Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My PC has had a few issues over the last few months and I'd like advice

Options
  • 24-04-2015 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Basically my PC's PSU broke 5 times over the last year and it has blue screened a few times over the last 3 years of me having it but I would like advice on this, currently my PC will freeze on whatever I have on and I will hear a buzzing, I have to press and hold the power button to turn on my PC and stop the noise but when I turn it back on my PC will stay at the Windows logo for a bit and bluescreen then it turn off and I get to preform a system repair which doesn't always work and if it down I can get onto my PC for a few hours or maybe a few weeks but it will happen again.

Am I right in saying that this means that My hard Drive is faulty and needs to be replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Stop getting ****ty PSUs is the first thought that comes to mind, but of course I don't know what you're buying so its a bit over zealous.

Sounds like a hard drive to me, have to tried removing and reinstalling different pieces if hardware to try and isolate the issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Swampfire

The thing is the first 3 times my PSU died they were from me sending into a repair guy who I refuse to go to anymore, I got my money back off him :) I haven't tried removing and reinstalling the parts as this is my first custom built PC and I'm still very new to playing with it, for example when I got 3 ram cards it took me 30 mins to put them in, I was too afriad to just jam them into the motherboard I was pushing very softly not to mention I needed to look up a youtube video on how to put ram into a PC :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Sounds like you haven't a clue what you're doing. Bring it into a reputable shop and let them diagnose the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

We've all been there, I tried to install a case fan with the screws sticking outwards in my first build :D

Have you a friend who could load you a HDD, or another PC or Laptop to test it? Probably the best course of action before you spend any more money

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Switch the PC off, and check what make, model, and how much watts your PSU is.

Before you turn it back on, look at the CPU, and see if there are any wires near the CPU cooler. I have found many buzzing noises coming from wires being hit by fans.

Turn it back on, tap F8, and see can you boot into "Safe Mode with networking". If you do, then get CPUz from http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.72-en.exe

Install it, run it, and tell us the make and model of your motherboard, your CPU, and RAM. There may be something obvious.
    Swampfire wrote: »
    the first 3 times my PSU died they were
    Who are "they"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

is it windows '98 ?

RossieMan wrote: »
    Sounds like you haven't a clue what you're doing. Bring it into a reputable shop and let them diagnose the problem.

The last place I brought it into said its probably the HDD seeing as it fails to load Windows and as for the freezing and blue screening that my PC does that is down to the HDD being failty

We've all been there, I tried to install a case fan with the screws sticking outwards in my first build :D

Have you a friend who could load you a HDD, or another PC or Laptop to test it? Probably the best course of action before you spend any more money

I don't have anyone that could do that, I have a buddy who has a custom PC but he is even more clueless about part then I am

the_syco wrote: »
    Switch the PC off, and check what make, model, and how much watts your PSU is.

Before you turn it back on, look at the CPU, and see if there are any wires near the CPU cooler. I have found many buzzing noises coming from wires being hit by fans.

Install it, run it, and tell us the make and model of your motherboard, your CPU, and RAM. There may be something obvious.

Who are "they"?

It was in movie drome in limerick

RossieMan wrote: »

The last repair guy I took it too who seems like a decent guy, he drove to my house and picked up my PC a few times and too it away for a day to two to run some tests and repair parts and he didn't charge me for it :) he said the next thing I could do it replace the HDD as the blue screens and freezing and the failing to load windows on start up is all got to do with the HDD so to me its easier to put it in myself then pay for someone to put it in for me. I was just checking here to get another opinion on what is happening to my PC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Swampfire wrote: »
    I don't have anyone that could do that, I have a buddy who has a custom PC but he is even more clueless about part then I am

Check to make sure the fans inside your PC are not clogged with dust. Overheating could be an issue. If clear make sure all are spinning up and blowing/sucking air.

Disconnect the sata lead to your HD, turn on the system and hold down DEL to boot in your PC's bios. Leave this alone but keep turned on to see if the buzzing kicks in or PSU starts to act up.

What make of power supply do you have?

Advertisement