Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TFI Friday Channel 4 Return

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,321 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Nice hair, Bono :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

There aren't nearly enough TV shows doing live sliding down stairs bobsleigh competitions on Friday Nights.

It's good to have TFI back :)

Skid X wrote: »
    There aren't nearly enough TV shows doing live sliding down stairs bobsleigh competitions on Friday Nights.

It's good to have TFI back :)

Joe Duffy and Oliver Callan to do a slip-n-slide :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

If they ever decide to do a biopic of Steve Bull's career, "Raised by Wolves" would be the perfect soundtrack ;)

u2simpsons.gif

I reckon the A&E departments will be packed tonight with groups of drunken people presenting with severe back pain after trying that chair thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bono :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

U2 will also be on Friday's show - anybody remember when TFI broadcast live from Temple Bar on St. Patrick's Day?

Eamonn Doran's. The place was an institution and is sorely missed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I thought she was from Carlow??? Her accent sounds very close to home

• Advertisement

Saoirse Ronan sounds more Irish when she isn't in ireland.

Like an Irish version of Daphne off of Frasier.

Lovely Saoirse :)

I wonder if Tubs is aware that Saoirse has snubbed him for Chris Evans? He'll be inconsolable.

Roger Moore is still the coolest man on the planet.

Love that story about his Dad expecting him to appear on KMKYW Alan Partridge

Good stuff...and it's all downhill from here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

Wasn't a big an of TFI back in the day, it had it's moments but thought it stood for all the smugness and self congratulation at the height of the britpop era. Didn't see the last one but for me, it's now just weird and the 'banter' and 'zaniness' seems so forced. Slip and slide?The drum? Kerazy! It's like the show equivalent of the guy in the pub in his thirties or forties who still wears the same clothes/haircut and makes the same jokes as in he did in his twenties. Definitely a big need for this kind of a show in an early evening slot but this is just lazy programming

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Saoirse Ronan sounds more Irish when she isn't in ireland.

Like an Irish version of Daphne off of Frasier.

Thank you - you're right: Daphne and her painful mother all had weird ersatz British accents you'll never hear away from US TV. Linguists must have a term for it...
    Tonight's show was all right but I can't imagine it becoming the water cooler TV it was back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

Carcrash tv. The music was great. Everything else...........ugh. They tried really hard to make it a glorious mess, it was just a mess. The interviews....pointless. Maybe the extended version will be a bit better. If it was 2 hours it would have been fine. It was just all over the place. You couldn't even hear the interviews clearly due to the background noise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

When is the extended version shown?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

Addle wrote: »
    When is the extended version shown?

Tonight at 11pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

strawdog wrote: »
    Wasn't a big an of TFI back in the day, it had it's moments but thought it stood for all the smugness and self congratulation at the height of the britpop era. Didn't see the last one but for me, it's now just weird and the 'banter' and 'zaniness' seems so forced. Slip and slide?The drum? Kerazy! It's like the show equivalent of the guy in the pub in his thirties or forties who still wears the same clothes/haircut and makes the same jokes as in he did in his twenties. Definitely a big need for this kind of a show in an early evening slot but this is just lazy programming
    You're great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭hawkwind23

strawdog wrote: »

Shows how poor and money driven programming is nowadays.
    This is a money spinner to wring the last few cents out of it , everyone knows it crap but they gotta put a bit of effort in and everyone gets paid.
    Only bit i liked was the unsigned girls , at least something positive might come out of it for them.

Agreed , a similar type show for 2015 will work but the execs are too scared to take a chance.

I may watch next week but purely because im off the drink and the rest of the TV is probably even worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How does the extended version work? Was it not meant to be live, which is why he had the clock?

I find it funny that he was talking about all his guests coming over the weeks and there's Billie standing in the audience without a mention til Chris thanks her at the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭brian_t

After the program ended, U2 stayed on stage and did two more songs: "Song For Someone" and "Out Of Control." Those will air on an extended replay Saturday night at 11:00 pm on Channel 4.

http://www.atu2.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭strawdog

You're great craic

Cutting stuff, just y'know, my opinion man. But if TFI is your definition of craic, I'll take it

Beiber!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is this not live, I missed the start, was bieber in earlier for a pre-record

Shaun Ryder moment :pac:

bieber always seems like he doing the bare minimum to keep his ride going

bieber always seems like he doing the bare minimum to keep his ride going

Fair play to him.

