Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plants or weeds

• 22-04-2015 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Its the season for plant identification.... in our new garden there's lots of things coming up that I don't know what they are.

Any ideas on whether the below are plants or weeds? My gf and I are having a few disagreements (about this!).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

#1 is Forget-me-not I think but not 100% sure
    #2 is bindweed -- the name says it all
    #3 is some sort of euphorbia I think
    #4 is also bindweed I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Number 2 is bindweed, so is number 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

They're all weeds I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Weed, Weed, Weed, Weed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

As lottpaul says:

First looks like native or cultivated forgetmenot, you might need to wait until it flowers.
    Third is perhaps a Euphorbia of some sort with a baby Aquelegia beside it!

The other ones are the problem. Bindwind is a big problem. Treat with a glyphosate weedkiller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yup, all weeds, and correctly identified already!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that euphorbia looks like one of the more cultivated varieties, may be worth seeing how it turns out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭The Dark Side

Botanically speaking there's no such thing as a weed.

What we call 'weeds' are actually plants that are growing where we don't want them to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭tmq

thanks everyone! yes 3 has delicate enough foliage, which made me think it might be a plant. think I'll pull them all out, then I'll know what I'm dealing with when I plant other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭lottpaul

tmq wrote: »
    3 has delicate enough foliage, which made me think it might be a plant. think I'll pull them all out.

I'd try to kill the bindweed instead of pulling it out -- even the smallest part of it left in the soil will resprout :(

If pulling euphorbia don't forget that the milky sap can cause skin irritation, so best to wear gloves.

lk67 is right about the aquilegas in pic 3 --( they have leaves like big shamrocks ) They're lovely flowers and add a bit of colour and height to the flower bed.

Best of luck either way :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Dealing with bindweed my self . Use a stick or bamboo to let the bindweed grow up when its about 2/3 feet high hit it with weed killer I'm painting it on with A brush to make sure I don't kill any of my other plants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Dealing with bindweed my self . Use a stick or bamboo to let the bindweed grow up when its about 2/3 feet high hit it with weed killer I'm painting it on with A brush to make sure I don't kill any of my other plants.

I generally do something like that, then stick it in a bag and spray into that. I never have the patience to paint the weedkiller on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

All plants, they're only weeds if you say so, and only you can decide.

I'll leave the aquilegas, and have a look out for some others... hadn't really noticed it.

The bindweed sounds like trouble! Its come up where I hope to put some summer bedding, so will definitely get onto it.

I'll leave the aquilegas, and have a look out for some others... hadn't really noticed it.

The bindweed sounds like trouble! Its come up where I hope to put some summer bedding, so will definitely get onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,658 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I love aquilegia, but sadly it seeds like mad and has a root that goes to the centre of the earth. They get firmly established between paving stones and other places where you don't want them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would spraying the leaves of bindweed kill the b^gger?

It is the most horrible of weeds. Wrapping itself around a lovely lavendar in the front. I flippin hate that thing.

Think is, the lavendar is Biiig, and the bindweed creeps up between the lavendar. I am so mad at this beast of a weed.

Sorry, rant over for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,980 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

looksee wrote: »
    I love aquilegia, but sadly it seeds like mad and has a root that goes to the centre of the earth. They get firmly established between paving stones and other places where you don't want them.

I have a lovely aquilegia in the back. But it has never spread or seeded. Down about 5 years now. I wonder why? Is it the breed of the plant or something?

This is similar.

http://www.canstockphoto.com/images-photos/aquilegia.html#file_view.php?id=5529512

Advertisement