Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking at upgrading 3 year old PC - Advice needed

Options
  • 22-04-2015 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I got my current PC 3 years ago and am looking into whether some upgrades are needed given the advent of GTA 5 and the Witcher with 4k settings.

Currently I have:

Intel i7-3770 3.4ghz
    Asus P8Z77-V
    EVGA Geforce GTX 680 2gb
    32gb ram Gskill Ripjaw DDR3-1600 (it was pretty cheap at the time hence the overkill)
    Coolermaster Silent Pro Gold 800w
    Crucial M4 256gb SSD
    2x WD Caviar Green 2TB

I was mainly looking at swapping in either a 970 or 980 but wasn't sure if the price difference was worth it to go with the 980. If I went with the 980 would I need to change the i7 out as well to get the most out of the cards?

I mainly use the machine for gaming and would like to move up to 4k if possible without having to sell a kidney or my firstborn. Probably could spend around €800 maybe even stretch to €1k if needed.

Any advice or pointers on the build would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

New GPU is all you need. SLI 970s are better than a 980, not much more expensive. Crossfire Radeon R9 290s or 290X's, or even a R9 295X2 will all fit no issue.

AMD cards preform better than nVidia at high resolutions, so I'd recommend one of the three, or wait until June for the 300 series.

290X seem to be the perferred set up online. A custom cooled one like this is recommended too.

Honestly the game is quite well optimized, your machine will be able to run it on high enough settings, though if upgrading upgrade to anything above a 280x (3gb vram)

Advertisement