Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summer Cycle

• 22-04-2015 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I posted on here last year about a planned cycle from Meath to Kerry.
    Due to several reasons mainly believing I could complete it , I never did it.

This year I set some real goals, running 10ks, competing in an adventure race and giving the diet & body an overhaul.

I'm 2 stone down since Xmas and now have the confidence to get on my bike and head for Kerry.

Day 1, Ratoath too Birr 128k approx
    Day 2, Birr too Limerick 80k approx
    Day 3 Limerick too castlegregory ( via foynes & north Kerry ) approx 130k.

Accommodation booked, dates Aug bank holiday.
    Training is going ok as I'm preparing for a adventure race in June.

I want to see Ireland in a way I wouldn't normally, cycling through the heart of the country.

How dose it sound? Would you guys do anything differently ?
    You're thoughts / feedback would be great.

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭Bloggsie

Fairplay to you Kerryfootball, my only tips would be to ensure the clothing you wear each day is not new and food & drink on longish spins to get it right, the last thing you need is to be hitting the wall with nothing left to eat and still have 20 or so kms to go.

happy trails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Try avoid thinking like a motorist i.e. don't cycle roads you would drive on normally. Quieter roads are nicer to cycle on.

Get to Birr on day 1.

Day 2; Birr, Portumna, Gort, Corofin(Clare) cutting cross country to Kilkee

Day 3; Kilkee, Ferry, Tarbert, Tralee, Castlegregory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 702 ✭✭✭QueensGael

I wouldn't take the coast road from Limerick to Foynes (N69). It's very narrow in places and has a lot of trucks and speed demons. The most scenic part is near Foynes/Glin, which you'll also see if you take the Tarbert Ferry as the previous poster suggested. I'd strongly recommend taking the ferry instead of the coast/estuary road.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Kerryfootball

Thanks for advice guys I appreciate it.

I have changed my plan now and will stop in Ennis and head for the ferry on the last day.

Some good tips regarding new clothing and food etc.

Advertisement