Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a streambook

Options
  • 23-04-2015 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how is a steam book different to a laptop or better still can anyone recommend a laptop for a student who's laptop has gone wallop with a budget of about €250/300 thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i Think you mean a steam box,
    a pc that runs the steam os, operating system ,
    steam is the online digital pc gaming store ,where you buy games,
    like an itunes store for pc games .
    You can get a good laptop on adverts,ie for 200-250 euro.
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/computers/laptops-and-netbooks/127/county-Dublin/price_100-250/

if a laptop has windows 8,its probably at most 2 years old.
    OR just buy a new laptop for 350 euro.

IF you buy a laptop on adverts.ie test it,
    play music, play a video, put in a cd, put in a usb drive.
    make sure sound is clear and loud enough for you .
    plug in earphones ,make sure earphones work.
    A laptop on advert.ie may only have 1-2 hours battery life .
    i would ,nt buy a new laptop for less than 250 as it would have very low specs.

You can sell a broken laptop on adverts.ie for parts,
    make sure all personal data is erased ,or
    simply remove the hard drive before you sell it.

This is a good laptop , http://powercity.ie/?par=10-30-LEN320

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I thought maybe they were asking about Chromebooks

The OP is referring to this, I think -
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-news-rumors/304791-microsofts-streambooks-i-e-new-low-end-pcs.html

From what I can tell, they're ultra low-tech (for use of a better word) laptops, that would be closer to Chromebooks or those eePCs (I believe they were called?)

OP, from what I can tell, they're very basic laptops that would be good for general internet usage and word processing. I didn't read the specs, but I'd imagine they wouldn't be any good for gaming, probably barely able to run Minecraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭uisce33

Thanks very much for the reply and help.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When you said streambooks I immediately thought Chrome.

A streambook would then by definition be a laptop that functions almost solely as a terminal: it connects to servers (eg. "The Cloud") to do most computing. This is how computers originally worked, with enterprises using central servers, and users had terminals to access it. When PC/Laptop hardware became economical this became less intensive to where servers generally handle just data storage and licenses, not the raw computing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement