Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the easiest route up to Fox's/Glencullen?

• 22-04-2015 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm a relatively new road cyclist and love the thrill of cycling in the mountains but find the climbs tough enough....

Is there any particular route up to Glencullen a bit easier than the others?
    The routes I know are:
    Burrow Road - Ballyedmonduff Road
    Past the Blue Light - Ballyedmonduff Road
    Step aside Lane - Ballyedmonduff road
    The route beside the Blue Church in Kiltiernan
    Up Stocking Lane and across.
    Up Cruagh road and across
    Via Enniskerry and Devil's Elbow

....plus any others you may care to suggest!!
    Cheers!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

The one where you turn right at the Topaz station in Kiltiernan IMO (sorry don't know name of road).

Cruagh/Stocking Lane wouldn't make sense if you wish to minimise climbing as you are climbing higher to descend again to Glencullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

Thanks. Its more that Glencullen road area, from the top of Cruagh to fox's.... Thus I included Cruagh and Stocking but point taken.

I'm curious which is considered the hardest climb up as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,013 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Garthvader wrote: »
    ...I'm curious which is considered the hardest climb up as well!
    Depends on what you mean by 'hardest'. Gradient or length. 1km at 10% may be considered easier than 5km at 4%. The Devil's Elbow side would probably be the steepest (but it's relatively short).

Think about it from a beginner's viewpoint. I could barely walk up the Devils Elbow whereas I could handle a more protracted climb, however slow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 112 ✭✭VR46

Plenty of climbing just to get to the Devil's Elbow though. I always go up Burrow road if I want to take it 'easy'. All the other roads have steeper sections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭stas

Up Burrow Road is the easiest I reckon. Topaz Station is harder as it's steeper.

Other approaches are hard to judge since you will have to do a lot of other climbing before you get to climb to Fox's

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

stas wrote: »
    Up Burrow Road is the easiest I reckon. Topaz Station is harder as it's steeper.

Other approaches are hard to judge since you will have to do a lot of other climbing before you get to climb to Fox's

I would have had that the other way around, Burrow road also has you climbing to descend a bit. Hardest for me is the devils elbow, largely down to me carrying a few pounds and the gradient. Stepaside lane is also plenty steep in spots.

Cycled most of them up.

I think coming from Stepaside taking the right at Kiltiernan (Topaz) is the easiest route. There are steep ramps on the Burrow road and stepaside lane routes.

The Devil's elbow road is evil :)

Thanks for the info guys... anyone else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭g0g

Burrow Road would have my vote too for "easiest". Devil's Elbow on the tough side, esp because you also have to factor in that nasty hill out of Enniskerry! For an enjoyable descent afterwards I'd normally head towards Blue Light, although a bit along there is quite steep downhill with blind turns and the risk of the 44B trundling up the hill towards you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭The Cycling pianist

I'd say going up by the blue church (Topaz outside stepaside) is fairly easy. I went up it first time no problem. The road just before Lamb Doyle's (woodside road) that joins ballydemonduff road is very hard

Yeah, did that Blue Light climb the other evening... was going so slow the bike neary toppled over. for about 150m its about 19% !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Yeah, did that Blue Light climb the other evening... was going so slow the bike neary toppled over. for about 150m its about 19% !

The section where you see it's not over at all after the road swings to the right? Not a welcome sight the first time you see it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

Blue Church / Topaz is the easiest in my opinion. Steady gradient and no sneaky bits. The other approaches, except for the Devil's Elbow, require you to climb higher and descend.

For hardest, I'd say the Devil's Elbow or via that nasty hill out of Stepaside that joins with Burrow Road. Both with (short) sections >15% gradient.

That's Stepaside Lane. Nasty is right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Paralysis by analysis :-P

Just go up there, its not *that* hard either way. Satisfaction guaranteed.

You're not wrong Alek... I've done a few of them already, just curious what the consensus is...its what's a forum is for! discussion with like minded individuals.. :)

😄
    Alek wrote: »
    Paralysis by analysis :-P

Just go up there, its not *that* hard either way. Satisfaction guaranteed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Alright! My 2 cents : Kilternan side :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I had planned to go up from the Kilternan side tomorrow morning anyway but after reading this on the way back I might take in the devils elbow way up

Final bump...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I went up the left turn from Cruagh last week even for WibblingtonScone it wasn't hard.

Didn't love the spontaneous hailstoning in my summer kit though

I assume you mean the bit post-Cruagh wasnt hard....!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

There is no easy way up to Johnny Fox's-they're all hard.

Doh! Was going to try a new route today... But just pulled a muscle in my back... 😬

Subliminal avoidance complex!ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭L'Enfer du Nord

If I had to pick one as the easiest it would be the Blue Light, simply because the worst is over fairly quickly.

smacl wrote: »
    I would have had that the other way around, Burrow road also has you climbing to descend a bit. Hardest for me is the devils elbow, largely down to me carrying a few pounds and the gradient. Stepaside lane is also plenty steep in spots.

I prefer Burrow I suppose cause it's easier to retain certain pace without losing (much of) your breath. I suppose I need a bit more practice for Kilternan climb.

Went up Stepaside Lane once or twice, I was sure I tasted blood in my mouth at the end. Fond memories!

Blood in your mouth!? Is that an altitude thing....!!

Blood in your mouth!? Is that an altitude thing....!!

Of course not, there isn't any meaningful altitude change there. It wasn't actual blood, I'm certain, but more like a taste. From overexertion I should think. I'm a casual rider, not more than a 1000km a year lately, so it's probably from a lack of training/stamina :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Koobcam wrote: »
    There is no easy way up to Johnny Fox's-they're all hard.

Take a couple of trips up Kilmashogue lane, and all the routes up to Johnny Fox's start to seem easy. I'm usually spitting out bits of lung getting my fat ass to the top of that one, but it is well worth it just to make other climbs seem easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

smacl wrote: »
    Take a couple of trips up Kilmashogue lane, and all the routes up to Johnny Fox's start to seem easy. I'm usually spitting out bits of lung getting my fat ass to the top of that one, but it is well worth it just to make other climbs seem easier.

Agree, Kilmashogue is a nasty one, I've yet to find a climb in Ireland that I detest more

Advertisement