This is already guaranteed to be funnier than the actual 'Citizen Khan'.

• Advertisement

i know the show was always daubs of nonsense but its seems even bit-tier then before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Sorry but after 3 episodes, I'm out!

Get over the slip-and-slide stuff.. stop shoe-horning your child in for cringey segments.. etc.

Enjoyed the one-off but this has been terrible IMO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Seems to be going down hill with each episode. Last nights was even more forced than before, if thats possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

It was mostly crap first time round, now it's trying to play on the nostalgia of those who watched it back then.
    Alas, like many shows we revisit a decade or two later, they really WERE/ARE that bad!

Chris Evans always was a "tries too hard to be cool and hip" type but this is just cynical money-grabbing. I can only imagine how god-awful the new Top Gear will be, but thankfully Amazon will have the real Top Gear - it's like how back in the day there was a Ghostbusters cartoon that bore no resemblance to the movies at the same time as the REAL Ghostbusters cartoon came along

REEF! :D

I was thinking that 5 Seconds of Summer song is a rip off of Hungry like The Wolf, but apparently it's a "sample" and they are getting some of the royalties. Duran Duran are doing well out of this show.

http://www.soundsjustlike.com/5652/5-seconds-of-summer-sounds-like-duran-duran/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I enjoyed it this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I was thinking that 5 Seconds of Summer song is a rip off of Hungry like The Wolf, but apparently it's a "sample" and they are getting some of the royalties. Duran Duran are doing well out of this show.

http://www.soundsjustlike.com/5652/5-seconds-of-summer-sounds-like-duran-duran/

Was thinking the very same!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

On tonights show...

Mark Ronson
    ELO
    Hozier
    Stereophonics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Used to love the show originally. Still love it I have to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

mickdw wrote: »

Same here - probably a nostalgia thing but it's waaaaaay better than the other weekend chat show fare imho.

Graham Norton just seems to be another stop on the Hollywood film promo junkets, Allan Carr isn't that funny anymore & gets poor guest, and Tubbers and Darcy....:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

mickdw wrote: »

Yeah I love it too. I think the pace of the show is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

Hozier is on it tonight.

More Jeff Lynne, less Ronson :)

Another Shaun Ryder moment, courtesy of Mr. Wood :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

What did Wood do?

thesultan wrote: »
    What did Wood do?

Naughty swear word before the watershed

Jurassic Park!
    Alan Partridge is to co-host TFI Friday.

Norfolk’s finest is to host a special comedy edition of Channel 4’s music show at Christmas.

James Corden, Jack Whitehall and Lee Mack will be guests, along with Tom Jones.

Regular host Chris Evans said: ‘Having staggered through nearly 200 TFI rehearsals and live shows, it’ll be a relief to see how it should be done by Norfolk’s master of broadcasting.’

And in character, Steve Coogan’s character added: ‘I was honoured to receive the invitation to co-present Thank Frig It’s Friday. The fee was more than generous, and as soon as I received photographic evidence my dressing room had its own shower, I signed on the dotted line.’

Bryan Adams, Lianne La Havas and Elle King will also be on the 90-minute show, that will air at 7.30pm on December 18.

http://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2015/12/01/23694/tfi_alan_partridge%21?rss

Alan: I loved that phrase you used, it was very clever – ‘Revolution, not evolution'.

Tony Hayers: No, it was the opposite. ‘Evolution, not revolution'.

Alan: Well, whatever. Because that is me. I ‘evolve', but I don't… ‘revolve'…. Or vice-versa. I suppose what you're trying to say is, you don't want another Chris Evans on your hands.

Tony Hayers: No, that is what we want.

Alan: I'm your man.

Enough Ocean Colour Scene, we want Longpigs! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement