Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

REAL MADRID VS. ATLÉTICO MADRID

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭GreNoLi

Ronaldo just needs a body language coach to stave off the majority of criticism he receives.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Providing an assist in the 88th minute to basically win a game, how dare he celebrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭passremarkable

Darragh has filled in the role very well.
    Think he is very good at his job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,496 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Ha, good man Darragh.

Richie: Ronaldo ran off on his own celebrating...

Darragh: So?

(Paraphrasing, but good to see.)

Dunphy mentioning about praising the Lord too as a sign of what it shows. Could see the smirks after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

GreNoLi wrote: »
    Ronaldo just needs a body language coach to stave off the majority of criticism he receives.

This makes sense, but it'd be better if people just paid attention to his actual footballing, rather than caring if he celebrates on his own/shrugs his shoulders/changes his poxy hair at half time.

Such a great player, never seen anything like him when he's firing on all cylinders (which is an absurd amount of the time).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Providing an assist in the 88th minute to basically win a game, how dare he celebrate.

Show me 10 other clips when the person that gets a basic assist has the camera on him celebrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Jelle1880 wrote: »

If it was a one off nobody would care, but Ronaldo is at that stuff all the time. He has an obnoxious persona on the pitch, it's ridiculous that people try to deny that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Some people will do anything to attack Ronaldo- it was silly as the criticism of Ozil swapping jerseys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

This makes sense, but it'd be better if people just paid attention to his actual footballing, rather than caring if he celebrates on his own/shrugs his shoulders/changes his poxy hair at half time.

Such a great player, never seen anything like him when he's firing on all cylinders (which is an absurd amount of the time).

I disagree. Bale is a close resemblance to him when he's firing on all cylinders (which isn't that often).

• Advertisement

Who cares about his persona?

You don't have to have dinner with him, just watch him banging them in for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Does anyone actually care about Ronaldo celebrating? Same people would probably be moaning if he just walked away after the goal for not celebrating

Just watch him banging them in for fun.

Havn't seen that against Atletico :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Show me 10 other clips when the person that gets a basic assist has the camera on him celebrating.

That's the camera man's fault, not Ronaldo's.

edit: James did the exact same by the way.

OOH Pirlo.

Havn't seen that against Atletico :pac:

God, can you imagine the celebration?

:-D

• Advertisement

'Worldly Italian visage', nice from Eamo.

Who cares about his persona?

You don't have to have dinner with him, just watch him banging them in for fun.

I think it's weird that when you watch sport you only pay attention to the players' skills and never their attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Didi got the Bayern thing totally wrong.

Pep wanted the doctor available at all training sessions. He wasn't though. When lahm got injured there was no doctor to treat him. Only physio. Sent pep over the edge.

Nothing to do with forcing players back.

Pro. F wrote: »
    I think it's weird that when you watch sport you only pay attention to the players' skills and never their attitudes.

Not quite what I said. If by attitude you mean workrate etc, of course that's important.

It just bugs me that people get hung up on whether or not reigning world player of the year smiles when he passes etc.

And now I'm commenting on it. Jesus!

(Oh, Bale in full flight is magic too, whoever said it above.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,745 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Of all the times to pick on Ronaldo for celebrating alone, its the time he foregoes the chance of glory in a 1 on 1 with the keeper to give his team mate a tap in..

• Advertisement

Not quite what I said. If by attitude you mean workrate etc, of course that's important.

It just bugs me that people get hung up on whether or not reigning world player of the year smiles when he passes etc.

And now I'm commenting on it. Jesus!

(Oh, Bale in full flight is magic too, whoever said it above.)

No, I don't mean work rate. What I mean is character as presented when playing football, ie persona. The logical conclusion of what you said is that you don't care about how players act on the pitch other than how it directly effects the game. I think that must be a very dull and soulless way to watch a sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,057 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Although Real weren't great, a good result for football tonight.Atleti wanted to win ugly.

Pro. F wrote: »
    No, I don't mean work rate. What I mean is character as presented when playing football, ie persona. The logical conclusion of what you said is that you don't care about how players act on the pitch other than how it directly effects the game. I think that must be a very dull and soulless way to watch a sport.

Fair enough. Taking it to extremes a bit, but there you go.

I'm more of a score a cracker, decent handshake, then back to business kind of fella.

Trevor Brooking, Match of the 70's style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Ronaldo has declined in his overall game. Lost some pace & can't beat players anymore. Still a great goalscorer though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Ronaldo hasn't beaten players since his United days because he figured out he could score 40 goals a season without the need to beat a player

Nothing new here folks, move along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Ronaldo hasn't beaten players since his United days because he figured out he could score 40 goals a season without the need to beat a player

Nothing new here folks, move along

Ye that's it. He makes a point of losing the ball whenever he tries to beat a man, just to prove he doesn't need to beat him to score 40 goals a season. Riiiiiiiight

His dribbles per game are as low as one for the whole season, it's not part of his game anymore simply because he doesn't need to do it

The suggestion that Cristiano Ronaldo cannot beat players if he wanted to is utterly retarded

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Livvie

Kirby wrote: »
    Henry is talking a fierce amount of sh*te here.....

Wasn't he just.

The moral highground from a cheat....

His dribbles per game are as low as one for the whole season, it's not part of his game anymore simply because he doesn't need to do it

The suggestion that Cristiano Ronaldo cannot beat players if he wanted to is utterly retarded

The suggestion that a player refuses to ever take on a man is utterly retarded, because "it's not part of his game". On par with "I only lost that game of fifa cause I wasn't really trying".......ye sure. I've seen him try plenty of times and fail. Why? Because he is muck at dribbling. I'll let you in on a secret. Just because one is a "great athlete" with "lightning pace" doesn't actually mean they are any good at running with a ball at their feet. Otherwise Usain Bolt would be a top player. As I've said numerous times, he is a world class goal scorer, who is found wanting in most other departments of open play. Saying he could beat his man if he wanted to just because he is CRISTIANO RONALDO isn't really an argument that makes one blind bit of difference. He was also poor at dribbling at united, which is why he would mainly get the ball on the wing and run straight towards the corner flag, while rarely taking on a man during his time there. He knows his limitations, and he also knows that there's millions of deluded fanboys who will try and cover this fact up for him, so thinks he gets away with it

And with one swift post any history of Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United was deleted

A shít dribbler, ffs I've seen some drivel on this forum but that must be up there

• Advertisement

Fair enough. Taking it to extremes a bit, but there you go.

I'm more of a score a cracker, decent handshake, then back to business kind of fella.

Trevor Brooking, Match of the 70's style.

Alan Shearer

And with one swift post any history of Cristiano Ronaldo at Manchester United was deleted

A shít dribbler, ffs I've seen some drivel on this forum but that must be up there

I've noticed that any time I actually engage you on the topic of Ronaldo, you only seem to be able to avoid the points made, and try and take some moral high ground that any criticism of Ronaldo is ridiculous and roll your eyes. It's almost as if you know what I'm saying is true and have no real argument to counter it. Its ok, some players are great at scoring goals and have very little to the rest of their game. Gerd Muller made a career of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

He was also poor at dribbling at united, which is why he would mainly get the ball on the wing and run straight towards the corner flag, while rarely taking on a man during his time there.

Are you actually serious? I personally don't like Ronaldo, and think Messi is better, but you have to be out of your mind to say he's a poor dribbler. Ronaldo is as good a dribbler as any and would run rings around the best of defenders, even in his United days.

Are you actually serious? I personally don't like Ronaldo, and think Messi is better, but you have to be out of your mind to say he's a poor dribbler. Ronaldo is as good a dribbler as any and would run rings around the best of defenders, even in his United days.

Except he never does it, even though he supposedly can at will, but it's just that it's not part of his game? Ye sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,831 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Except he never does it, even though he supposedly can at will, but it's just that it's not part of his game? Ye sure

Do you want proof of him doing it?

Try youtube.com for videos
    Several several videos

Literally a 2 second youtube search yields thousands of videos of Ronaldo's dribbling ability.

I accept that he's lost some pace, and doesn't come deep and take the ball as much as he use to, but he's still a joy to watch with the ball at his feet.

Didn't take that newborn myth long to be debunked

What'll we argue next, Ronaldo can't pass? Can't run? Can't do his hair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ronaldo since he's got affected by tendonitis is no longer AS good at dribbling and running past players. Emphasis on the 'as'. He's still bloody good. Better than that Barkley lad.

I wonder though how much the tendonitis is actually at him, maybe he'd slightly twisted his knee tonight. But it has been causing him problems the past 2 years.

