Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TFI Friday Channel 4 Return

• 23-04-2015 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

So the Friday night show with Chris Evans and will is back for a one off on the 12th June at 9pm! Should be interesting! Maybe Shaun Ryder will make a guest appearance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Wiiiiiiiiiiil.

Wiiiiiiiiiiil.

Get the Longpigs and Northern Uproar to perform too - tonight we're gonna party like it's 1996! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

will they be doing ugly bloke and fat lookalikes ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looking forward to this, it was a strange time it went out originally 6pm on a Friday, not sure if that slot would work again. I also miss The Word, I believe there is definitely a gap in the market for a cross between these 2 shows on a Friday evening around 10pm or so.

Just looking at the Wikipedia page, the regular features are bringing back some memories...

• Freak or Unique – Every week, there would be five people waiting outside the studio, of whom three would be selected to show off a special if freakish talent (such as juicing an orange with their shoulders, or drinking milk which they then forced out of their tear ducts). A running gag throughout the run was the 'Incredibly Tall Old Lady' who would always be waiting outside the studio. She was never nominated (mainly because it was obviously an old woman standing on a box)
    • Baby Left Baby Right: A small child was placed on a cushion and the guest was asked which way it might fall
    • Fat lookalikes – People who looked like fat versions of celebrities which was then followed in later series by Asian lookalikes
    • What Does the Fat Bloke Do? – An overweight man was invited on set and asked about his occupation, before dancing and leaving
    • Comment from the Cafe – Evans would rope in Cedric (the proprietor of a local eatery) to perform various embarrassing skits. Cedric became famous for his catchphrase "Hellooooooooo!" and wooden acting
    • Ugly Blokes – Unattractive gentlemen would have the opportunity to turn down the amorous advances of a 'gorgeous girl' (Catalina Guirado). A photo of footballer Peter Beardsley was shown during the 'Ugly Bloke' theme tune
    • It's Your Letters – A wide assortment of viewers' letters (this was introduced by a burst of Reef's "Place Your Hands", re-recorded for the show with the words "It's Your Letters" replacing the original chorus of "Put our hands on").
    • Fishbowl Challenge: A goldfish in a bowl would have two toy bridges for company. Which would it swim under first?
    • Another running gag was directed at the show's producer, Will MacDonald (aka Wicked Will of MTV's Most Wanted fame), where everyone in the bar would point their fingers, begin to swivel them and chant 'Wiiillll' very creepily
    • Will: Pub Genius – Will MacDonald would demonstrate a trick that could be performed using tools commonly found in a pub
    • Wooden Bird with Purple Hair – Chris Evans would amuse the audience with a small nodding wooden woodpecker (with purple hair), that slid down a pole whilst an accompanying song was played.
    • The Lord of Love – The veteran actor Ronald Fraser dressed in a quilted smoking jacket would recite love poems to girls in the audience.
    • Wurthers – The shows cue card man. He became a frequent star of the show alongside Chris, during the last series of the show in which he was host. At the start of every show, they would both engage in telling a joke working alongside each other, with Wurthers finishing the joke with "I'm only joking of course!", with Chris then replying "He's only joking of course!". This became a frequent running gag before eventually fading out, with this being replaced with Chris sending Wurthers out on a task. The first and most memorable of these was sending him outside to look for a mini driver, while it was raining. Near the end of the show he found one and told her to say hello to the actor Minnie Driver, by waving at the camera who was at the same time being interviewed on the show with David Duchovny. The segment was originally a one-off, before being made a regular feature on the show.
    • Show Us Your Face Then – someone in a football mascot outfit is introduced to the audience and invited to show them their real face.
    • Sink or Swim – The studio audience (and viewers) were invited to speculate as to whether a chosen animal (e.g. a mouse or a snake) would sink or swim in a fishtank. To gasps of concern from the audience, the mouse turned out to be a good swimmer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The best moment in TFI

There would be outrage if that happened now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Wiiiiiiiiiiil.

Wiiiiiiiiiiil.

Get the Longpigs and Northern Uproar to perform too - tonight we're gonna party like it's 1996! :D

Oh yeah!

Silversun and Shed Seven, Cast and Ocean Colour Scene, too, lovely stuff.

TFI was great in its day. Chris Evans lost the plot after a few years but it was great in the first few years.

Hard to know if a revival will get any traction, but it's got to be worth at least one more go, a one show show for old times sake can't be all bad. Lets not remember Chris Evans' OFI Sunday on ITV in 2005, that was crap.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Reading that Wiki summary you realise how great TFI Friday was, it was hilarious and had some brilliant musical performances.

M

The best moment in TFI

There would be outrage if that happened now!

Especially on a show going out at 6pm :D

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Reading that Wiki summary you realise how great TFI Friday was, it was hilarious and had some brilliant musical performances.

For better or for worse, it was the Britpop equivalent of 'Ready, Steady, Go' in the 60's - almost every band of that era performed on the show at least once. TFI definitely captured the mood at the time that Britain was great at everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

...Jeremy Clarkson is looking for work. One day a week...get up the noses of muppets and collect shedloads of cash. Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

Used to love this back in the day, I would have been mid teens at the time.

Also used to be a big fan of the original Ray Cokes MTV Most Wanted around the same time. That was a great show, in the days when MTV was a decent channel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Time passed. Move on

mailforkev wrote: »
    Used to love this back in the day, I would have been mid teens at the time.

Also used to be a big fan of the original Ray Cokes MTV Most Wanted around the same time. That was a great show, in the days when MTV was a decent channel.

