Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA/LET Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Just turned tv on and first thing that greets me is Leona birdie on her second. Hopefully a sign of a good evening ahead!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,362 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

eagle eye wrote: »
    None of those at the top of the leaderboard are that long off the tee. Salas is very short.

Salas might not be that short anymore. She is putting in serious work in the gym this year. I follow Forefitnessgolf on instagram and she has been putting in massive work with them for the last year or so

Judging by stats, Salas is 144th on average driving distance this season with average drive of 245 yards. Celine Boutier is co leading and she's 113th on the list with 252 yards average distance. So while it definitely is a long course by lpga standards, that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a bomber to contend. Maguire is midway on the list averaging 260 yards so she's neither very long nor short. Mission Hills is an equally long golf course and she played well there so length not the biggest issue here I think. Avoiding water which seems to be everywhere, especially on back 9, more a factor I'd say so accuracy with irons and approaches and that's one of her strengths, usually anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

-2 thru 16 holes and T24, but 9 shots off the lead, Nelly birdied 7 of the last 8 holes to get to -11 :eek:

Round spoiled somewhat by a double on 13, but still a 71 for -3 overall and she's inside the top 20 right now. Having another good tournament.

Scoring looks a bit higher overall today, tougher pin positions perhaps. Salas and Korda appear to be playing a different course to the test! Opening up a nice gap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,663 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Round spoiled somewhat by a double on 13, but still a 71 for -3 overall and she's inside the top 20 right now. Having another good tournament.

Scoring looks a bit higher overall today, tougher pin positions perhaps. Salas and Korda appear to be playing a different course to the test! Opening up a nice gap.

Her only 2 blemishes the last 2 rounds have both been double bogeys. Still a high finish on the cards with a good round tomorrow.

71 again on Sunday, currently t16. Not a bad finish in a major following last week's runners up spot.
    Nelly putting on a show again with 2 eagles, looking home and hosed for her first major.

Awesome from Korda. Was hoping for Salas but it's a mismatch, hitting fairway woods and hybrids into greens where your opponent is hitting 7 and 8i. Kelly has all the shots though, No.1 in world and first of how many majors? Another decent week for Leona.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Scrabbel

Speak Now wrote: »
    71 again on Sunday, currently t16. Not a bad finish in a major following last week's runners up spot.
    Nelly putting on a show again with 2 eagles, looking home and hosed for her first major.

For a moderate week by her recent standards, another $55-60k is still a decent week’s work. Also shows she’s playing consistently well.

Double for nelly, dunno did i hex her? Terrible mistake off the tee.

• Advertisement

Just dropped 1 place to 14th in race to CME globe, prize money for the season gone over half a million dollars now. She's sitting next week out, well deserved break.

Up another 3 places to 60 in the Rolex world rankings.

9th highest European.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Leona on fire this morning, -5 after 8, currently tied 11th. If she keeps this up she could end up top five.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Needs to save this kind of form for Tokyo (or bring it with her)!

-8 for the round after 16, up to tied 5th. Sealing her Solheim cup place as if it was any doubt.

Another birdie on 17th, even a par 5 finish would be a 62!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭Xander10

A brilliant 61 !!

61 in last round of a major, cool as ice Leona.

Equalled lpga major history. Another significant milestone in what has been a simply stunning season thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,510 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The confidence she'll take from that will be huge. I feel her first LPGA win is not too far away.

• Advertisement

She was 16 shots behind the leader this morning, now the gap is 2! Can't win obviously, but top 5 still well on.

10 under is a great round of golf, fair play to her.

Finished tied 6th, almost $125k in prize money.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,039 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Fair dues, super round, one to savour at top comp and big field, confidence growing and growing

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Scrabbel

Looking good for rising into World Top 50 whenever they publish them today.

Up to 11th in Race to CME Globe.

Next 6 or so weeks gonna be somethin - Olympics, Scottish Open, Open, Solheim Cup.

A tough stretch and a fair bit of travelling, but she's got to be feeling pretty good. Don't think i am jumping the gun in terms of SC. If she's not on that team, my undying love for Scotland will be seriously tested ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

She must be nailed on for Solheim cup now. She’s the leading European on the LPGA and in fine current form.

So many Europeans in pretty ropey form this year, it would be astonishing if the one in terrific form wasn't picked. And keep her current momentum going, wouldn't rule out automatic selection yet. Just to remove the 0.1% of doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Up to number 50 in the world rankings, 6th ranked European in terms of the rankings.

Advertisement