Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

efibre - what is it really?

Options
  • 23-04-2015 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have just signed on with Eircom e-fibre.  I am trying to resolve an issue I have with a voip app connecting via wifi.  Prior to the "upgrade" I was very successfully using an app for ringing the US from my home wifi.  However, when I got the new modem  (F2000) I realised that the app doesnt work.  I am in the process of working with the app development community to correct the issue but am stuck describing my current environment.  

the F2000 doesn't appear to be a router (like one where I could open up a port on the firewall)  is that correct?  It says on the box that its a home gateway. Can anyone explain? 

Also, is this e-fibre really just souped up DSL?  I'd really love some tech specs on what it is so I can better explain the environment and get this app working again.  
    Hope someone can help. 

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Sabriana wrote: »
    I have just signed on with Eircom e-fibre.  I am trying to resolve an issue I have with a voip app connecting via wifi.  Prior to the "upgrade" I was very successfully using an app for ringing the US from my home wifi.  However, when I got the new modem  (F2000) I realised that the app doesnt work.  I am in the process of working with the app development community to correct the issue but am stuck describing my current environment.  

the F2000 doesn't appear to be a router (like one where I could open up a port on the firewall)  is that correct?  It says on the box that its a home gateway. Can anyone explain? 

Also, is this e-fibre really just souped up DSL?  I'd really love some tech specs on what it is so I can better explain the environment and get this app working again.  
    Hope someone can help. 
    you need to enter the VoIP settings into the modem then register your VoIP settings to the phone socket on the modem then connect a phone to it. your VoIP provider can provide the settings then call bbtech to put the settings into the modem for you

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sabriana

you need to enter the VoIP settings into the modem then register your VoIP settings to the phone socket on the modem then connect a phone to it. your VoIP provider can provide the settings then call bbtech to put the settings into the modem for you

Thanks for the speedy reply Bog Standard User - and if I was looking for help with the VOIP you'd be bang on the money.

I am trying to figure out how to turn off SIP ALG on this particular router.  I have managed to find out more about the technical details of the setup - fibre to the cabinet then copper to the house (basically souped up DSL).  This particular router has an SIP ALG that seems to be getting in the way of the app working properly for me.  Some routers don't have this and some have an ability to turn it off - but the manual doesn't say anything. 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

eFibre is VDSL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks for the speedy reply Bog Standard User - and if I was looking for help with the VOIP you'd be bang on the money.

I am trying to figure out how to turn off SIP ALG on this particular router. I have managed to find out more about the technical details of the setup - fibre to the cabinet then copper to the house (basically souped up DSL). This particular router has an SIP ALG that seems to be getting in the way of the app working properly for me. Some routers don't have this and some have an ability to turn it off - but the manual doesn't say anything.
    Hi Sabriana

I have escalated your query to our technical support team, ultimately what I've taken from your query is "how to turn off SIP ALG"?. I unaware if this can be turned off however if that is the case you are welcome to use a third party router of your own choice.

I can confirm that the present form of fibre is indeed FTTC (fibre to the cabinet). As soon as I have a response from our technical support team I will let you know right away.

Many thanks
    AL

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sabriana

Thanks AL - I ran this past the tech support group at Eircom via online chat - was hoping a bright spark round here might have found a way.   Might have to go the different router route (ahem)  but wanted to hold off on that for as long as possible.  Thanks but the answer though. 

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Thanks AL - I ran this past the tech support group at Eircom via online chat - was hoping a bright spark round here might have found a way.   Might have to go the different router route (ahem)  but wanted to hold off on that for as long as possible.  Thanks but the answer though. 
    No worries Sabriana

I have not had a response or update from technical support yet however anybody reading this are welcome to post :)

I'll update as soon as I can

Cheers
    Al

Advertisement