^ The number of people who have made serious cash ripping off Ray Cokes. Them were the days.

Ray Cokes what a name. He always looks like he'd had a sniff or two ;)

Ray Cokes what a name. He always looks like he'd had a sniff or two ;)

....I was just watching him again on YouTube...I'd embed some but to our younger viewers....tap "Ray Cokes" into the search bar. The guy made Gerry Ryan look like an amateur.

Still big in Belgium apparently which is the first thing that has ever made me want to emigrate to Belgium.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James2016

Just been looking at some videos on YouTube on Chris Evans channel. In order to get in the audience you have to make a clip of wild and random things! Some really funny ones ha

Now all we need is Johnny Boy Revell on The Wheels Of Steel, and we are good to go :)

Line up announced!

Blur
    Liam Gallagher
    Rodger Daltrey
    Mani (The Stone Roses)
    Ian Broude (The Lightening Seeds)
    Rudimental
    Zac Starkey
    Shaun Ryder

Its like the last 20 years never happened! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to this!

Holy. Shit. That's a pretty impressive lineup.

• Advertisement

To get us in the mood for the main event on Friday, I thought it would be a good idea to post some music from the era :)

Let's start with the obvious...

Now let's go for...

I think the Lightning Seeds were the favourite Brit-pop type act overall.

M

Silversun - I'll See You Around, preceded by some trademark Chris Evans whimsy.

Marvellous.

A band whose career was completely revived by Evans...

Oh, and lest we forget... :o

I was thinking about a TFI incident mentioned in both Chris Evans' and Danny Baker's autobiographies where they blew over £56,000 on a single gag. They flew Evans and his crew to New York on Concorde to hand deliver a script to John Cleese, ahead of his appearance on the show. When they got there, Cleese had left for Paris, so they got another Concorde to Paris

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1214642/The-expensive-joke-history-light-entertainment-How-Chris-Evans-blew-56k-stunt-went-wrong.html
    There was only one aircraft in the world more glamorous than the British Airways Concorde, and that was the Air France Concorde. In their wisdom, the French had taken out several rows of seats so there was more room and comfort for the supersonic commuter.

As we approached Paris, we turned our attentions once again to 'the most expensive joke in the history of light entertainment television' and the great John Cleese, who was staying at a hotel in Paris - except he wasn't. We were told curtly that Monsieur Cleese had just checked out and was currently on his way back to London to appear on a television show.

The thing is, they hardly mentioned it in the interview (clip below). After wasting that much money you would think they would have dragged it out a bit longer. You would never get anything like that anymore, the show must have been making a fortune. It's no wonder he lost touch with reality.

Mancunian swagger!

At least one band member wearing a kagoul!

How-Now-Brown-Cow lyrics!

I am, of course, referring to...

And my personal favourite band of the era... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

No Longpigs revival yet then?

Damn...

https:// www. youtube.com/watch?v=8STJ0O4DbfQ

(cant link due to post count)

• Advertisement

It's Your Letters! It's Your Letters!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Watching that Reef video I see a pop up telling you it's from TFI Friday the album on iTunes. Checked out Spotify and it's there too. That's my playlist sorted for the afternoon !

Is this a once off or will it be making regular appearances? The way the TV advertisements are portraying it, it seems to be a regular thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is this a once off or will it be making regular appearances? The way the TV advertisements are portraying it, it seems to be a regular thing.
    I believe it's a one-off with the potential for a series later in the year.

Will Jimmy 'Five Bellies' Gardner make an appearance? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

So excited about this show.
    So much hype though, hope it doesn't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭drugstore cowboy

Wish Liam sings something besides My Generation tonight. Oasis played it to death and he sung it with The Who not so long ago!

Anyone know if Danny Baker is involved this time?

I'd say there must be a fair chance that it won't be a one off, if the show is a success tonight

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2015/jun/12/chris-evans-tfi-friday-20th-anniversary-show-jeremy-clarkson
    TFI Friday, which first aired in 1996, is returning a year early for its 20th anniversary owing to a “clerical error”. Industry sources said it would be a “no-brainer” for Channel 4 to commission a new series if the live 90-minute special goes down well with viewers.

But much will depend on Evans who described the anniversary show as “closure” but has also said TFI Friday was “eminently doable, forever”, adding: “Television renaissances do work.”

A new series would be problematic for the BBC, as Evans, the Radio 2 breakfast host with nearly 10 million listeners a week, co-presents the Friday night edition of The One Show on BBC1 (from which he has been given the night off).

But if that doesn't happen, it'll be good to relive the glory days and put some closure on it. Chris Evans didn't even bother presenting the final TFI series, he got a succession of guest presenters to fill in. A great show deserved better than that.

Anyone know if Danny Baker is involved this time?

Very much so, Harry.

https://twitter.com/prodnose/status/609101350178316288

Cradle to Grave is the BBC adaptation of his first autobiograpy, starring Peter Kay as his Dad. Looking forward to that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

Skid X wrote: »
    It's Your Letters! It's Your Letters!

I was only 9 when this aired but I remember it, and watching this makes me miss 90's britpop. A much better time for music.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 James2016

Anyone know of any live TV streams to watch it online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

No steam talk allowed here, sorry.... see charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Mr E wrote: »

But there is a sale on....

Watch it as legally as you like live using filmon.com

*orders six-pack of Red Stripe*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the E has been sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Mr E wrote: »

But this is free to air in Ireland already so streaming is ok. In fact i think c4 have a live stream on their website which just requires a registered account

Noelrock red alert :D

Nearly TFI O'Clock!

Ner ner ne ner ner ner ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement