Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Squad v Deadwood

Options
  • 23-04-2015 9:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭

Off the back of the conversation in the Newcastle match thread, I thought I would take a look at our squad and see what 'deadwood' is sitting there - I nearly forgot Capoue existed.

Poch wants a squad of about 25, assuming he also wants maybe 3 or 4 youth players in key positions for league cup games and their general development.

With a current squad of 29 players (taken from the BBC website) and 7 more loan/youth players to return.

Who would you get rid of? Bearing in mind we'll probably bring in one or two too.

Can we afford to get rid of Soldado and Adebayor? We'd need to be sure someone else is coming in. Who'd replace them?

Goalkeepers
    1 Lloris
    13 Vorm
    24 Friedel
    48 McGee

Defenders
    2 Walker
    3 Rose
    4 Kaboul
    5 Vertonghen
    6 Chiriches
    12 Yedlin
    15 Dier
    21 Fazio
    33 Davies

Midfielders
    8 Paulinho
    11 Lamela
    17 Townsend
    19 Dembélé
    22 Chadli
    23 Eriksen
    25 Stambouli
    29 Capoue
    38 Mason
    39 Ceballos
    42 Bentaleb
    44 Winks
    47 Onomah

Forwards
    9 Soldado
    10 Adebayor
    18 Kane

Out on Loan/Youth
    Carroll
    Pritchard
    Alli
    McEvoy
    Veljkovic
    Coulthirst
    Fredericks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

I'd get rid of;

GK - Friedel (I think he's on his way out anyway, we may need someone to replace Lloris though)

DEF - Chiriches and Kaboul

MID - Paulinho, Stambouli, Capoue and Ceballos (should have broken through by now)

FW - Adebayor (it appears Soldado wants to be here more)

If we could get rid of those 7 players (not including Friedel) at a knock down price average of £4m, we'd have £28m in the kitty. Ideally Poch would be given that cash to buy two or three new players.

DL gets his good net spend figures, Poch gets his slimmed down but better squad and we get a couple of new decent faces about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Off the back of the conversation in the Newcastle match thread, I thought I would take a look at our squad and see what 'deadwood' is sitting there - I nearly forgot Capoue existed.

Poch wants a squad of about 25, assuming he also wants maybe 3 or 4 youth players in key positions for league cup games and their general development.

With a current squad of 29 players (taken from the BBC website) and 7 more loan/youth players to return.

Who would you get rid of? Bearing in mind we'll probably bring in one or two too.

Can we afford to get rid of Soldado and Adebayor? We'd need to be sure someone else is coming in. Who'd replace them?

Goalkeepers
    1 Lloris
    13 Vorm
    24 Friedel
    48 McGee

Defenders
    2 Walker
    3 Rose
    4 Kaboul
    5 Vertonghen - Back up
    6 Chiriches
    12 Yedlin
    15 Dier
    21 Fazio - Back up
    33 Davies

Midfielders
    8 Paulinho
    11 Lamela - One more season
    17 Townsend
    19 Dembélé
    22 Chadli
    23 Eriksen
    25 Stambouli
    29 Capoue
    38 Mason
    39 Ceballos
    42 Bentaleb
    44 Winks
    47 Onomah

Forwards
    9 Soldado
    10 Adebayor
    18 Kane

Out on Loan/Youth
    Carroll
    Pritchard
    Alli
    McEvoy
    Veljkovic
    Coulthirst
    Fredericks

Overall I'd be paying top dollar for defenders, I'd spend the lot on the defence alone.

If there was any change rattling around then I'd take Charlie Austin, hard working, can be got, wouldn't cost a packet.
    I'd love Benteke though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Ade has got to go but I'd like to see soldado stay one more season

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Overall I'd be paying top dollar for defenders, I'd spend the lot on the defence alone.

If there was any change rattling around then I'd take Charlie Austin, hard working, can be got, wouldn't cost a packet.
    I'd love Benteke though.

Vorm, Yedlin, Dier, Davies, Fazio....all bought last year..
    FIFA 15 was too boring.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,731 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

We will have to have some sort of fire sale to have any hope of Shifting the majority of them.

Average of 4m each sounds about right but Levy will try to squeeze every penny out of potential buyers so I expect we wont shift more then 2 or 3, 4 at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Is Lennon on loan at Everton or was he sold?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Is Lennon on loan at Everton or was he sold?

only on loan sadly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Think Everton will look to buy Lennon though, he is doing well there

Well he did seem quite happy to sign for them in January if I recall correctly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Goalkeepers
    1 Lloris
    13 Vorm
    24 Friedel
    48 McGee

Defenders
    2 Walker
    3 Rose
    4 Kaboul
    5 Vertonghen
    6 Chiriches
    12 Yedlin
    15 Dier
    21 Fazio
    33 Davies

Midfielders
    8 Paulinho
    11 Lamela
    17 Townsend
    19 Dembélé
    22 Chadli
    23 Eriksen
    25 Stambouli
    29 Capoue
    38 Mason
    39 Ceballos
    42 Bentaleb
    44 Winks
    47 Onomah

Forwards
    9 Soldado
    10 Adebayor
    18 Kane

Out on Loan/Youth
    Carroll
    Pritchard
    Alli
    McEvoy
    Veljkovic
    Coulthirst
    Fredericks

Ideally I'd sell Kaboul, Chiriches, Paulinho, Dembele, Capoue, Ceballos, Adebayor and Soldado.

In reality though, some will refuse to leave because prospective buyers will offer reduced wages. I'm talking Ade and Paulinho mainly, maybe Kaboul and Soldado too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭DyldeBrill

Goalkeepers: I'd bid Friedel a goodbye and offer him a coaching role at the club. Someone of his class deserves a role at the club after the amazing career he's had.

Defenders: I think one defender that has to go is Chiriches. So disappointing to see that this lad never took off as I thought he was going to be the next big thing at spurs. I think he'll go on and do well at another club but I don't think his heart ever really lay with spurs. Kaboul is another who has to go. Unlucky with injuries and whatnot and hope he goes on to find a suitable club and do well. I'd give Vert one more season at spurs also. He just looks like he doesn't want to be there and he's had many a bad performance this year. If he doesn't want to be at spurs sell him and get someone who wants to play. I would love to see us sign another RB as Kyle Walker frustrates me far too much to enjoy seeing him play. Lets hope Yedlin comes on leaps and bounds for next season as his pace is terrifyingly quick. I'd also like to see us sign another CB like Howedes.

Midfield: If its one thing spurs have its a congested midfield area. I'd have no qualms in selling Paulinho, Capoue, Townsend and I'm still on the fence over Lamela. We need a solid CM that can replace Mason also. I'm not saying sell Mason, but I don't think we can reach top 4 with him starting in the CM role. He gives the ball away far too much and needs another year to be mentored correctly. I would love the likes of Konoplyanka to sign. He has pace, skill and can score goals, only thing is that he'll have many more suitors. Every chance that we could get Mirallas too but I'd rather go for Konoplyanka any day.

Strikers: Ade and Soldado need to go. I really do feel for Roberto but we can't just keep hoping that he's gonna pull it out of the bag when he's clearly not going to. We will lose money on him but the sooner we can get him out the sooner we can start finding a suitable replacement. Benteke would be a great signing but I think he'll head for someone like Chelsea. Always wanted someone like Llorente at spurs so he's my ideal buy up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

DyldeBrill wrote: »
    Goalkeepers: Always wanted someone like Llorente at spurs so he's my ideal buy up front.

Ive been a fan of his for years. He nearly came, apparently, before he joined Juve, but I cant see him leaving italy after the season Juve are having. class act that he is, it would be him or Kane and never both together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Out - Walker, Kaboul, Chiriches, Dembele, Townsend, Adebayor

Add one of Stambouli or Capoue to that list as well. Whichever one Poch doesnt fancy.

In - Depending on wat he thinks of Yedlin, potentially a RB. An oldie in the style of Ivanovic. A no nonsense defender who we can play in the big games and especially away from home.

After that a real winger and not another inverted one. Id like Błaszczykowski. I direct winger who will always track back. He might fancy leaving dortmund seeing as klopp and gundogan will be and potentially others.

And a Striker to replace ade. Austin would be perfect. Free and premier league experience.

Other than that unless a deal too good to be true turns up like VDV or Berbatov then Id be happy with 5/6 out and 3 in

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Left Back on the Bench

In an ideal football manager world we'd ship out the majority and add 2/3 of quality but in reality some won't want to leave, some will want to be paid off and most importantly, levy will want to break even.

