smith will declare as soon as he reaches the cut-off time.

EDIT - and finally, Kohli offers the draw.

• Advertisement

Turnipman wrote: »
    Yep, it seems as though Kohli is acting the clown. Although he managed to generate a bit of needle with Maxwell who promptly got himself out! I assume that Smith will declare as soon as he reaches the cut-off time.

Yeah, Kohli is good at the needle stuff, great draw for Australia,it's all on the last test now.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Can anybody describe what you would call the pitch in the Ind v Aus test, it seemed very hard to score runs but equally very hard to take wickets. I know there were some big individual scores but the run rates were low.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Can anybody describe what you would call the pitch in the Ind v Aus test, it seemed very hard to score runs but equally very hard to take wickets. I know there were some big individual scores but the run rates were low.

To be honest, I would put it down to a return to traditional test match batting. Australia had the test in the bag until Pujara went out and played the innings of his life. An innings that is the very essence of test cricket.

The match returned to India's favour and then Australia dug-in and saved the game.

On paper, the low run rate and the fact that only 3 innings were played looks bad on the wicket. But the match was on a knife-edge for 2-3 days.

Test Cricket 101 would say to batsmen that the most important thing is to get yourself in and the runs will come. The runs didn't necessarily come in abundance but the value of getting yourself in is a primary objective of test cricket.

Jadeja was probably the only person to go in and just score quick runs. Which showed it was possible. The players that did get themselves in and batted for a long time were essentially just trying to save the match.

It was wonderful test cricket. Cricket we don't see that much anymore.

Well this India Australia games not going to be a draw anyway.

Well this India Australia games not going to be a draw anyway.

Should be over very quickly.

Bangladesh having a good tour of Sri Lanka, lost the first test heavily but came back to win the second and also won the first ODI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Faf du Plessis is packing in after 2019 world cup. Saffas will never win anything unless they rescind the quota rules. 3 non whites, doesn't matter if they are good enough. Amla, Rabada and who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Faf du Plessis is packing in after 2019 world cup. Saffas will never win anything unless they rescind the quota rules. 3 non whites, doesn't matter if they are good enough. Amla, Rabada and who?

Philander?

"Champion Australia batsman Ricky Ponting faced some of the world's finest fast bowlers in his illustrious career, from Wasim and Waqar to Ambrose and Anderson, but he says Proteas paceman Vernon Philander is the hardest bowler he ever faced when conditions suited. Philander was mesmerising on day one of the second Commonwealth Bank Test in Hobart, blowing away Australia's top order with the new ball before returning to finish off the tail and collect 5-21."

Nov 2016

Squatter wrote: »
    Philander?

"Champion Australia batsman Ricky Ponting faced some of the world's finest fast bowlers in his illustrious career, from Wasim and Waqar to Ambrose and Anderson, but he says Proteas paceman Vernon Philander is the hardest bowler he ever faced when conditions suited. Philander was mesmerising on day one of the second Commonwealth Bank Test in Hobart, blowing away Australia's top order with the new ball before returning to finish off the tail and collect 5-21."

Nov 2016

How could I forget him?

England were 20/6 at one point today :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Quieter than third man position in here these days.

How did Jennings get selected for this test series. He is as stiff as a board.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I just caught the end of the lunchtime discussion in the Old Trafford test.

What was the problem that the panel had with the Bairstow lbw - umpire gave it, and on drs it correctly stayed as being out. But the panel discussion seemed to have gone beyond disappointment at the player being out on 99 and were muttering about how it wasn't a good decision and how it would be confusing to the viewers at home?

David Warner taking the high moral ground, Australia at it again

David Warner taking the high moral ground, Australia at it again

In fairness to Warner, who would enjoy being reminded that his missus once had it off with an All Black rugby player in a nightclub toilet? :p

A great morning's test cricket - unless you're an Aussie supporter! SA, led by the brilliant De Villiers (126*) accumulated a lead of 139.

And Rabada has just got Warner for 13! Followed by the usual sedate celebration by the bowler! The Aussies still trail by 112!

Bancroft now gone. Aussies still 73 behind. Get Smith early and they'll be looking good!

And Smith goes cheaply too! SA are on a roll!

England need a new coach and new Test Captain, not sure who I'd plump for captain wise but Root doesn't seem to be capable at present. 58 all out in 21 overs against New Zealand in their first innings. Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,175 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Pathetic? Yes
    Glorious? Absolutely
    :D

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Were 27-9

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Maybe its time for a bowler. They always go for batsmen. Anderson or Broad might offer a fresh perspective on it

Dean Elgar Batted a full day for 121* against Australia, and not a word about it (:

Williamson is 100 not out. Leads by 42 on his own.

I saw this on reddit
    0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,0,0,0,1,0,0,0,1,0,0,1,0,1,0,0,1,0,W,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,W,1,0,4,0,0,0,0,1,4,0,W,0,0,0,0,0,2,0,0,W,0,0,0,0,W,
    0,0,0,0,W,0,2,1,0,0,0,2,0,0,W,0,0,0,W,0,0,0,0,0,4,0,0,0,0,0,W,0,0,0,4,2,2,0,4,0,1,0,0,0,4,1,0,6,1,0,0,0,0,4,0,2,0,0,0,0,W

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

If the score fits on twitter....

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Rabada vs Warner this morning was brilliant, SA vs Aus is imo the best test match cricket match up in last 10 years.

Just hoping ABV plays another few test matches before he calls it quits for good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭VillaMad

Aussies will be in trouble.

Bancroft took something yellow out of his pocket to presumably tamper with the ball. Caught rotten on camera.

Umpires didn't change the ball however and now it's starting to reverse.

South Africa 175/3. Lead by 231.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭flatty

This entire match is now moot in my opinion. The aussies clearly caught sandpapering one side of the ball, which is still being used, and is reverse swinging.
    This match is now pointless in a way.
    It's highly unlikely that this was done as an individual, or that it is the first time.
    This aussie side are just, well, cheats, and now have an asterisk beside every victory.
    It's utterly wrong. Why would a side with their apparent talent resort to this? It has ridiculed the game really.

Advertisement