Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Congestion

Options
  • 22-04-2015 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

I have messaged a rep on here to sort out my contention issues, but have had no response in nearly a week. 

Every night during peak hours my 17 meg connection drops to at most 5 meg.  At weekends it is nearly unusable. Friday and Sturday evening sometime below 1 meg.

I am paying for 'UNCONGESTED' broadband, but it is so obviously not uncongested. The contention is blatantly obvious.

I need someone to sort this out for me, and put another rack in the exchange to handle capacity.

It is a disgrace to be charged €53/month for this service and insulting to be lied to about the product.

Can one of the Eircom reps here (Alan, Tony, Aisling, etc) sort this out for me as I really don't want to ring your premium lines at huge further cost in order to get a rep who has no clue. 

Thanks in advance,
    Padraigh

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

griffzinho wrote: »
    I have messaged a rep on here to sort out my contention issues, but have had no response in nearly a week. 

Every night during peak hours my 17 meg connection drops to at most 5 meg.  At weekends it is nearly unusable. Friday and Sturday evening sometime below 1 meg.

I am paying for 'UNCONGESTED' broadband, but it is so obviously not uncongested. The contention is blatantly obvious.

I need someone to sort this out for me, and put another rack in the exchange to handle capacity.

It is a disgrace to be charged €53/month for this service and insulting to be lied to about the product.

Can one of the Eircom reps here (Alan, Tony, Aisling, etc) sort this out for me as I really don't want to ring your premium lines at huge further cost in order to get a rep who has no clue. 

Thanks in advance,
    Padraigh
    Apologies for the delays in responding griffzinho

Please PM me your eircom account number and I will look in to this matter further

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭griffzinho

Another five days (and weekend of dire speeds) has passed and still no repsonse Alan?????

Another five days (and weekend of dire speeds) has passed and still no repsonse Alan?????
    Apologies for the delays griffzinho

As I have found no possible contributing reason for the slow speeds at peak times I have escalated this to our techncial support department. I am awaiting a response however I will push for an update today and get back to you as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Al

Another two days with slow evening speeds. Plus another two days with no contact from Eircom as to why??

It is now 12 days since i messaged you Alan. 'TWELVE' days with zero improvement or solid response.

Another day passes????????????

Wake up Alan, you have taken my query on board on have not sorted it two weeks later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭eircom: Tony

Another day passes????????????

Wake up Alan, you have taken my query on board on have not sorted it two weeks later.
    griffzinho
    yes it is true that we have not been able to add any further information to last post. At this stage we have not identified any issue particular to your line or local exchange. Alan has passed this on to our networks division and we are awaiting any further update.
    Tony

Tony,

It is two weeks since I made my complaint known. That is plenty of time in modern business to identify a problem and rectify it. No deliberation beyond a day or two is acceptable from a customer service point of view. So the delay is inexcusable. 

Yet again this evening I'm at 2-3 Meg from daytime peak of 17MB. It is so blatantly obvious it is a contention issue. You guys need to sort this out immediately. I am a paying customer. €53 a month for so called high speed broadband. I want to use it in the evening predominantly (just like everyone else). My evening speeds are dire and are near 2005 levels.

The obvious answer is to put another piece of equipment in my local exchange to handle capacity. 

It is a complete joke that you guys can't sort this out.

You are 'customer service' representatives so let's get the customer service right please. 

Without delay I also hasten to add.

Tony,

It is two weeks since I made my complaint known. That is plenty of time in modern business to identify a problem and rectify it. No deliberation beyond a day or two is acceptable from a customer service point of view. So the delay is inexcusable. 

Yet again this evening I'm at 2-3 Meg from daytime peak of 17MB. It is so blatantly obvious it is a contention issue. You guys need to sort this out immediately. I am a paying customer. €53 a month for so called high speed broadband. I want to use it in the evening predominantly (just like everyone else). My evening speeds are dire and are near 2005 levels.

The obvious answer is to put another piece of equipment in my local exchange to handle capacity. 

It is a complete joke that you guys can't sort this out.

You are 'customer service' representatives so let's get the customer service right please. 

Without delay I also hasten to add.
    Hi griffzinho

Sincere apologies for the delays with this. Our technical support department have got back to me advising that after making a number of inquiries there are no known congestion issues in Clonakilty CKY07 exchange

I have been advised to ask you to contact technical support (free phone 1901) in the evening when you are experiencing slow speeds so that they can run live tests & investigate further.

I have noted the history of this correspondence to your account for technical support to see when you call
    Thanks
    Al

OK.

Spoke to guy in exchange who changed my line "to a less busy place". He confirmed it is 100% a congestion issue so basically Eircom is lying through it's ass to everyone about 'uncongested' broadband. He laughed about my congestion concerns and said sure "that's the problem everyone has isn't it"  

I was moved to a less busy place and midweek congestion was not too bad. Most nights stable speed, but peak times on Sat and Sunday are still bottlenecking. 3 mbps tonight as opposed to line capacity of 14.5Mbps 

I am not going away about this. It is a disgrace how a company can falsely advertise and it is 100% against the law. €53/month for a product that does not perform as advertised and is meant to be uncongested.

I also must say that the customer service on here is non existent. EVERYONE in Eircom knows about the congestion issues. It is a problem in many places. 

It is blatantly obvious and the customer service reps here are fully aware that this is the issue and are involved in the deceit. 

You guys will just continue to ignore the complaints or continue to deceive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

From what I have read on boards and personal experience it seem this is very common. Technical support will say it can't be congestion as Eircom sell uncontested broadband. If you keep calling technical support eventually you will get the privilege of a call from an engineer who will admit immediately that the problem is congestion. And then that's it, the matter is considered closed as far a Eircom is concerned. 

Eircom is willing to keep adding more customers to an exchange but not upgrade capacity at that exchange. The problem is mostly in areas where customers don't have the option of switching to UPC and are stuck with Eircom or an Eircom resold product.

I think I will switch to Vodafone, I'm not sure if it will make any difference since they are just resellers of Eircom dsl. It's worth a try though since I am currently getting a service that is unusable at the time of day I want to be online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm not at all surprised they are a shockingly terrible company to deal with.

They seem to be delighted to get you signed up and as soon as the money starts rolling in they want nothing else to do with you.

I would suggest to avoid Eircon if at all possible.

tuxy wrote: »
    From what I have read on boards and personal experience it seem this is very common. Technical support will say it can't be congestion as Eircom sell uncontested broadband. If you keep calling technical support eventually you will get the privilege of a call from an engineer who will admit immediately that the problem is congestion. And then that's it, the matter is considered closed as far a Eircom is concerned. 

Eircom is willing to keep adding more customers to an exchange but not upgrade capacity at that exchange. The problem is mostly in areas where customers don't have the option of switching to UPC and are stuck with Eircom or an Eircom resold product.

I think I will switch to Vodafone, I'm not sure if it will make any difference since they are just resellers of Eircom dsl. It's worth a try though since I am currently getting a service that is unusable at the time of day I want to be online.
    I'd be careful about switching Tuxy. The engineer indicated to me that I was plugged into a place reserved for non eircom customers. He called me back to tell me I was moved to a 'less busy spot'. He implied it was a favour. He freely admitted it was congestion. Eircom are blatantly false advertising their 'uncongested' product.

Next stop is the NCA, but I'm sure they will be of very little use.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eircom have multiple classes of exchange. Far from all are uncontended and all the radio ones must be congested at this point. 

OP it sounds like you were moved between racks. That's a temporary fix, a few more heavy users get allocated to that rack and you'll be back to square one. Is eFibre being launched at that exchange any time soon? That'll leave the in situe racks very idle. 

ED E wrote: »

Eircom have multiple classes of exchange. Far from all are uncontended and all the radio ones must be congested at this point. 

OP it sounds like you were moved between racks. That's a temporary fix, a few more heavy users get allocated to that rack and you'll be back to square one. Is eFibre being launched at that exchange any time soon? That'll leave the in situe racks very idle. 
    My exchange is due an upgrade to eFibre I'm too far to avail of it(about 2km) but do you think this could help my situation?

griffzinho I am worried about changing provider as I would then have two companies involved with Eircom as the middle man. I could end up with a 12 or 18 month contract with no change to my problem. I just don't know what to do. 

I actually received a call back from Eircom earlier today to say there was no congestion on my line. So they have changed their story again. Last weekend was one of the worst but here I am now at 14:30 on a Monday and it's perfect but I just know it will go to **** once it hits 8pm.

ED E wrote: »

My exchange is due an upgrade to eFibre I'm too far to avail of it(about 2km) but do you think this could help my situation?

griffzinho I am worried about changing provider as I would then have two companies involved with Eircom as the middle man. I could end up with a 12 or 18 month contract with no change to my problem. I just don't know what to do. 

I actually received a call back from Eircom earlier today to say there was no congestion on my line. So they have changed their story again. Last weekend was one of the worst but here I am now at 14:30 on a Monday and it's perfect but I just know it will go to **** once it hits 8pm.
    I'm down at 30% speed again tonight. Looks like my local engineer plugged me out temporarily and put me into a new rack and then moved me back after a few days. I'm so angry at being mistreated. 

Where is your response now Alan & Tony???? Hiding away from the blatant truth.

Tonight for me is even worse than normal. 

Hello Tony & Alan?

Any solution?

It would be nice to get an official response on this matter. Even if they acknowledge that their network is heavily congested and they have no plans to solve this problem. It would be  better than the denial we get from technical support. 
    It's unfair to have customers constantly contacting support as they have been told it's not congestion and the problem will definitely be rectified.

I guess all we can for now is keep these threads updated so they stay on the front page. :(

Hello Tony & Alan?

Any solution?
    Hi griffzinho

I had previously advised that our technical support department advised that after making a number of inquiries there are no known congestion issues in Clonakilty CKY07 exchange

I understand your experience is disappointing for you and is naturally causing a lot of frustration however I have been advised to ask you to contact technical support for assistance with this as ultimately technical support will be able to offer more support.

I have again noted the history of our correspondence for technical support to see when you call

Thanks
    Al

Hello Tony & Alan?

Any solution?
    Hi griffzinho

I had previously advised that our technical support department advised that after making a number of inquiries there are no known congestion issues in Clonakilty CKY07 exchange

I understand your experience is disappointing for you and is naturally causing a lot of frustration however I have been advised to ask you to contact technical support for assistance with this as ultimately technical support will be able to offer more support.
    Alan the problem is that technical support will not acknowledge congestion. This makes dealing with them to try and solve this issue futile. 

• Advertisement

Hello Tony & Alan?

Any solution?
    Hi griffzinho

I have again noted the history of our correspondence for technical support to see when you call

Thanks
    Al
    Alan. 

There is a problem with congestion in Clonakilty exchange. It has been 100% confirmed by engineers working in that exchange. 100% confirmed by those who are most familiar. I had an engineer in my house yesterday and I know the issues. 

You continue to lie about the issue. It is a well known fact that Eircom congestion is rife across the country, not just my exchange.

How you can continue to lie about it beggars belief.

This issue needs to be elevated beyond technical support to Eircom senior management.

Misleading advertising is a breach of the consumer protection act. 

I would advise anyone experiencing congestion to contact the National Consumer Agency and make a complaint and also to contact COMREG in order to make a complaint there as well. 

Customer service is not the answer.

Advertisement