Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visit to landfill [dumpster diving]

Options
  • 23-04-2015 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi folks, I want to know if its possible to visit any dump or landfill in Galway to take items?

Any body know?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

Barna waste out the headford road take almost anything

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Barna Recycling, Carrowbrowne, Headford Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

Sorry I should specify as in can I take stuff from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Dumpster diving?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭grosser

Basically. Looking for parts etc for building projects and figure the dump could have things that could be recycled effectively

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I would guess it's not possible as if you injure yourself climbing around stuff they might be liable for it.
    Best ring and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Marchef

grosser wrote: »
    Hi folks, I want to know if its possible to visit any dump or landfill in Galway to take items?

Any body know?

City bin in Oranmore have a depot.
    You can drop off almost anything and pay by weight.
    It's in beside galway metal and charges are reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 15 mm123

You can drop stuff off but you can't take things health and safety regulations prohibit that

• Registered Users Posts: 24,613 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

You usually aren't for H&S reasons.

Some materials have a value for the company running the landfill or transfer station so they would be loath to give it away anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

They weigh your van / trailer going in and again going out and you pay based on the weight difference.

It would be some craic to drive in with an empty trailer, load up, and then ask them from money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

biko wrote: »
    I would guess it's not possible as if you injure yourself climbing around stuff they might be liable for it.
    Best ring and ask.

I'd say it's not possible because their business model involves selling off anything that can be recycled - not giving it away for free.

Sorry OP, but TNSTAAFL any more.

You might get some luck from something like Freecycle (google it) if people are posting that they have stuff to get rid of - you would be going to their place to pick up, not a landfill.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

No active landfills in Galway anymore.
    Have a look at adverts.ie. You might pick up some free stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,912 ✭✭✭✭Eeden

There are also websites like freecycle and jumbletown to offload or get free stuff.

Advertisement