Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

De-wormer for Blackbird

• 23-04-2015 1:37pm
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks, I was wondering could I please pick your brains - non in a zombie kind of a way...

I have a rescue adult blackbird, he's about three years old; while I was feeding it today he pooed, and I was really surprised to see what looked like a white maggot in his droppings. Does anyone know if there's anything I can give him to de-worm him? I know that garlic works very well, but I also know that it's toxic for cats, for instance, so I wasn't sure if that was also the case for birds. Would diluted neem oil be ok? Or is there any specific drug I could get for him?

Also, more worryingly, could it have been an actual maggot from a bluebottle or a fly that he ate and that developed from the eggs inside the insect??

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Verm-x maybe? I use it for my dogs but there's a few varieties for birds

http://www.verm-x.com/product/wild-birds/19/verm-x-for-wild-birds.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭Rips

Do you know anyone who keeps horses? A very small amount of moxidectin based wormer mixed in water would do the job.

A syringe of horse wormer costs from €15-€25, most horse owners wouldn't need to use the whole lot and you'd only need the scrapings from the cap!

Unless a good petshop would have some for birds, I've never seen it though.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Thanks for that folks.

TK123, I'll see if I can get the Verm-x somewhere quickly, otherwise I'll have to order it online.

Rips, unfortunately I don't know anyone with horses, but I'll see if I can find some of it in a pet shop or at a co-op, or maybe at a chemist's.

Thank you for your suggestions!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

What about diatomaceous earth? It's chemical free and harmless to people, animals and birds. Kills all sorts of parasites, bugs etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I have some of that! Serious question, though, would I have to mix it in with his food? Neither him nor the chickens seem to enjoy dust bathing in it at all, and I have to catch them and rub it onto their feathers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Kelly06

New Home wrote: »
    I have some of that! Serious question, though, would I have to mix it in with his food? Neither him nor the chickens seem to enjoy dust bathing in it at all, and I have to catch them and rub it onto their feathers...

Yeah mix it with the food. A tiny amount though.

Thanks, I'll try that too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

How cool to have a pet blackbird!
    I think I'd play it safe on this one New Home, and send an email to Bev of the Hogsprickle (hedgehog rescue), who is not only a vet nurse, but a licensed wildlife rehabilitator too. If she doesn't know the answer straight off, she'll find out for you!;)

That's a great idea DBB, will do, thanks!

Advertisement