Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for compatible processor

Options
  • 23-04-2015 7:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭

I'm looking to hopefully upgrade my processor but I'm new to my MoBo and I'm not quite sure which processor would be a decent upgrade or what would work.

I'd really appreciate some assistance here :o

My motherboard is an MSI FM2 A55M-E35. At the moment I'm sitting with an A8-6600K @ 3.9GHz and it's bottlenecking my GPU a bit, although I'm thinking of upgrading that as well but not right away.

I must have like 5 or 6 threads in this forum alone dating as far back as 2010 and yet I am still crawling back looking for more help :P I feel so stupid :o

Thanks in advance lads.

Also, my PC is pretty much AMD all over but I had an nVidia GPU last year, upgraded to a R7 260x (not the best but was definitely better than my last one). If I had the option to go for an Intel Processor and an nVidia GPU, I most certainly would in a heartbeat but, again, I haven't got a clue what's compatible with this board. (this CPU came already installed into my PC)

Again, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Best FM2 CPU seems to be the 6800k, which runs at 4.1gHz, not much of a jump. Save up for new motherboard and CPU is probably best option. i3 and a motherboard can be gotten for about €150, or a Pentium G3258 and motherboard for €100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Do you know which motherboards would be a significant improvement to mine?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

This is assuming you want Intel then? MSI H81M P33 is €45, LGA 1150 chip set, so its compatible with the high end consumer i5, i7 and Xeons.

i3 I was quoting price for is i3-4160.

I haven't a clue about AMD motherboards, but FM3+ is the newest chip set AFAIK, you have the likes of FX 6300 or 8350 CPUs available for it.

All your stuff should be compatible, generally only CPUs and their motherboard that bring up incompatibilities

Advertisement