Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Forward or double taper fly line?

Options
  • 22-04-2015 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

I am a beginner fly fisher and I was wondering which line would be better for me,a double taper or weight forward fly line?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Double taper, unless you are planning very long casts - which as a beginner I'll assume not.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Yea As srameen said Double taper, Shoots out, just what you need, then buy a weight foward line when you are more experianced!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

Weight forward, no point buying a temporary line, all you are doing is wasting money, you will get used to weight forward with a bit of practice and once you have the hang you will be able to shoot the line out a good distance no bother. There are really good lines out there to suit your budget. Cheapish but good floating line is Snowbee XS it costs around €40-€45 or if you want a really good quality line the Rio Gold is excellent but expensive maybe around €70. But cheap lines wont cast as well as good lines so if you are going to get one make and investment in a good line. But this is just my opinion.

Tight Lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

Well Rio gold is perfect but i doubt he'd pay out 70e for a fly line, You could just get barrio lines i herd there really good for 25e! In my opinion i think he might start off the a fairly good line, Not to expensive or cheap, until he gets more experienced with casting as he is just beginning!

Good luck

mikeweed wrote: »
    Weight forward, no point buying a temporary line, all you are doing is wasting money, you will get used to weight forward with a bit of practice and once you have the hang you will be able to shoot the line out a good distance no bother. There are really good lines out there to suit your budget. Cheapish but good floating line is Snowbee XS it costs around €40-€45 or if you want a really good quality line the Rio Gold is excellent but expensive maybe around €70. But cheap lines wont cast as well as good lines so if you are going to get one make and investment in a good line. But this is just my opinion.

Tight Lines.

Weight forward is only advantageous if casting over 80ft. We are dealing with a raw beginner here. DT gives more accuracy and more delicate casts. For a beginner, or anybody fishing less than 80ft there is no argument; DT every time. DT is easier when mending your line and has the added advantage of being reversible when line wares.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭mikeweed

I agree but what I did was got a cheapish line, fairly decent rod and cheap reel and after a while I was fishing better that my equipment could so I had to upgrade all my gear again and when I did I was amazed how much better I was because I got a good rod (now Im not talking one of those rods that cost €1000) I got an Airflo Delta Classic, Airflo Cassette reel and Rio gold line. It made a huge difference to my casting having better gear, so now I have a whole other set of fly fishing gear that will sit in my room gathering dust.

I wished some one had pulled me aside and told me to spend a few quid more and that if I did I wouldn't need to fork out again to upgrade after a year. But I was very seroius about learning flyfishing so if this fella is serious I would spend the extra money. I don't know where he is based but if its anywhere near Tipperary or Waterford I would recommend calling to Andrew Ryan in Clonanav www.flyfishingireland.com , he will set him up with gear that suit him and his budget. He will not sell you a load of stuff you don't want or need. I got my second set of him 3 years ago and still used it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭BrownTrout

For learning to cast, a weight forward is probably better as you'll find it easier to get longer casts (distance is all beginners care a about!). When you get that "shoot line to the horizon" bug out of your system and realise that presentation is more important, switch to a double taper

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭MadDog1999

Thanks for all the replies I will get double taper.

Tight Lines,
    MadDog1999

Look at Barrio fly lines. They make a very highly regarded "Mallard" Double Taper line, £24 with free postage to Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Slasher

I was looking at buying a new Barrio Mallard DT line online.

https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.html#!/Barrio-Mallard-DT-Fly-Lines/p/39425987/category=10329715

Can someone please tell me what does "3F", "4F", etc mean?

Thank you?

• Advertisement

Slasher wrote: »
    I was looking at buying a new Barrio Mallard DT line online.

https://www.flylineshop.com/shop.html#!/Barrio-Mallard-DT-Fly-Lines/p/39425987/category=10329715

Can someone please tell me what does "3F", "4F", etc mean?

Thank you?

The F is the weight of the line. Your rod and reel should have a weighting that you match the line to.

Thanks, Sraneem.

On the rod, just above the butt, it says "6 - 7". (Rod is a 10' 6" carbon fibre three piece).

Presumably that means I need to look for a 6F or 7F line?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

The F is the weight of the line. Your rod and reel should have a weighting that you match the line to.

I would assume in this instance F means floating. 7F would be an AFTM 7 Floating Line. S sinking, I intermediate etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Slasher wrote: »
    Thanks, Sraneem.

On the rod, just above the butt, it says "6 - 7". (Rod is a 10' 6" carbon fibre three piece).

Presumably that means I need to look for a 6F or 7F line?

6-7 is the AFTM rating of the rod. means it is balanced for a 6 or 7 weight fly line.

viper123 wrote: »
    I would assume in this instance F means floating. 7F would be an AFTM 7 Floating Line. S sinking, I intermediate etc.

Apologies. Of course I meant the F number.

If your buying a double taper, get it in a 6wt DT6F. This is a double taper, 6wt floating line

Thank you very much, everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I would go with a 7 weight line with a 6/7 rod if you are learning. The heavier line will load the rod faster, which will make learning to cast easier, will also make short range casts easier. It will be a little less delicate compared to a 6 though.

Advertisement