Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeds in grass selectively sprayed, when to cut grass?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭

Sprayed round up on weeds in grass 24 hours ago, how long before I can cut the grass (and the leaves of the weed as a result) before reducing effectiveness of the glyphosphate?

Could I cut today, has the round up worked to root in this time?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

It'll be more effective the longer you leave it. I applied the gel to plants on Monday. I'll have to go at it today or tomorrow before it rains or it'll be too long to cut with a mower...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Yeh was thinking the same myself, should have sprayed earlier in week. Forecast not conducive to grass cutting from tomorrow on for the next week anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

OK..
    Roundup is not a selective weedkiller..
    Roundup kills all plants with green foliage, including grass.

So how have you selectively treated weeds with it and not killed the grass ?

When I've done that in the past, I've made a hole in some newspaper and sprayed away. Especially with marestail... Or else, by being very careful.

_Brian wrote: »
    OK..
    Roundup is not a selective weedkiller..
    Roundup kills all plants with green foliage, including grass.

So how have you selectively treated weeds with it and not killed the grass ?

Where did I say round up is a selective weedkiller?

I selectively sprayed the weeds in my grass.

Do you know when I can cut the leaf off the weed, i.e. cut my grass??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭arthur daly

tampopo wrote: »
    When I've done that in the past, I've made a hole in some newspaper and sprayed away. Especially with marestail... Or else, by being very careful.

I cut the top off a fairy bottle and slide it over th lance head,works a charm.
    Might savea bit of time

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭lk67

Roundup and other glyphosate weedkillers are absorbed quickly in to the whole plant systemically via the leaves. You can cut pretty quickly but most people wsit a day or so.

It is pretty strange to use Roundup on a lawn though, as a selective weedkiller kills without leaving little circles of dead weeds and grass. It's also easier to apply.

Anyhow cut away over next day or so.

I'm a careful sprayer and the weeds were in full leaf, the grass will grow back quickly too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

vicwatson wrote: »
    Where did I say round up is a selective weedkiller?

I selectively sprayed the weeds in my grass.

Do you know when I can cut the leaf off the weed, i.e. cut my grass??
    Fair point..
    I sprayed weeds and see them changing 48 hours later so that is definitely enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

It takes a few weeks for the weeds to die off. I doubt that the roundup would have gone into the roots in 24 hours.
    This is going to be funny. The lawn will be full of big round bald holes the size of dinner plates for the whole summer. You can't contain roundup onto just one plant, the rain will splash it around.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I'm being more constructive now. This is a great gadget for next time. Most DIY stores stock them. 15 minute patrol with it every now and a again and your lawn will be lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

recedite wrote: »
    This is a great gadget for next time.

Is this something you use a lot? For Dandelions does it grab the whole root or leave chunks of root in place? Reason I ask is because I have literally* hundreds of these in my garden along with quite a few other weeds. It would be good to have something like this rather than weedkiller if possible.

*I do mean literally.

I'd use a fork. I've dug out hundreds and hundreds too. Now it's down to three or four at a time. It does take time, but if you persevere, it'd be worth it.

By doing it so much, I've developed an efficient technique.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Is this something you use a lot? For Dandelions does it grab the whole root or leave chunks of root in place?
    Yes it takes out all the root most of the time, and 90% of it the rest of the time. The trick is to find the centre of the dandelion before plunging the tool, which you can do by lifting the flower gently and following the stem to its base. It takes out a core including some soil, which you can eject into a bucket using the tool, then empty the bucket later into a compost heap. I leave the worms to fill in the the holes, and just move on quickly to the next weed. Its also good on plantains thistles etc.. and unlike weedkiller it works even better in rainy weather because the soil is soft.
    Its a lot quicker than a fork, only a few seconds per weed, and even if you miss a bit of root this time, you'll get it next time when it regrows.

If the ground is really covered in dandelions though, you'd be better off applying a verdone or similar type selective weedkiller as a once-off, and then maintain the lawn afterwards without using the chemicals.

Advertisement