Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€2000 Gaming only Build

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

KpsCowley wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

The last few comments have been a good read, I never knew about NVME, 6GB transfer speed would be unreal!

This build is only for gaming. We are going to stick with the 1440p monitor. We were also talking about upping the GPU from the R9 290 to the GTX 980, that would push the overall budget up by €260 to a total of aprox €2200. And also putting the RAM to 16GB for a little future proofing.

Do you guys think these are worthwhile changes?

Personally i wouldnt go past a 290X or a 970 for 1440p. The price/performance really drops off after that.

One 290X or a 970 would be fine for 1440p,wont be maxing every single game but most will run with high settings at 60fps

• Registered Users Posts: 12 David Maye

EoinHef wrote: »
    But its not at a similar price? Its a lot more expensive for something thats of little benefit to a gaming rig. Slightly faster load times would be great but not at 2.5X the price,in my opinion anyway.

Where are you getting 6mb/s for sata? Sata 3 is 6gb/s. In reality i know it rarely achieves that speed but its certainly a hell of a lot faster than 6mb/s

Sorry I was in a rush to go out so i got my Gb's screwed up.

Sata3 6Gb/s = 600 Mb/s on average. ( s is for seconds )

NVMe over 4 PCi Lanes 32Gb/s = 4Gb/s again average.

Hope that clears that up sorry for that.
    Regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

David Maye wrote: »
    Sorry I was in a rush to go out so i got my Gb's screwed up.

Sata3 6Gb/s = 600 Mb/s on average. ( s is for seconds )

NVMe over 4 PCi Lanes 32Gb/s = 4Gb/s again average.

Hope that clears that up sorry for that.
    Regards.

Great! Now throw up some numbers on the benefit for gaming? The percentage and actual time saved on loading games?

The tech is great, for certain uses. I see it as a waste if you can't or are not utilising the benefit.

The ssd benefit for me over hard drives is the access times. Not read and write performance per se.I have an Kingston ssd from a few years ago, and don't notice an really difference in snappyness and response with the newer crucial, samsung and Kingston's ssds I have.

Probably much faster with sustained reads and writes, buy on day to day nothing noticeable.

Total anathema probably to tech enthusiasts but my ssd criteria are reliability, price and then performance, as I find the performance difference negligible for what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 David Maye

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Great! Now throw up some numbers on the benefit for gaming? The percentage and actual time saved on loading games?

The tech is great, for certain uses. I see it as a waste if you can't or are not utilising the benefit.

The ssd benefit for me over hard drives is the access times. Not read and write performance per se.I have an Kingston hard drive from a few years ago, and don't notice an really difference in snappyness and response with the newer crucial, samsung and Kingston's ssds I have.

Probably much faster with sustained reads and writes, buy on day to day nothing noticeable.

Total anathema probably to tech enthusiasts but my ssd criteria are reliability, price and then performance, as I find the performance difference negligible for what I do.[/QUOT

Oh my god, if your happy with your ssd's then i am more than happy for you.
    I am happy with mine too but there is something better around the corner there always is
    I came on here to spread the word not to squabble over what you do on your Computer no one is asking or telling you to buy it. I am just letting people know that it's out there now.The price of this drive and many more like it will end up the same price as your ssd's and mine in the not to distant future.
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Asmooh

if you have 2k to spend why only 8gb? doesnt make sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Apologies, i think i may have driving the OPs thread off topic earlier.

To bring it back on topic, given a budget like that i would probably go for something like this (not run through geizhels).

347611.PNG

If i didnt need it for anything except gaming, i would try to cut back a little on motherboard, cpu, ram and squeeze in a 34" monitor(there's a relatively cheap one on hardwareversand) and second 290, or a single 295x.

Advertisement