Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage may be contracted in accordance with law by two persons without distinction

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I seriously don't think any no voter is interested in your pity.

Rise above the petty hating. Embrace your victory today with good grace.

Is that too much to ask?

I don't think you know what's being said here. Stop trying to make out that the Yes side are nothing but bullies when they have done nothing but disagree with what you believe. You're accusing people of abuse where it doesn't exist and then have the gall to complain about not getting a meaningful discussion. Or is me saying so a horrible act of abuse itself? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭United Chester Men

It will be 70/30 Yes/No. In fact it could surpass that. I find it astounding people think it will be closer. Every indication gives it a Yes vote. Lowish turnout and younger voters.
    Fill your boots. Paddy power giving you 5/6 that it will be over 60.5 / 39.5.

http://www.oddschecker.com/politics/irish-politics/gay-marriage-referendum-yes-vote-percentage
    Thats a given!! Free money there, if ever there was!

Cheers for heads up!

Hope you all got gone!!! Never in doubt......! Never will a beer feel so sweet tonight!

sup_dude wrote: »
    I don't think you know what's being said here. Stop trying to make out that the Yes side are nothing but bullies when they have done nothing but disagree with what you believe. You're accusing people of abuse where it doesn't exist and then have the gall to complain about not getting a meaningful discussion. Or is me saying so a horrible act of abuse itself? :rolleyes:

This victim playing, along with the tactical use of children was a common theme for NO campaigners............ In fairness it worked dfor them. Drew in a few votes in what otherwise may have been a whitewash.

People who voted in an election and their vote won, especially those people who have fronted the campaign, have a right to show happiness and even gloat to a point in my opinion today. What this result means is huge so maybe log off NO voters if you don't want to witness a bit of a natural ecstatic reaction.

This victim playing, along with the tactical use of children was a common theme for NO campaigners............ In fairness it worked dfor them. Drew in a few votes in what otherwise may have been a whitewash.

People who voted in an election and their vote won, especially those people who have fronted the campaign, have a right to show happiness and even gloat to a point in my opinion today. What this result means is huge so maybe log off NO voters if you don't want to witness a bit of a natural ecstatic reaction.

It worked ridiculously well... Even among Yes voters, people are giving out about how the Yes campaign are bullies. I'd be willing to bet an awful lot of money that the vast majority haven't witnessed this bullying and are only taking the work of posters like the one above..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭Rough Sleeper

AlphaRed wrote: »
    Fools, the votes are still being counted.
    There could be a big old clump of No votes all bunched together that they haven't come across yet. They should scrape right down at the bottom of the barrell to see if they're there.

• Advertisement

On a side note, this result could have a great effect on Dublin nightlife/tourism etc. Dublin could have a bit of a San Francisco/Amsterdam effect where a vibe has developed of a "gay friendly" city. Obviously it won't change things to such an effect as to "camp" up the city but I guarantee you there will be more gay bars/festivals in the next few years. Can only improve the tourism aspect to give us a bit more identity than shamrocks and guiness...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Black Menorca

This is a resounding victory for marriage equality. An historic day for all who participated on all sides.

Don't sully it with petty bickering.

This is a resounding victory for marriage equality. An historic day for all who participated on all sides.

Or maybe I'm just tired of crap like whatever it was you were trying to do? I was in a great mood but stuff like that is starting to really piss me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Or maybe I'm just tired of crap like whatever it was you were trying to do? I was in a great mood but stuff like that is starting to really piss me off.

Sincere suggestion Sup Dude, you worked very hard for this yes vote, if I were you I'd get off the web and go celebrate the win with some real people.

Sincere suggestion Sup Dude, you worked very hard for this yes vote, if I were you I'd get off the web and go celebrate the win with some real people.

Believe me, I would if I could. I can't though, I'm stuck in the house.

• Advertisement

Excellent idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

Believe me, I would if I could. I can't though, I'm stuck in the house.

Oh, well have a good evening anyway. You deserve it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭tipparetops

going by the tallies so fay, it must be tough being gay outside the cities.
    Thats the saddest result of the referendum so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Its comment like this I refer to. Ungracious and disrespectful.

However I'm delighted to see good people like John Lyons, James Reilly and Mary-Lou being good winners this morning.

I never doubted it to be honest. Politicians are great people who make big sacrifices for little thanks. Good to see John, particularly, so happy. A very decent chap.

Ah thank you for quoting me. I didn't hear Iona or Morhers and Fathers matter tell the truth. They told the same lies over and over again even when corrected.

At least there's Eurovision tonight.

traprunner wrote: »
    Ah thank you for quoting me. I didn't hear Iona or Morhers and Fathers matter tell the truth. They told the same lies over and over again even when corrected.

I'm not re-running the campaign. Not tonight, not ever. :)

Marriage has been granted to same sex couples. Job done, now I move on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭tom_tarbucket

Wonder will any acts mention it in eurovision tonight.

Wonder will any acts mention it in eurovision tonight.

I would definitely say so when it comes to hearing the votes form the Irish 'jury'. Will it be Derek Mooney I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

Says the spectre at the feast spouting mealy mouthed platitudes. You have tried to suppress equality and should hang your head in shame. This wasnt a referendum about the price of bread, this was peoples lives you were fùcking with.

Says the spectre at the feast spouting mealy mouthed platitudes. You have tried to suppress equality and should hang your head in shame. This wasnt a referendum about the price of bread, this was peoples lives you were fùcking with.

I have no shame for playing my part in the democratic process and totalitarian hate speech like this, demonising an opposing view, makes for scary reading for our future democracy.

• Advertisement

I have no shame for playing my part in the democratic process and totalitarian hate speech like this, demonising an opposing view, makes for scary reading for our future democracy.

Democracy is synonymous with equality. Repression and subjugation of the people is the purview of the catholic church, presided over by the infallible pope old white bloke the tenth or whatever.
    I dont hate you I think you are out of step with the times and are scared. By fighting to maintain the status quo you are causing harm to others. You need to adapt or get left behind.

Democracy is synonymous with equality. Repression and subjugation of the people is the purview of the catholic church, presided over by the infallible pope old white bloke the tenth or whatever.
    I dont hate you I think you are out of step with the times and are scared. By fighting to maintain the status quo you are causing harm to others. You need to adapt or get left behind.

Glad to hear that, seriously, I am.

Today was a great day for democracy in Ireland.

The Yes campaign was able to mobilise a cohort of voters that were lost to the process.

Our challenge is to harness those voices and bring them along into the general political landscape.

Reading BS about me being a spectre and causing harm is disappointing. I'm always moving on and am already onto the next political challenge. I'm probably way ahead of you.

Glad to hear that, seriously, I am.

Today was a great day for democracy in Ireland.

The Yes campaign was able to mobilise a cohort of voters that were lost to the process.

Our challenge is to harness those voices and bring them along into the general political landscape.

Reading BS about me being a spectre and causing harm is disappointing. I'm always moving on and am already onto the next political challenge. I'm probably way ahead of you.

I believe your comments have caused harm and distress to people. I find it hard to believe you are unaware of this. You want to treat people like second class citizens.
    Im sure you know spectre at the feast is an idiom. Sounds better than saying you are hanging around like a bad smell.
    I hope these newly enfranchised voters are in favour of an egalitarian society and not influenced by the vagaries of religion.

I believe your comments have caused harm and distress to people. I find it hard to believe you are unaware of this. You want to treat people like second class citizens.
    Im sure you know spectre at the feast is an idiom. Sounds better than saying you are hanging around like a bad smell.
    I hope these newly enfranchised voters are in favour of an egalitarian society and not influenced by the vagaries of religion.

I engaged in the democratic process.

I hold no grudges and move on. Take my losses on the chin and my few victories with humility.

I engaged in the democratic process.

I hold no grudges and move on. Take my losses on the chin and my few victories with humility.

You engaged in the democratic process without recourse to empathy or compassion. You will move ahead to your next campaign without a second thought for those who asked you to accept them. No evidence of grace or humility.

You engaged in the democratic process without recourse to empathy or compassion. You will move ahead to your next campaign without a second thought for those who asked you to accept them. No evidence of grace or humility.

Just wrong. So wrong. But so be it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Just wrong. So wrong. But so be it. :)

Do you apologise to the people who may have been offended by your comments in lead up to the referendum?

Not necessarily for the comments, but for causing offence or distress?

Breda is still here :eek:

Sand wrote: »
    Do you apologise to the people who may have been offended by your comments in lead up to the referendum?

Not necessarily for the comments, but for causing offence or distress?

I never intentionally mean to cause offence to anyone and would always apologise if I did.

