Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do I change my back garden to cement only?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Also,

Does anyone know if 'stamp concrete' is an expensive method of doing a driveway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭mr chips

An alternative approach to concrete could be to cut the grass right down as short as possible, cover the whole thing in porous weed barrier, put in a new layer of clay/soil and sow it out with camomile. Get the right variety (Treneague) from somewhere like here - http://www.camomilelawns.co.uk/ - and you should end up with a lawn that will never need cutting and not grow much above 4-5 inches. That will look nicer than concrete and be more pleasant to walk on in your bare feet on a hot day than stones - it also gives off a mild fragrance.

The same sort of preparation would have to be done if you were putting flags/stones down (i.e. cutting back existing growth, putting down a wee barrier & covering it with quarry dust/sand), but the cost and labour for the camomile would be a lot lower and if you do it at this time of year you should see the results by the end of the summer. Plus you can always decide to plant a couple of small non-proliferating shrubs etc in the future without having to buy pots and be watering them as often in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭homer911

If you go with concrete tiles, leave random tile-sized holes and plant with ground cover plants. This will break up the concrete, leave you with something that still looks like a garden and will only need occasional pruning.

If you get fed up with the plants, pull them out and drop in a concrete tile.

Advertisement