Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TFI Friday Channel 4 Return

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

TFI was the most watched programme after 9 PM

3.75m average tuned in last night peaking at 4.2m, I'd say you can add at least another million for +1 and catch up over the next few days. Channel 4s' highest rated show of the year.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,343 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Skid X wrote: »
    But it also had a late night repeat, sometimes with an exclusive sketch just for the late night viewers!

That's usually when I watched it after being in the pub since straight after work. It was a bit odd watching it sober last night. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

did they do ugly bloke last night??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Beaucoupfish

I used to love TFI when in college but last night wasn't great. It got off to an ok start but the old clips didn't work and the Top Gear section at the end was tragic. Who thought Lewis Hamilton would be a good idea on an entertainment show, especially a 90's nostalgia entertainment show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

fryup wrote: »
    did they do ugly bloke last night??

Not officially but there were many in the programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,054 ✭✭✭✭Basq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,599 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of boardsies who were too young to remember TFI first time round, what they thought of last night's show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Thought it was a bit of a damp squib myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I don't think the "I seriously don't want to be the next Top Gear host, really" stuff worked but barring that, good stuff overall.

The kids stare off thing was hilarious.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

So whens Dont Forget Your Tootbrush back on.

:D
    TFI was the most watched programme after 9 PM

3.75m average tuned in last night peaking at 4.2m, I'd say you can add at least another million for +1 and catch up over the next few days. Channel 4s' highest rated show of the year.

And that probably did not includ viewers in the ROI, 19% of the Audience share for that slot friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Delta2113

I really enjoyed it - total nostalgia. The new set was fantastic. I like Chris Evans and would prefer him to host the show if it comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Watched the repeat on Saturday night and loved it.
    Really brought back memories.

Overall really good show (apart from hamilton and Nick Grimshaw but thats just me...)
    Evan's mother was great crack, music was decent and most of the guests were decent.
    Not sure if bringing it back fulltime would work but I certainly would watch it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

https://twitter.com/achrisevans/status/610187263658598400

"Future of TFI in Channel 4's hands" If Chris Evans wants it to return, I would be amazed if TFI doesn't come back in some form. If you are the Channel 4 executive that turns it down, you would want to be very confident that you had something else lined up that would deliver big viewing figures. And hope that Evans doesn't go to another station and take TFI (or something similar) with him.

If it doesn't come back with Evans, McDonald and Baker (minimum).. then it shouldn't come back at all IMO.

Never mind the horrific thought of Grimmy hosting it!

Basq wrote: »
    If it doesn't come back with Evans, McDonald and Baker (minimum).. then it shouldn't come back at all IMO.

Never mind the horrific thought of Grimmy hosting it!

It really did feel like they were plugging him for taking over, didn't it?

But I dunno - I said it before and I'll say it again; surely Evans is now too old for the market they're aiming for? To me, TFI Friday was always aimed at the 20-30 (maybe 40, at a push) year old demographic (though, admittedly, I was watching it when I was a preteen), but he's now approaching 50 and you could tell that he was sometimes struggling with the hectic pace that was required.

I mean, I don't see why Baker and McDonald can't be involved, but they might need to bring in a younger, more fresh-faced host.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭thesultan

Evans has to host it. One problem the utter tripe music (modern) they played now in comparison with before is huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Would be interesting to hear the opinions of boardsies who were too young to remember TFI first time round, what they thought of last night's show.

My OH is not Irish so she had never heard of the show and didn't really want to watch it when I said it was on. In the end she actually enjoyed it. She was surprised at the amount and calibre of the guests. The LLS would get 2 seasons out of that guest list!!

I loved the pace of it and the format is really good for the type of show it is. I’m not sure if they could sustain it if it came back full time, but I think the odd special would be great.

thesultan wrote: »
    Evans has to host it. One problem the utter tripe music (modern) they played now in comparison with before is huge.

In fairness, the newish bands they played were actually pretty decent.

f3307ea5b8ad908d893cd029288d6465.jpg

In fairness, the newish bands they played were actually pretty decent.

I was struck by the awful trilling X Factor level vocals of Years & Years as compared to say Roger Daltry!

• Advertisement

Chris Evans is the new Top Gear main presenter ... that's the end of a TFI revival being any good.

Chris Evans is the new Top Gear main presenter ... that's the end of a TFI revival being any good.

Cool. I'll probably start watching it again.

Maybe they can combine the two - Top TFI Gear with the Charlatans in a Reasonably Priced Car

Maybe they can combine the two - Top TFI Gear with the Charlatans in a Reasonably Priced Car

Have Nick Grimshaw as the new Top Gear presenter, and let him test the speed of a Vampire dragster :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Roar wrote: »

Great news.

