Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've seen the light.

Options
  • 24-04-2015 2:53am

I never thought the day would come that I replaced all my incandescents.

This is the closest I've ever seen an LED get to a tungsten filament halogen bulb the difference is negligible.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9byv_ZNtxYlizRPA4AT4C_SsMOjcgp8DF1dMUbqzzV1Qzziqg

Most LEDs I've found previously are horrible, depressing, stark and cold despite claiming warm white, these have very pretty light.

12V, 4W colour temperature 2700°K.

The 10W versions are just as pretty but there's a built in axial fan that's audible if you are sensitive to these things.

I've also swapped out my old 3W close-enough-to-tungsten-to-not-upset-me-too-much-models.

If my transformers don't like them or I pop them with 15V I'll update. No news is good news.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭moodrater

Interesting still says CRI 80 though are they just covering their asses and its better than that?

I was tempted by these yesterday - CRI 90, dimmable, massive reduction - they are ugly though, a bit C3PO.
    http://www.leds.de/en/LED-lamps-oxid/Samsung-LED-Spot-MR16-GU5-3-7W-warm-white-dimmable-40.html

tehehe I knew you'd say that.

CRI doesn't actually correspond to LED as well as implied. I can't find an R9 value for them.

They're the genuine article alright, if anything they're warmer than tungsten.
    I tried to photograph the difference but couldn't get my cheapo phone camera to not automatically white balance.

No idea about the Samsung jobbies haven't seen them myself. The Philips I put beside a dichrioc and was very impressed.

CRI isn't great but you can really see the difference in the ikea cri 80 vs 87 bulbs.
    If you have android phone i think open camera which is free allows you to set the white balance.
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.opencamera

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭corkbuoy

Hi Sir Liamalot, Do you have a link to where these can be bought please ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I'm surprised it was something you have left til now, seeing as you're so obsessed with the batteries and the charging of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭niloc1951

Says 12vAC and compatible with the broadest possible range of standard 12VAC Halogen electronic transformers in the tech blurb.
    Will they work directly of DC current ?

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    I'm surprised it was something you have left til now, seeing as you're so obsessed with the batteries and the charging of?

It's not for want of trying Aidan, I'm also obsessed with the quality of light. wink.png

niloc1951 wrote: »
    Will they work directly of DC current ?

Yup they're only AC because people kept bringing them back as faulty because they didn't understand that it's a diode and polarity sensitive. :rolleyes: Also AC transformers are cheaper and more efficient.

They'll actually work better on DC because there's no power factor issues, harmonics and it's a square wave so on is on.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Flood

incandescents are a thing of the past.

I'm using them in the day off solar power. :pac:
    They're electric skylights. :cool:

I haven't tested the theory myself so it may be incorrect.

The 10W dimmable LED I posted earlier works fine on constant 12VDC. It is dimmable by voltage variation on the primary side (input). This is most likely only suitable for an AC dimmable transformer from a mains/inverter source.

The interesting dimmer I posted is a low voltage dimmer. I don't think it's suitable for the AC dimmable LED.

The interesting bit is it'll probably dim the non-dimmable version 4W LED from the secondary side (output) of a DC transformer and direct from batteries, or both with priority to hook-up on the same switch.
    Because it's PWM it should be able to dim most non-dimmable LEDs.

It's also fully potted so it may do it quietly too.

Because it's PWM it should be able to dim most non-dimmable LEDs.

Crappy voltage dropper ones maybe but my guess is anything non dimmable with a proper regulator will either turn off or pop as the duty cycle goes up to compensate.

Actually you might be onto something looking at the ti and nxp catalogues they don't make a non-dimmable 12v driver.

I use these for strip-lights.

px24500-rj45-interface-dmx-512-decoder-can.jpg

With a DMX 6 channel manual desk.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCDk5HXB9Z6FS86csr9zAps8hr3Ux1q7WFrJX3Ng87Rx2poEgJnA

I use these for strip-lights.

px24500-rj45-interface-dmx-512-decoder-can.jpg

With a DMX 6 channel manual desk.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTCDk5HXB9Z6FS86csr9zAps8hr3Ux1q7WFrJX3Ng87Rx2poEgJnA

That's a mighty big toolbox you got there partner:-D

The 10W AC dimmable bulb works fine on a DC PWM dimmer, it drops out below 10% duty cycle with noticeable flicker.

The non-dimmable 4W is non-dimmable >10% duty cycle is fully on, <10% is flicker

I haven't seen these myself first hand but they look interesting.

moodrater wrote: »
    anything non dimmable with a proper regulator will either turn off or pop as the duty cycle goes up to compensate.

Stoopid regulators...can't make a 48V string outtov 4 in series anymore. :( (I may retry the test with 4 similar leds next time, 4 oddballs weren't having it.)

I haven't seen these myself first hand but they look interesting.

Stoopid regulators...can't make a 48V string outtov 4 in series anymore. :( (I may retry the test with 4 similar leds next time, 4 oddballs weren't having it.)

Nice to see them coming down in price I'd be interested to see a real spectum the specographs I can see on their site are mode graphic design than science.

Free Sample M. (as many as you want apparently..see the quantity box on the request page)

• Advertisement
Advertisement