Also, wtf was Henry on about with Chico? :confused: His first champions league goal for Madrid, that qualifies them, and you say he shouldn't go wild? :confused::confused:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HSWTcsKQDo

There you go mate.

Edit: Beaten to it.

• Advertisement

Literally a 2 second youtube search yields thousands of videos of Ronaldo's dribbling ability.

I accept that he's lost some pace, and doesn't come deep and take the ball as much as he use to, but he's still a joy to watch with the ball at his feet.

Watched his first 7 attacks in that before turning it off. 7 attacks and he beats one man. All these step overs and taking a shot before going around him isn't beating a man. Maybe try watching it again. If I was to play 615 matches, I'm sure I'd be able to beat a few men here and there too, despite being awful at dribbling, then put up a 2 minute video of the few times I did beat someone to "prove" otherwise. Using an exception to the rule isn't really debunking an argument

Watched his first 7 attacks in that before turning it off. 7 attacks and he beats one man. All these step overs and taking a shot before going around him isn't beating a man. Maybe try watching it again. If I was to play 615 matches, I'm sure I'd be able to beat a few men here and there too, despite being awful at dribbling, then put up a 2 minute video of the few times I did beat someone to "prove" otherwise. Using an exception to the rule isn't really debunking an argument

You should watch the one I linked, he beat about 2-3 players nearly every clip.

https://vine.co/v/eapzZPHHZlH

At least he sings the Athems

You should watch the one I linked, he beat about 2-3 players nearly every clip.

The likes of Ribery have about 4 minutes footage of beating players per game

The likes of Ribery have about 4 minutes footage of beating players per game

There's not a facepalm gif strong enough.

There's not a facepalm gif strong enough.

Even the Ronaldo fanboys here are saying he doesn't beat his man and making excuses for it, so how is what I'm saying rubbish regardless of whether there is a reason for him not doing it? You actually think he's a world class dribbler? You honestly gonna tell me you see him beating men every game the way Robben, Messi and Ribery do?

• Advertisement

Even the Ronaldo fanboys here are saying he doesn't beat his man and making excuses for it, so how is what I'm saying rubbish regardless of whether there is a reason for not doing it? You actually think he's a world class dribbler? You honestly gonna tell me, you see him beating men every game the way Robben, Messi and Ribery do?

I was talking about his United days. I don't watch enough of him now to comment on Madrid

Even the Ronaldo fanboys here are saying he doesn't beat his man and making excuses for it, so how is what I'm saying rubbish regardless of whether there is a reason for not doing it? You actually think he's a world class dribbler? You honestly gonna tell me, you see him beating men every game the way Robben, Messi and Ribery do?

You seriously have to be trolling. Ronaldo is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world, and while I think Messi is better, they're both outstanding with the ball at their feet, as are the likes of Robben, Ribery, Suarez, Reus etc. How you can believe that Ronaldo is a poor dribbler is just beyond me.

You seriously have to be trolling. Ronaldo is undoubtedly one of the best players in the world, and while I think Messi is better, they're both outstanding with the ball at their feet, as are the likes of Robben, Ribery, Suarez, Reus etc. How you can believe that Ronaldo is a poor dribbler is just beyond me.

In comparison to the players mentioned he is poor. I've seen him play loads, and as others have said, he doesn't even try and beat men anymore. He will just normally lose it and concede possession. And I'm genuinely not trolling. The fact he tries so many step-overs and pre-practiced tricks in games tell it's own story I would have thought? If he could ghost past players with ease like the others, there would be know need for them

The fact he tries so many step-overs and pre-practiced tricks in games tell it's own story I would have thought? If he could ghost past players with ease like the others, there would be know need for them

So on that logic, Ronaldinho couldn't dribble?

In comparison to the players mentioned he is poor. I've seen him play loads, and as others have said, he doesn't even try and beat men anymore. He will just normally lose it and concede possession. And I'm genuinely not trolling. The fact he tries so many step-overs and pre-practiced tricks in games tell it's own story I would have thought? If he could ghost past players with ease like the others, there would be know need for them

The tricks are part of his 'act', sure he was doing step overs like mad in his early days at United. And most of the time he collects the ball in an advanced position with the defence already stretched because his teammates are making runs, therefore he doesn't need to dribble past 4 or 5 players because if he dribbles past 1, he has a free shot on goal which normally results in a goal.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement