Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International cricket thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Not too dramatic to say we might never see him in a test match again. Stress fracture in the back following his long layoff with his elbow is not good. Terrible shame if that's the case. After all the talk about his textbook smooth action taking nothing out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,410 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is 27 now… played 13 tests averages 3.2 wickets per test …. Not per innings, per ‘test’.

a worse record in ODI cricket, he’s been an absolute failure out in the IPL… expensive and again not taking wickets.

a complete rabbit with the bat. An average in tests of 7.3 if I’m remembering.

some cricket observers have or had him billed as a superstar in the waiting or in waiting but he hasn’t exactly lived up to the billing or even came remotely close.

As a 27 year old he has played for 9 different club teams across the various leagues..English domestic, IPL, Aussie franchises etc….

that to me reads as a bit of a mercenary chasing $$££$$ as opposed to trophies…

Very little rest… he’s on record in the media about being in ‘a dark place’ following other injuries… yet here he is, traversing the globe, too much cricket, not playing too well and getting injured lots…

whoever is advising him is doing a poor job…

Good heavens, what did I just read? I half expected you to lay the blame at Root's door for over bowling him at times. Did not expect that.

Jofra was sensational in the world cup and the Ashes that followed. Who will ever forget some of his spells that summer. Fast bowling at its very best. He won player of the tournament in the last IPL in played, playing in a poor Rajasthan side. Mumbai paid big for him in the last auction despite him being injured. In no way is he a flop in the IPL.

As regards that ashes series.

22 wickets in 4 tests. Nothing to write home about,

if you were to average it out ..2.75 wickets an innings.

this despite taking two five fors … two performances over four tests.

Not having any of that. There are enough of his later test performances to be critical of, give him his dues for how well he bowled in that Ashes series.

• Advertisement

Another IPL hundred for Buttler puts Rajasthan Royals into Sunday's final. Fourth one of the season. The wait for Kohli and RCB goes on for another year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Getting him dropped on 60 odd (I think it was about that anyway) really killed any feint hope RCB had of defending their score.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Ravi Shastri back on the mic for the IPL final. He was wasted coaching India.

RR making a good fist at defending a very low score so far. Could be a great finish yet.

Titans management obviously picked a terrific all round squad because their players don't feature near the top of many individual stats, but have been a juggernaut this season and are probably worthy winners should they, as seems likely, finish it off.

Not having any of what ? statistics ?

an international class, or world class fast bowler should be averaging 4 wickets per innings.. he averaged 2.75… as you alluded to later performances lacked consistency, results and substance also. The guy is 27, not 23. At an age and level of experience where he should be approaching his peak…performing…but he isn’t… got about 18 months to get on a run of form… what’s keeping him in the side are the lack of viable and talented fast bowlers… that changes he might be history

Robinson out of the test… back problems but has contracted COVID to boot.

• Advertisement

Why are you relying on stats? Which were absolutely fine by the way, didn't you watch him bowl that Ashes? How exciting it was everytime he came on to bowl? No statistics there for that.

Don't get the focus on wickets per innings either. The usual metrics for test bowling are average, strike rate and five/ten wicket hauls. At the end of that series they were all excellent for Archer.

why am I relying on stats ? I’m quoting stats which determine his success thus far as an international test cricketer.

want to know if Shane Warne was a good cricketer ? stats ! He was ‘exciting’ too but was a performer. Exciting alone don’t win tests.

Archer is a cricketer that has had opportunities, is 28 at next birthday…

played far too much club cricket while chasing £$£$£$…all very well but when not taking nearly enough wickets internationally, questions will be asked…

what you can say is that he is economical.

been injured a lot, back again now and elbow injuries…. Won’t be helped by turning up to pull on the shirt of whomever waves a paycheck at him….

playing way too much cricket, look at his career,

He is basically flying around the world playing freelance cricket for any team in any league waving money at him

His bread and butter… Sussex

Khulna tigers (Bangladesh)

Hobart Hurricanes (Australia) 2 stints

Quetta Gladiators (Pakistan)

Rajasthan Royals ( India )

he played club cricket for 3 of those teams plus England… so 4 teams in two years…

close enough to a sporting mercenary…. $£$£$£$£ in fact this record might suggest he in fact is..

Holy crow. All cricketers today are mercenaries in that case. Only for the BCCI stopping them, the great Indians would be playing in the other franchise competitions too. Nothing wrong with it either, professional cricketers are right to maximise their short career.

Jofra Archer is a world class limited overs bowler. He lost his way in test match bowling after a brilliant first series. I've conceded that bit, you're not even giving him credit for the Ashes or his white ball performances. Agree to disagree I think.

England team named for tomorrow. Debut for Potts. Jimmy and Broad play as does Leach. Pope at number three looks like a disaster waiting to happen. Crawley is in no form.

New Zealand themselves were soundly beaten in the warm up game. Williamson a shadow of himself, no Boult so I don't know what to expect.

Maximise your talent and potential or maximise your bank balance….

ALL cricketers are mercenaries ? Virat Kohli, Kraig Braithwaite, Joe Root ? Just three international cricketers off the top of my head who are not globetrotting in the manner of Archer.

As for this series, nether team is in form… England whitewashed in the ashes last time out and New Zealand in somewhat disarray or transition at best… England should have enough to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭MFPM

Good day to say the least for England, they've bowled very well and NZ have been very poor. Expected England to have a bounce with new captain, management and few players with chips on their shoulder and throw in English conditions and NZ's loss of form. Interesting to see how they bat given that's where most of there woes have been.

Nice mini fightback from the NZ tail.

Edit: and it's done, 132 all out.

At 45/7 and England would have been confident of bowling NZ out for a sub 100 total. Be obviously delighted to limit them to 132 all things considered but probably a bit frustrated that they allowed that tail wag to that extent from being 45/7..

solid start by the English openers… nothing risky and the scoreboard is ticking over nicely..

weather is now scheduled to play a significant part unfortunately with rain scheduled on Saturday, Sunday and Monday

Will England even get to 132 :pac: Woeful.

England fortunate they can replace Jack Leach. In a five day test match it makes no sense to be diving like that. Could be a shoulder or something and they're a man down. Not worth it to save a run or two.

Same old story for England. Bowlers doing their job like usual and the batsmen not as usual. New Zealand can't believe their luck they're back in this game.

The batting woes continue for England. Interesting to see how this develops with the weather etc..

• Advertisement

should according to the forecast see a full days play tomorrow. Showers on Saturday and Monday and persistently heavy rain on Sunday….

A result could still be possible however due to the two low first innings scores…a huge first session tomorrow…I’m Ben Stokes I’d be encouraging England to bat very positively, not recklessly but after getting the 16 runs to achieve parity, get bat to ball and try get 40 to 50 ahead… first session is massive. If Ben Foakes who has shown pedigree with a test match century to his name if not consistency can score a few fast runs… dominate the strike…. Englands bowlers can follow it up setting a target of 160… maybe you might see a result. Who knows…

Pretty woeful batting by NZ even allowing for decent conditions and some good bowling.

Decent fightback by Mitchell and Blundell in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭No_Hope_Club

Lead of 227 with 6 wickets remaining after Day 2.

56/4 to 236/4

Great by Mitchell and Blundell. Looked like NZ might struggle to save the test now they’ve put themselves in with a shout, a good shout of winning it. 2/5 with one of the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,975 ✭✭✭Xander10

Yeah just seeing that the forecast has dis-improved a bit after improving initially….

Good bowling by Broad this morning, after all the hard work yesterday NZ have been very slack this morning. If they can push the lead to 300 they'll be in with a good shout of victory. All depends on how England bat now..

277 tough ask for this England batting line up going on previous form.

• Advertisement

A confident, in form team would struggle to get these runs against this attack. Even if they get to 150-2, still would fancy NZ.

Advertisement