Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leona Maguire - LPGA/LET Winner

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Tour woods with fek all grooves are not pretty in the wet and it was wet and windy yesterday

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

THis was very evident on 17 yesterday with Ko hitting an 8 iron and Leona playing some sort of hybrid/wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

Jumps 9 places to a new high of 11th in the world rankings. Also the highest ranked European once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I was very surprised how far Ko was hitting it, she is built like a stick. Seems to be quite tall though and has a great swing.

It's relative to Leona, Leona is not a big hitter and you can see on the tee she almost loses her balance with the effort she is putting in, furthermore with her use of woods.

Ko's striking is superb, a different league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Another good week for Leona with a 4th place finish on the final weeks tournament in LET in Spain.

I think I heard the commentator saying only two bogys the entire week.

Very solid golf. She's a bit good!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Mac_Lad71

Another solid week from Leona with a top 5.

She gets the most out of her game with her excellent short game and putting and her never say die spirit.

The only flaw in her game is that she's quite a short hitter in comparison to most of the other elite female pros.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Watched a good bit of the weekend and have watched a lot of Leona in the past but the distance really stood out this weekend for some reason... Maybe because seeing her hitting much more club is almost expected on the LGPA, whereas I mightn't have expected to see it highlighted as much on the European Tour. Maybe it was the Spanish amateur teenager (who was excellent) who played with Leona on Saturday that really emphasised it.

Has she added more hybrids to her bag recently I wonder? She hit a 6 hybrid in the 158 yard par 3 18th yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not sure, would never have taken too much notice outside of just expecting to see her hitting hybrids when others on the LPGA had irons tbh. But the commentators did mention the 6 hybrid on 18 yesterday and it jumped out at me. At 158 yards, I wasn't expecting to see a hybrid on what was a fairly short par 3.

Maybe she just prefers hitting the hybrids, I'm sure she could be getting a 6i or 7i there if she wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭boardise

On the par 5s -Hedwall -13 , Grant -13, Maguire -8.

Those hybrids will not push the water away from the ball in wet conditions compared to irons, this is what catches her (when it's wet)

I am fairly sure that she replaced her 6 iron with a 6 hybrid at the start of the season. 7-iron is now the longest iron in her bag

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

You could see it off the tee when she was against Lydia ko, she was significantly shorter off the tee when both were using their driver. Not that she was lacking for her approch play on par 4s, but it made a difference on par 5

• Registered Users Posts: 38,275 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I believe she started working on distance before the start of last season but it left her in a bad place so she stopped it and got back near her best eventually. I'm sure she'll try again shortly but if it's affecting her game badly I doubt she'll continue with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Love watching her play but a smile would crack her face.

Comes across a bit dour.Probably isnt but still.

Leona smiles in interviews, on the course she has a job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭willabur

What a load of bollocks. She's a serious operator, why do you need her to smile. Her scorecards do the talking

MOD EDITED IN TOTALITY

Post edited by slave1 on

MOD EDIT, if you have a concern please use the Flag button, no backseat modding, tks

Post edited by slave1 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I mean that really got out of hand fast.

It's Christmas, be nice

I was being nice😁😁

A good recovery from Maguire in the first major of the season.

She was +5 through 29 holes but 4 birdies in the final 7 holes is good enough to make the cut

It's a tough course, even those near the top of the leaderboard are being made look poor at times.

Fantastic back nine from Leona. Hopefully she can kick on tomorrow and put herself in contention.

Finished T23, $50k

Leona into the semi-finals of the matchplay. She plays Ayaka Furue from Japan. It won't be easy but Leona has been pretty dominant to this point.

The other semi-final sees Linn Grant from Sweden play Pajaree Anannarukarn from Thailand. Grant has been excellent to this point but I think it'll be a close one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Leona has some metaphorical cajones and she shows that in matchplay!!

Its a pity she is so far back off the tee....wonder does she need do a Matt Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Scrabbel

Well set up for a good run at this Meijer Championship again. Hopefully she can keep the momentum up after a great finish yesterday

• Advertisement

Not a great day for her but she's normally good in the final round and she's only two back.

Advertisement