Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sterling Cheque: What to do?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭

I live in Ireland, but have a reasonable enough sized sterling cheque.

I can't speak directly with my bank The Ulsterbank in ROI as it goes to a call centre in Belfast and they say "speak to your own branch"...which I was trying to do...:rolleyes:

I also also have a sterling account in the north.

Should I take advantage of the exchange rate, pay it into my sterling account and make an international payment back to my Ulsterbank Account?

Or should I leave it in a sterling account?

Or should I pay it in directly to my ROI Ulsterbank Account? I'm told by the Belfast call centre that it can take 6 weeks and they can take a % of the total amount, as well as transfer fee...

Any advice appreciated...thanks

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tomfoolery60

You will pay substantial hidden and explicit fees if you lodge the GPB cheque to your EUR RoI account. Lodge to UK (incurring 0 fees) and then transfer using online broker (TransferWise/CurrencyFair).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Kettleson

Thanks for that TF60. That piece of advice should save me €600+. Much obliged.

Advertisement