Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog gone off food

• 23-04-2015 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

My 18 mth old lab is off his food. He only gets the dry stuff and has been on Gain for a few months now. Around a week ago, we ran out, so we got a small bag of something from Adli to see us through until the next day when the usual pet shop was open. He only nibbled at it. When we got the big bag of the regular stuff, we mixed the small bag of Aldi food with it rather than waste it. No go, I'm afraid.

It's at the stage where we got a new bag of his previous favourite, Supadog, but he still won't eat it until a few hours after it is put out for him and even then he won't finish it. If we have scraps from the table or his biscuit treats, he will gobble them down as usual. He is as lively, bouncy and poopy as he has always been but I'm a bit concerned

Any ideas

Mod note: thread split away from old thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My 18 mth old lab is off his food. He only gets the dry stuff and has been on Gain for a few months now. Around a week ago, we ran out, so we got a small bag of something from Adli to see us through until the next day when the usual pet shop was open. He only nibbled at it. When we got the big bag of the regular stuff, we mixed the small bag of Aldi food with it rather than waste it. No go, I'm afraid.

It's at the stage where we got a new bag of his previous favourite, Supadog, but he still won't eat it until a few hours after it is put out for him and even then he won't finish it. If we have scraps from the table or his biscuit treats, he will gobble them down as usual. He is as lively, bouncy and poopy as he has always been but I'm a bit concerned

Any ideas

Have you tried giving him gain without the aldi stuff mixed in since that what he was eating before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

tk123 wrote: »
    Have you tried giving him gain without the aldi stuff mixed in since that what he was eating before?

Yeah, I separated out a batch and gave it to him, but not much interest. Perhaps the Aldi stuff contaminated it with a smell he doesn't like. That's why we got him a bag of the stuff he ate from a puppy to around 14 mths.

Like I say, he is showing no ill effects to being off his food, but like all dogs, he used to gobble the stuff down when I put it out. If I was to give him a slice of ham now, he would hoover it down without touching his lips.

Perhaps he is just becoming a fussy eater. I won't give in to that but I just want to be sure it is not a medical problem before I take a stance with him

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,337 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Yeah, I separated out a batch and gave it to him, but not much interest. Perhaps the Aldi stuff contaminated it with a smell he doesn't like. That's why we got him a bag of the stuff he ate from a puppy to around 14 mths.

Like I say, he is showing no ill effects to being off his food, but like all dogs, he used to gobble the stuff down when I put it out. If I was to give him a slice of ham now, he would hoover it down without touching his lips.

Perhaps he is just becoming a fussy eater. I won't give in to that but I just want to be sure it is not a medical problem before I take a stance with him
    Well I'd throw away the bag of Supa; it's ~70 to 80% wheat...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Nody wrote: »
    Well I'd throw away the bag of Supa; it's ~70 to 80% wheat...

+ 1 on what Nody says above.. its pretty poor quality dog food.

have you thought about moving him over to grain free?

Perhaps he is telling us we're not giving him the right food :(

We went by the recommendation of the independent pet shop owner we use, he was great to us about other stuff. Time to do some research

Any suggestions for feeding an 18 mth old, ball chasing, choc lab mix???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Perhaps he is telling us we're not giving him the right food :(

We went by the recommendation of the independent pet shop owner we use, he was great to us about other stuff. Time to do some research

Any suggestions for feeding an 18 mth old, ball chasing, choc lab mix???

Don’t worry OP we all go through phases of feeding the wrong food to our dogs…

it’s all a learning curve!! The joys of owning a pouch!!

I feed my guy Taste of the wild… its grain free, really good quality. It may seem expensive but with higher quality food you feed a lesser portion which means the food lasts longer.

Here what I get my guy:

http://www.zooplus.ie/shop/dogs/dry_dog_food/taste_of_the_wild/231924

I order online and its delivered pretty quickly!

To be honest OP I wouldn’t trust the opinion most of the pet stores, if they are selling the food of course they will recommend…

Lots of posters here can recommended good quality food

I also add some salmon oil each day, great for the joints and coat and he loves the taste too….

I get this also form the above website.

My good lady is after reminding me that this development coincides with her sneaking a worm tablet in to his food. To say he hates those yokes is an understatement.

Advertisement