I also heard that a crowd funding project to bring back the Crystal Maze has also been fully subscribed.

http://entertainment.ie/tv/news/The-Crystal-Maze-hits-crowdfunding-target-amp-is-officially-coming-back-with-Richard-OBrien-invol/366649.htm

The return of 'Eurotrash' next :D

M

The return of 'Eurotrash' next :D

and while they are at is The Word :D

Well I hope it's better than the other week (personally speaking). A great show back in the day. Whatever about anything else, I'm so glad Nick Grimshaw didn't get it (yet). That was probably Evans idea of a joke though!

• Advertisement

Ah well :o I didn't think he would do both of them.

Evans' career rollercoaster continues ... after being pretty much written off a few years ago he is now presenting TFI Friday and Top Gear, and the most popular radio show in Britain.

Glad to see TFI getting a series. It may or may not work but I thought the last show was (mostly) great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

and while they are at is The Word :D

Dont forget 'Dont Forget Your Toothbrush'.

In hindsight, the last part of the recent TFI was Evans' giving a cheeky audition for the role of Top Gear presenter, what with the Lewis Hamilton interview and race around the track. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

he, and Clarkson, already knew he had that gig before that night imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Ah well :o I didn't think he would do both of them.

Evans' career rollercoaster continues ... after being pretty much written off a few years ago he is now presenting TFI Friday and Top Gear, and the most popular radio show in Britain.

Glad to see TFI getting a series. It may or may not work but I thought the last show was (mostly) great.

He'll have as many comebacks as Jonathon Ross next!

I do think he's a great choice for Top Gear, it was getting a bit staid anyway, just depends on what they make of it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

The new series begins next Friday (16th.) - not sure what time, as Gogglebox and Alan Carr have the schedule space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The new series begins next Friday (16th.) - not sure what time, as Gogglebox and Alan Carr have the schedule space.

?

What if it clashes with the Late Late?

Oh, hang on, I'll get a second telly.

Looking forward to it!

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    ?

What if it clashes with the Late Late?

Oh, hang on, I'll get a second telly.

Looking forward to it!

Unless 'The Simpsons' and 'Hollyoaks' get pushed forward an hour, so TFI is in the ole 6pm slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,823 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Digiguide says TFI Friday will be on at 8pm for an hour.
    ENTERTAINMENT: TFI Friday
    On: Channel 4 HD
    Date: Friday 16th October 2015 (starting in 9 days)
    Time: 20:00 to 21:00 (1 hour long)

Following the triumphant return of TFI Friday earlier this year, Chris Evans' seminal cult entertainment show is back with a new series. Broadcasting from a new home in central London, there's brand new features, raucous stunts and brilliant guests. Tonight there's interviews and music from Take That, Steve Coogan, Slaves and Saoirse Ronan. TFI is once again set to be a key part of the Friday night schedule.
    (High Definition, Subtitles, 3 Star)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.tv/?p=1&r=53031

Copyright (c) GipsyMedia Limited.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

lertsnim wrote: »
    Digiguide says TFI Friday will be on at 8pm for an hour.

Sounds like it's going to be very tame, given the time slot, it's not supposed to be family viewing.

Sounds like it's going to be very tame, given the time slot, it's not supposed to be family viewing.

Huh? It was originally shown at 6pm on a Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Edit: Bazmo just got in before me.

It used to be on early evenings on a Friday. Was it always just an hour long ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭FelineOverLord

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Huh? It was originally shown at 6pm on a Friday.

:oI'm thinking of The Word

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,383 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Hopefully now that Evans has the Top Gear job, he won't use this to audition for the job

U2 will also be on Friday's show - anybody remember when TFI broadcast live from Temple Bar on St. Patrick's Day?

M

U2 will also be on Friday's show - anybody remember when TFI broadcast live from Temple Bar on St. Patrick's Day?

Yes that's going back, I am getting old :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

I have seen any of them yet - is Will still part of the show? Apparently himself and Evans couldn't stand each other.

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    I have seen any of them yet - is Will still part of the show? Apparently himself and Evans couldn't stand each other.
    He was in the once-off so can't see why not..

M

I suppose a large quantity of cash can heal very deep wounds :D

First time I've heard that always assumed they remained friends from what I've heard over the years - I thought Will worked for Evan's production company after the original TFI ended also. Could be wrong. Evans does seem to have wound up many people over the years, understandably, he does seem a changed man now though - still got some ego however :P

Wiiiiiiiiiiiiil :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement