Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rock/Metal albums inspired by literature

Options
  • 22-04-2015 8:59pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm reading Moby Dick at the moment, which has me listening to 2 fantastic albums which have drawn inspiration from the book: Ahab - Call of the Wreched Sea and Mastodon - Leviathan. Thinking about it, I realised quite a few of my favourite albums have been inspired by great works of literature.

Ahab - Call of the Wreched Sea (Moby Dick by Herman Melville)
    Ahab - The Giant (The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allen Poe)
    Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle Earth (The Silmarillion by JRR Tolkien)
    Camel - Music Inspired by the Snow Goose (The Snow Goose: A Story of Dunkirk by Paul Gallico)
    Demons and Wizards - Touched by the Crimson King (The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King)
    Mastodon - Leviathan (Moby Dick by Herman Melville)

This combines 2 of my favourite things in the world, reading and rock/metal so I guess that's why I like the connection so much :)

Any other albums inspired similarly?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Sabbat - Dreamweaver

Inspired by the book 'The Way of Wyrd: Tales of an Anglo-Saxon Sorcerer' by Brian Bates. It's unbelievable how well they blended thrash metal, incredibly literate lyrics and pagan imagery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Lots of metal has been inspired by Lovecraft, but I particularly love this..

http://witchhouserocks.com/

"A NEW HARD ROCK MUSICAL JOURNEY, FUSING SYMPHONIC HEAVY METAL, RADIO THEATRE AND COSMIC HORROR, ADAPTED FROM H.P. LOVECRAFT'S, "THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE" (1933). "

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Lots of metal has been inspired by Lovecraft, but I particularly love this..

http://witchhouserocks.com/

"A NEW HARD ROCK MUSICAL JOURNEY, FUSING SYMPHONIC HEAVY METAL, RADIO THEATRE AND COSMIC HORROR, ADAPTED FROM H.P. LOVECRAFT'S, "THE DREAMS IN THE WITCH HOUSE" (1933). "

Nice, I like the sound of that stuff and I'm a fan of Lovecraft :) I had heard some of a band called Great Old Ones and saw a bit of them at Roadburn, but musically they weren't something I'd go for.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not an album but just a track from Powerslave...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Cradle of Filth's Midian is based on Clive Barker's Cabal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

It sounds mighty cheesy now but Jeff Waynes War of the Worlds has some very good songs, and features Phil Lynott.

Full album on youtube here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlpl-RzsCck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Sepultura - Dante XXI (2006) & A-Lex (2009)

Dante XXI based on The Divine Comedy by Dante Alighieri

A-Lex based on A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess

Anthrax - Among The Living (1987)

Not entire album but the tracks "A Skeleton In The Closet", "I Am The Law" & The Title track are based on literature.

I Am the Law many will know is based on Judge Dredd.

Among The Living based on The Stand by Stephen King.
    A Skeleton In The Closet, Apt Pupil; again by Stephen King.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Rush - 2112, influenced by Fountainhead by Ayn Rand

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I feel like a right tit for not knowing that about 2112 :o

Advertisement