Thats a basic, to be honest. Integrity is everything to me.

• Advertisement

Fair enough - I read the moving on to the next conflict, whilst brushing off the behaviour in the last conflict as sociopathic, but if you are apologising for the hurt caused then I suppose that cant be true.

Sand wrote: »
    Fair enough - I read the moving on to the next conflict, whilst brushing off the behaviour in the last conflict as sociopathic, but if you are apologising for the hurt caused then I suppose that cant be true.

Being a political activist means there's always the next conflict is always around the corner. New alliances are made and battle commences until a result is reached.

I've yet to be shown something I should apologise for by the way. :) But feel free to trawl through my posts and find offence.

Being a political activist means there's always the next conflict is always around the corner. New alliances are made and battle commences until a result is reached.

I've yet to be shown something I should apologise for by the way. :) But feel free to trawl through my posts and find offence.

Like I said elsewhere, the problem with Irish politics is not the Irish voter, its the Irish political caste. Very surprising the Labour party is so unpopular.

Is this what you call political activism............................!!! :D

Is this what you call political activism............................!!! :D

I've been involved in many campaigns. Really enjoyed it too.

I've been involved in many campaigns. Really enjoyed it too.

I'll resist this one................. It is far too easy!

• Advertisement

I'll resist this one................. It is far too easy!

Whats up with you?

Is it something I've said thats got up your nose?

I think you are either astoundingly un-self aware, or you are Walter Mitty. There does not seem to be any similarities between who you think you are and how you come across.
    To have a mass said for those who would deny others equal rights is crass in the extreme.
    Have you considered that you might be working for the Father of Lies and I dont mean John Waters.

Whats up with you?

Is it something I've said thats got up your nose?

Yep, its like a laughing gas!! I thank you for it! keep it coming!

I think you are either astoundingly un-self aware, or you are Walter Mitty. There does not seem to be any similarities between who you think you are and how you come across.
    To have a mass said for those who would deny others equal rights is crass in the extreme.
    Have you considered that you might be working for the Father of Lies and I dont mean John Waters.

I'm not here to re-fight the campaign, though I disagree with your premise on wishing to deny rights.

I'm a Catholic, I have Masses said frequently.

You can throw around slurs like Walter Mitty. but in reality, this is about your issue with people of a Catholic persuasion.

You're not alone either. But projecting the issues on to me won't cut it. :)

Yep, its like a laughing gas!! I thank you for it! keep it coming!

Nope, I still don't get you.

• Advertisement

I'm not here to re-fight the campaign, though I disagree with your premise on wishing to deny rights.

You can throw around slurs like Walter Mitty. but in reality, this is about your issue with people of a Catholic persuasion.

Talk about doing anything to portray yourself as the victim.

Damn you got me. I dont think catholics should be allowed to marry.
    Also there has been a campaign of people responding to your posts like it was a bleedïn discussion or something.

If you get upset when someone takes the piss out of you, imagine how you would feel if you couldnt have a mass said for people who kick dogs or another of your cause du jour .

Alphared... Black Menorca or whatever you are going by on your current log in. Genuine question. Seeing that there were so many masses said for this amendment to fail do you agree that it was gods will for it to pass and for everyone to accept that gay people exist and have rights too?

If you get upset when someone takes the piss out of you, imagine how you would feel if you couldnt have a mass said for people who kick dogs or another of your cause du jour .

It doesn't upset me. I mere;y don't allow folk project their own issues on to me. :)

Alphared... Black Menorca or whatever you are going by on your current log in. Genuine question. Seeing that there were so many masses said for this amendment to fail do you agree that it was gods will for it to pass and for everyone to accept that gay people exist and have rights too?

Alphared?

Alphared?

So is it not gods will after all the masses were said??

It doesn't upset me. I mere;y don't allow folk project their own issues on to me. :)

You mean like how you have being using this referendum to promote your own prejudices?

You mean like how you have being using this referendum to promote your own prejudices?

Heck, I'm human. I'm full of contradictions, ironies, faults and enthusiasm for what I do.

But I do try to keep my integrity intact. When I advocate for something, I do so from a place of responsibility and genuine belief it is best for the country. Sometimes I'm on the side of the angels and sometimes that of the devils.

I'd not have it any other way.

So is it not gods will after all the masses were said??

Alphared?

• Advertisement
Advertisement