Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PSU Enough?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Will be building my first system in a couple of weeks and still up in the air about one or two things.

Here's the current build.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZbrBdC h440 case green not razer version.

I'm tempted to change the GPU to the r9 290x and will be overclocking the CPU & GPU, just wondering could I get away with a 650W or should I stick with the 750W for the PSU?

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

No need in 4690k if its for gaming. Nor 16gb RAM but its probably for video editing I assume? If so, get a Xeon, 1231 v3 is about €260, worth the money for editing.

290 is a worthy upgrade if you've the capital, nothing wrong with a 280X by any mean. 650w is loads for either card with either CPU

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭TwistedPixel88

No need in 4690k if its for gaming. Nor 16gb RAM but its probably for video editing I assume? If so, get a Xeon, 1231 v3 is about €260, worth the money for editing.

290 is a worthy upgrade if you've the capital, nothing wrong with a 280X by any mean. 650w is loads for either card with either CPU

Thanks for the quick response, well it will be mostly for gaming + I want to get(back) into video editing.

I thought the i5 would be better for gaming as it has a higher clock speed?

Great about the PSU thanks. The budget is growing with each version of the build :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Tonnes and tonnes. You could drop down to a 450W unit and still be fine. An overclocked system with a 290X will pull around 400W from the wall (so only around 340W through the PSU itself).

The Xeon is an i7 without the onboard graphics, so its octa-core when it needs to. Massive difference with video editing, minimal while gaming, as the GPU handles most tasks.

500W PSU is probably a good choice, Thermaltake Hamburg 530W is about 45-50, if stocked where you're buying from. Be Quiets are about 60 at that Wattage

The Xeon is an i7 without the onboard graphics, so its octa-core when it needs to. Massive difference with video editing, minimal while gaming, as the GPU handles most tasks.

No it isn't. It's a ~6-core under optimal circumstances. I'll admit I haven't looked at it in a while, but the last time I did, even the most optimistic benchmarks only showed around a 50% increase, most of the time only around 25%.

When you consider it can only run at 3.4 (or 3.8 if you bump it up in BIOS), and a cheaper 4690K can easily be clocked to 4.5 with €30 worth of cooling... Unless you're really really uncomfortable with overclocking I'd be hard-pressed to recommend it.

Obviously there are cases for it though. If you just want a workhorse, it makes sense to go for the Xeon for reliability, thermals, etc.

• Advertisement

And I am proved completely wrong. Thanks for that Sere, I'll know for next time :D

Just because I don't want to be one of those cúnts who spouts unsupported claims:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8227/devils-canyon-review-intel-core-i7-4790k-and-i5-4690k/3

Minimal gains, except in one or two multi-threaded benchmarks where it gains around 60%. Didn't see any video rendering ones, but if video encoding is anything similar, it's not worth it at all.

Edit: Better review showing more applications - Adobe, 3DS Max, etc.
    http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i7-4790k-i5-4690k_6.html#sect0

(I got mine cheap, or I'd have got a 4690K, before you ask. :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭TwistedPixel88

Ha thanks guys! The cpu is actually the only thing that hasn't changed in my proposed build on v13 or something now. As regards to the psu I'll drop down to the 650W, 500W might be too low as I want to future proof it a bit.

Advertisement