Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eastlink cycles dismount sign - status??

• 23-04-2015 8:48am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭

A guard on a pedal cycle stopped a cyclist for cycling across the Eastlink this morning. The cyclist had just crossed south to north and the guard was behind him on the road. I was on the road behind the guard.

The guard had come from the path coming from the flats direction in Ringsend.

At the roundabout at the Point as I passed I could hear him telling the cyclist he should have walked across. I didn't hear the rest of the conversation or the conclusion.

I know it was discussed on here before about the status of the signs and the status of the road but I cant remember what the legalities are. I don't have a picture of the "cyclists dismount" sign but anyone who crosses the bridge will be familiar with it.

does anyone know the legal situation re cycling across the bridge??

Edit: I have emailed both the NRA and Dublin City council.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

Interesting to know more about this. I was running it last week and was forced to stop when a guy on a Dublin bike cycling towards me on the path wouldn't give way. There was already a pedestrian walking towards me on the inside line and this guy was taking the outside leaving no room to pass on an already narrow path.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,272 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Interesting to know more about this. I was running it last week and was forced to stop when a guy on a Dublin bike cycling towards me on the path wouldn't give way. There was already a pedestrian walking towards me on the inside line and this guy was taking the outside leaving no room to pass on an already narrow path.

Unless the "path" is marked as a Bicycle lane, its illegal to cycle on the path.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭strummer_ie

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    The cyclist had just crossed south to north and the guard was behind him on the road. I was on the road behind the guard.

OP did state they were on the road !

I was also stopped at the toll bridge side by said Garda and he asked me to read the sign, but he pointed out it was an advisory notice.

Quick edit: Also _not_ on the footpath ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

OP did state they were on the road !

I was also stopped at the toll bridge side by said Garda and he asked me to read the sign, but he pointed out it was an advisory notice.

Quick edit: Also _not_ on the footpath ;)

I think the advice is probably more directed at the slow moving Dublin bike type and those who are likely looking to go up the inside of large trucks.

Considering it is a very short stretch of road, I can't see how a road bike is going to upset the progress of vehicles over the bridge.

Coming from North to South there isn't really an easy way to access the path without stopping dead off the roundabout. Also, I think the sign is partially obscured until you pass by it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I always have a subtext of "Oh no they don't!" in my head when I see one of those signs.

I came across one put up by those nice water meter installers at the beginning of their works. What was I supposed to do? Walk in front of the cars?...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Wow, I spent years cycling across that bridge and I never noticed those signs. I am going to turn myself into the authorities post haste! In mitigation, the sign on the south side of the bridge is on the wrong side of the road, which isn't exactly efficient.

It's a bit on the skinny side in the lanes if someone is trying to pass, but you just take the lane and there is no problem.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,434 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

check_six wrote: »
    In mitigation, the sign on the south side of the bridge is on the wrong side of the road, which isn't exactly efficient.
    question - with the exception of signs which sit on both side of the road, are signs on the 'wrong' side of the road enforceable?
    would it be unreasonable to argue that a sign on the far side of the road - with nothing on the near side - can be assumed to have been facing the other was and has been turned around, and doesn't apply to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

so you are not allowed to cycle on the east link bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭franer1970

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    Considering it is a very short stretch of road, I can't see how a road bike is going to upset the progress of vehicles over the bridge.

Signs are more to do with authorities abrogating all responsibility for providing a roadway wide enough for cycles and motor vehicles at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,800 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

franer1970 wrote: »
    Signs are more to do with authorities abrogating all responsibility for providing a roadway wide enough for cycles and motor vehicles at the same time.

But if the road way is wide enough for a motor vehicle, then it is wide enough for a bike.

There is no responsibility to allow both to go by at the same time, if the lane isn't wide enough to pass safely then one of them has to wait.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

So to clarify:
    The sign is not a prohibition one, it is suggesting that it may not be a good idea to proceed whilst riding your bike.
    The Gard had no authority to stop the cyclist.

Am I correct??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I have cycled that bridge for 4+ years and I have only had an issue when there's not traffic. Cars flying accross the bridge at silly speeds. The roundabout is also a curse, inpatient drivers trying to overtake you on it, getting angry "Bloody cyclists".

From my experience, there's a serious amount of idiots that pass the inside of trucks on that bridge, this morning one guy took it upon himself to overtake (on the inside) a truck which was on the roundabout, cyclist cuts across the front of the truck with inches to spare, the truck didn't see this stupid eejit and almost ran him over. Same guy ran into me another day, completely wreckless, soon to be another statistic if he continues his stupidity.

I will continue to cycle safely across the bridge, keeping a good speed, road position and staying away from trucks etc.

the signs only serve to give drivers the "right" to engage in dangerous driving when they see cyclists on the bridge. "You are not supposed to be cycling so I am going to teach you a lesson".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

From 2010: http://www.herald.ie/news/outcry-at-cyclists-for-riding-eastlink-27968236.html
    The difficulties were discussed at Dublin City Council in 2007 but the issue was placed on the agenda of the council's Cycle Forum again last week.

Labour's Andrew Montague, who chairs the forum, told the Herald the issue was raised again to see if there is anyway of resolving the difficulties.

"There is no provision in traffic law to say that cyclists have to dismount. These signs are still there," he added.

I propose we all meet back here in 2020 and see if they are still there.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭roverrules

As the bridge was built by National Toll Roads and wasn't/isn't classed as part of the national roads network, is there the possibility that there are local bye laws that apply to the bridge?

Situation may well change as DCC take over it officially next year

The East Link toll Bridge is located on a section of non-national road. Dublin City Council is the contracting party for the East Link Toll Bridge.

East Link Toll Bridge
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/East-Link_%28Dublin%29
    http://www.nra.ie/tolling-information/toll-charges/

Advertisement