Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vintage Omega Geneve repair

• 22-04-2015 9:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭

My Father in Law has this watch for around 40 years.It's gold plated and comes on a plated metal strap. Unfortunately some plating has chipped off over the years and one of the lugs has broken meaning the strap won't stay in place.
    Anyone know roughly how much it would cost to repair this, or would it be better to seek out a decent second hand case through the internet auction sites?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Pottering

I suspect you may be better seeking out a good replacement case.
    Having searched around on this topic the year before last I gave up on getting a case re-plated. There seems to be very mixed views on how successful the process is likely to be, however one crowd I did come across is RePlateIt in Canada. Their website has indicative prices and you can send them photos for an estimate. I did not bother in the end so this is not in any way a recommendation.
    The broken lug may also be a big issue.

What is the number on the inside of the case back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

I was thinking that a replacement case would be the way to go. I'll check out the numbers on the case back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭CarltonBrowne

Re-plating really seems to be a nightmare and I'd suggest you give Easy Electroplating in the UK a wide berth as well. A NOS case would be the best solution (make sure that you keep the old case to one sideso that you still have the complete package). I was lucky to pick up an NOS case for one of my watches and I've just had the gubbins transposed - it really makes a huge difference.

Make sure you take a photograph of the insides whilst your doing it. Do a search on the Omega vintage database with all of the information you've got as you can use this to fine tune your Ebay searches.
    http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-watches-database
    Be sure to click on the Show more filters + sign.

Good luck and I hope you get it sorted.

Appreciate the help, folks.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

A jeweler maker or goldsmith would be able to fix the lug easily I assume.

Keeping original part is always prefwrable in my mind.

• Advertisement

The damaged lug is the one on the top right of the case as you are looking at the photo. A piece is broken out meaning the spring bar pops out easily.Repair of this area would be difficult, I'd imagine.If the watch was mine I'd re-case it and put it on a nice leather strap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭893bet

Nforce wrote: »
    The damaged lug is the one on the top right of the case as you are looking at the photo. A piece is broken out meaning the spring bar pops out easily.Repair of this area would be difficult, I'd imagine.If the watch was mine I'd re-case it and put it on a nice leather strap.

Ah yes. Any jeweller worth their salt would find that an easy fix.

My issue with buying a new case is firstly you have to buy the case and then have it fitted (assuming you are not handy at that kind of thing). Then your watch looks mismatched if the case is NOS and in perfect condition but the the hands and dial have signs of age and wear.

Advertisement