Looking at the various responses, I've come up with the below 'ins' and 'outs'. All fairly obvious and realistic.

We'd have to sell Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele to pay for Schneiderlin. Though it's probably smart to hold on to Stambouli for cover.

The only problem is we're second guessing Poch, will he hold on to Alli, Pritchard and Velkjovic or loan them all out again?

After selling Kaboul and Chiriches our defence will look a bit bare - maybe an extra experienced head is needed in there too. Hopefully Paul Mitchell can work some magic!

Out

Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Paulinho
    Dembele
    Capoue
    Cebellos
    Adebayor

In

Schneiderlin
    Konoplyanko
    Austin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

Austin
    Dean Austin?!

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Dean Austin?!

Yeah - he's making a come back. We need some experience!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

We never seem to ship out as many as we would like. Should certainly be an interesting summer, seen on twitter that Poch will have full control over transfers? Cant find the link now and i don't think there was any direct quotes in the piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

mushykeogh wrote: »
    We never seem to ship out as many as we would like. Should certainly be an interesting summer, seen on twitter that Poch will have full control over transfers? Cant find the link now and i don't think there was any direct quotes in the piece.

It was in the Mirror and had no direct quotes

Looking at the various responses, I've come up with the below 'ins' and 'outs'. All fairly obvious and realistic.

We'd have to sell Paulinho, Capoue and Dembele to pay for Schneiderlin. Though it's probably smart to hold on to Stambouli for cover.

The only problem is we're second guessing Poch, will he hold on to Alli, Pritchard and Velkjovic or loan them all out again?

After selling Kaboul and Chiriches our defence will look a bit bare - maybe an extra experienced head is needed in there too. Hopefully Paul Mitchell can work some magic!

Out

Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Paulinho
    Dembele
    Capoue
    Cebellos
    Adebayor

In

Schneiderlin
    Konoplyanko
    Austin

Jesus, I completely forgot about Aaron Lennon. He's doing well at Everton. This report is suggesting he's worth £9m.

http://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/spurs/transfer-talk/news/martinez-could-be-tempted-into-making-lennon-bid_221421.html

The loan system works again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Out
    Kaboul
    Chiriches
    Capoue
    Stambouli
    Paulinho
    Dembele
    Lennon
    Adebayor
    Soldado

I'm giving Lamela another chance :o and keeping Townsend considering we need a squad to challenge in Europe and he wants to play for us, unlike most of the above.

Schneiderlin, Benteke, Deli Alli, Pritchard and a good centre half

We need quality rather than quantity, I'd be happy with 3 players down the middle, centre back, central midfielder and a goalscorer

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

We have enough players for the future i feel now..

We need tried and trusted Prem players..

Players like below... but not obviously them......but you never know...

Jagielka,Skrtel,Lescott.

Schniederlin,Milner,Mirallas

Austin, Long, and a superstar ;)

We need tried and trusted Prem players..

Poch hears you!

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2015/05/08/mauricio-pochettino-wants-players-with-premier-league-experience/?

If we can reach the players with experience of the Premier League, I think it is better because it is good when you’ve played in it,” he said. “You know the country, the competition.

^^^^

I like the sound of that but it doesn't quite roll with Levy's tried and tested method if buy em young and cheap and turn a quick profit .

^^^^

I like the sound of that but it doesn't quite roll with Levy's tried and tested method if buy em young and cheap and turn a quick profit .

Maybe Poch sat down with Levy and spoke sense in to him. Saying 'we can do transfers the way you've done them the last few years and I'll give you the output (league finish) you've got the last few years..... or you can change the transfer policy and change the output'.

If Carlsberg did conversations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

No love for Capoue?

I'll admit I'm a casual fan compared to many in this forum but I really thought he looked a good player from the moment I seen him play for Spurs.

He has a good few fans over on the Spurs reddit forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

No love for Capoue?

I'll admit I'm a casual fan compared to many in this forum but I really thought he looked a good player from the moment I seen him play for Spurs.

He has a good few fans over on the Spurs reddit forum.

If capoue or stambouli were putting it in they would have played, they must be acting the bollicks

Advertisement