Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tourist Office?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭

I was just trying to find the address of the tourist office for someone, but all I was getting was that it was in the Granary. It has not been there for, what, 12 months?

Surely if someone is visiting Waterford they would put 'Waterford Tourist Office' or similar into google,but the responses are very misleading.

IF you happen to know that the Irish Tourism page is called Discover Ireland, and if you go to that page and scroll down you will eventually find a listing of tourist offices, and right enough, the correct address is there. However I spent 10 minutes following various useless leads that kept taking me to the Granary. If I had not known it has moved I would have ended up walking the length of the quays in the wrong direction.

Someone will ask, have you told them about it? Well, I would assume that someone in the tourist office would have the cop-on to google themselves and see how difficult they are to find. My experience of contacting anyone in the council offices or tourism field in Waterford has not been encouraging, but I have contacted them through the 'Discover Ireland' site. I will not hold my breath.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

Quick question, no ill-will intended, but given that you do know where they are located, are you doing all this just to make a point? Is rather silly that a tourist office hasn't updated its info all over the internet though...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

No tourist will know where Waterford is located once this Wild Atlantic Way gets popular.

Given the way they totally wasted the Waterford 1100 opportunity, you'll probably be right...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

fiachr_a wrote: »
    No tourist will know where Waterford is located once this Wild Atlantic Way gets popular.

i hear they're even thinking of taking it off maps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

fiachr_a wrote: »

I really never can figure whether you're a troll or thick, but you're not uneducated so I favour troll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,433 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Quick question, no ill-will intended, but given that you do know where they are located, are you doing all this just to make a point? Is rather silly that a tourist office hasn't updated its info all over the internet though...

Of course I am doing it to make a point! The point that the locals, who don't particularly need it, know where the tourist office is and the tourists don't. It was only because I knew that the information was wrong that I persisted in trying to find correct information. Would it be better to wait till we get disgruntled tourists complaining that the tourist office is not in the Granary?

I got an acknowledgement from Discover Ireland btw, have to wait and see if they do anything.

looksee wrote: »
    Of course I am doing it to make a point! The point that the locals, who don't particularly need it, know where the tourist office is and the tourists don't. It was only because I knew that the information was wrong that I persisted in trying to find correct information. Would it be better to wait till we get disgruntled tourists complaining that the tourist office is not in the Granary?

I got an acknowledgement from Discover Ireland btw, have to wait and see if they do anything.

id have to agree with you. i went looking for it last year not realising it had moved but since im local i found it easily enough. a tourist would be wondering around the city lost trying to find it. i think somebody really slipped up there. best of luck with your quest

looksee wrote: »

What did Discover Ireland say exactly in their acknowledgement? Good on you for taking the time to do all this. If only the actual people responsible for promoting tourism to Waterford had more up and go like you...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I didn't realise the tourist office had moved from the Granary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

deisemum wrote: »
    I didn't realise the tourist office had moved from the Granary.

Moved down by Reginalds Tower a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,345 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Have a tourism higher cert from wit and a tourist office job would be perfect for me but unfortunly there's never any job openings and this jobs bridge scheme has ****ed up this industry.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Have a tourism higher cert from wit and a tourist office job would be perfect for me but unfortunly there's never any job openings and this jobs bridge scheme has ****ed up this industry.

They don't want that anymore, most tourist guides in Dublin aren't even Irish now.

PTH2009 wrote: »

i think you ll find it has f ed up most industries. shameful policy

Advertisement