Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heel drop

Options
  • 22-04-2015 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭

Ok, my stock of shoes has dwindled and it is time to find a new set of race shoes. (With wide feet it is quite a problem to find light weight shoes.)
    Mizuno messed up the Wave Rider after 13 (>distances greater than 15k) and the Kinvara (up to 15k) no longer comes in a wide fitting.:(

Heel drop measurements seem to have become a standard measurement. I understand what it is ... I do not understand what the implications are. Is is just a personal preference or is there more to it - I'm guess the pattern of foot strike is a factor ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Where's that piece of string....... :)

Wave Rider 18 has gone down a storm with anyone that I have fitted. Dramatic improvements and feedback is people are getting on great with it.

Heel drop is not a way to select your shoes. It is a way to find a shoe that works with your geometry and mechanics. There is far too many people forcing themselves to be a forefoot runner when they are naturally set up as a heel lander. The key thing IMO is where the majority of the landing forces are being distributed. As a heel lander I need to be aware of landing softly, transferring to the middle of my foot and feeling the dissipation of the force there rather than at the heel.

Heel drop simply enables this in a smoother manner. Most shoes are gone from 12/13mm to 8/10 bracket and most people don't notice any change other than their shoe wears differently on the outsole.

If you are a natural heel lander and 'force' change by using a 4mm or zero drop shoe that is where the adjustment period of tight calves etc comes into play.

I think your current set up of Kinvara to 15k and Rider >15k indicates that you are already in tune with what works for you. The higher Rider gives more comfort and creates less fatigue on the longer runs by using your calf slightly less in each stride.

It's just about getting shoes that fit and work for you now.

HTH

Advertisement