Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 10), Apr 24-25

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

But, we do seem to be getting quite a big number and we dont play like Barca every week either

Personally think the brand of football needed to attract crowds in LOI is overrated. Obviously not saying horrible football will fly, but it's more about winning stuff, late goals, drama, ultras etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Unfortunately I wasn't in Cork to witness the systematic destruction of the rebels by our boys (long story involving baby, fall, bruise, head and hospital) and had to watch it on RTE late on Friday evening. Managed to steer clear of spoilers which enhanced my viewing pleasure.

Ended up going to the Drogheda game against Longford. (a hammering for Drogs which was quite enjoyable). Second time seeing Ben Mohamed play and he looks a really good player. So skilful and has the ability to glide past players at ease. Rarely plays a bad pass. Has to be one of the best young players in the league. Cousins is a tough taskmaster. Still bollocking his players at the end when they were 3-0 up. They have a decent team in fairness. Gave us a good game in Oriel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,672 ✭✭✭adaminho

He could help out by becoming manager :D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Pighead wrote: »
    Second time seeing Ben Mohamed play and he looks a really good player.

He scored an absolute cracker against us in the league cup and generally looked pretty decent.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

anncoates wrote: »
    Plus Cork are the only Premier club in the second largest city in the country. He can deny that, but's it's a big contributing factor.

It's also the main factor leading to, bar a handful of games, getting consistently small away crowds at our matches. How many away crowds of 500+ do Rovers get a season? Bohs, Pats, Dundalk? That's 4 or 5 solid matches that boost the average, and it's the same for the other clubs in Dublin. Then the likes of Cork City, Sligo, Drogheda etc. would bring maybe 100-200? So, 4/5 very good crowds, 4/5 fairly good ones. That's a consistenly decent number from away fans.

In recent years, the only 500+ away crowd we've had was Rovers last season. We get 200-300 maybe once or twice a season (usually only Rovers, Dundalk have recently brought good numbers and Pats brought good numbers the last game of 2013 and the first game of 2014). Most away teams have less than a hundred fans and a few have less than ten. If it's a Monday night game, the away section has literally no fans in it. If Pats get an average of 1,500, about 250 are away fans (boosted mainly by the derbies, but other teams bring decent crowds to keep it relatively high). So, away support account for about 17% of the average (Pats fans, would that be fair?). Last season, we averaged 3,800. We average about 80-90 away fans. So, away fans account for about 2.5% of our average. The difference between City and many other clubs is that our average attendance is almost exclusicely home fans.

I agree that if we were midtable, we'd be getting much smaller crowds. 2014 was about double the crowds as 2013. But, the marketing campaigns ensure that we at least get a decent crowd at the start. In 2013, we had no campaign and our first (and biggest crowd) was 2,800. In 2014, we did have a campaign and our first crowd was 5,322. There was no success factor at the start in 2014, because we were on the back of a mid-table finish and no one expected us to do much. There was a new manager and a big City name like Caulfield, but most of that increase was down to the campaign. The 2013 opening match was very exciting and we won. So, if we had a big crowd at it, a lot would have returned for the following match. We did lose the next match, but it would have meant two big crowds in the season, and further campaigns (in spite of an average season) would likely have added quite a bit to our attendances. At the very least, it's making hay while the sun shines - and the sun shines for all clubs in the opening matches, when everyone's optimistic and looking forward to the year ahead. We won't get anywhere near a 7,000 crowd we next time, but we were still able to get that crowd while the hype lasted and future campaigns will probably lead to 4,000/5,000 crowds later this season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I think our base crowd is about 1500-1750 in the premier. In division 1 it was about 1000. Some clubs dream of that as a great gate while it is the CCFC minimum.

We are progressing nicely as a club. The future is certainly bright.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Pighead wrote: »
    Second time seeing Ben Mohamed play and he looks a really good player. So skilful and has the ability to glide past players at ease. Rarely plays a bad pass. Has to be one of the best young players in the league.
    He was fantastic for us early on last season and scored a wonderful goal against Athlone, then got a bad injury and was out for most of the rest of the season. Was hoping he would have given us another year, but glad he seems to be doing well at Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    It's also the main factor leading to, bar a handful of games, getting consistently small away crowds at our matches. How many away crowds of 500+ do Rovers get a season? Bohs, Pats, Dundalk?
    Pats when they're doing well. Bohs, no. Dundalk maybe this season, never before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rovers have always got low away crowds in Tallaght. Only Bohs and Pats have brought any supporters in real numbers. Pats bring more at the moment. Looks like Dundalk brought about 350 last week but it's usually lower. Same for Cork.

Don't think the point was nitpicking about away supporters, or knocking Cork by the way, just that none of the 3 or 4 clubs with big nascent support in the league have cracked keeping attendances when the team is doing poorly so JC has a short memory to be blowing his trumpet like that.

By the time Croly left, our average Tallaght attendances were down about 1500 from the MON era and currently are back hovering around them. I'm only basing it on Tallaght because it's only fair to talk about playing in your own ground. IIRC, our average Tolka attendances, for example, were bigger than people assume but small enough: 1200 or 1300 I think which is fair enough for playing in a rival stadium on the Northside after 20 odd years without a ground.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Saw the highlights of the Bohs Derry game there, some strike from Dillon to equalise.

Goal by itself

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Bray Wanderers 0-5 (Five) Galway United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

Pats when they're doing well. Bohs, no. Dundalk maybe this season, never before.

Would you stop. Even under Heary when there was no rapport between supporters and the manager, and by extension some of the team, we would have brought 500 easily.

This was earlier in the year. I could post more images but I think you get the point
    11096709_1136129219746620_1910244443705083540_n.jpg?oh=435b06a2c0fcf885626b9206e79fb63c&oe=55DAE636

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

gimmick wrote: »
    I think our base crowd is about 1500-1750 in the premier. In division 1 it was about 1000. Some clubs dream of that as a great gate while it is the CCFC minimum.

We are progressing nicely as a club. The future is certainly bright.

As well as your base, the longer you can keep the attendances around 5,000 or so, the bigger that base will be when the club starts losing games. Sure, most will fall away but you'll end up with another hundred or so diehards who will support you through thick and thin.

We see it at Limerick all the time. Team is doing well, so there are upwards of 1500 and maybe even 2000 there. But after a string of bad results, we are back to as low as 500 people.

At the moment, it's even lower than that, but I think that the combination of Saturday nights, and playing in Jackman, along with banning 30 people, and being crap on the pitch, is a perfect storm of stuff to keep fans away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

osarusan wrote: »
    As well as your base, the longer you can keep the attendances around 5,000 or so, the bigger that base will be when the club starts losing games. Sure, most will fall away but you'll end up with another hundred or so diehards who will support you through thick and thin.

We see it at Limerick all the time. Team is doing well, so there are upwards of 1500 and maybe even 2000 there. But after a string of bad results, we are back to as low as 500 people.

At the moment, it's even lower than that, but I think that the combination of Saturday nights, and playing in Jackman, along with banning 30 people, and being crap on the pitch, is a perfect storm of stuff to keep fans away.

577 is your average, Jacman Park is a kip and from what I see on the telly the only thing done to the place since I was last there was the roof being repaired. I hope the Markets Field brings back some support.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Advertisement