Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicinal marijuana in Vancouver

Options
  • 24-04-2015 4:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭

11 years ago, Time magazine published a story on marijuana in Vancouver.

In it, they wrote that
    At the popular New Amsterdam Cafe in downtown Vancouver, customers openly smoke marijuana. "People come with pot. We are a business, though, so we have a $2 minimum cafe charge [for snacks and drinks]," says cafe manager Scott Heardy. Inspector David Nelmes, who is in charge of drugs for the Vancouver police department, tells TIME, "I can't remember the last time a member of the Vancouver police department arrested someone for smoking a joint. Frankly, who's got time?"

It seems marijuana has become even more tolerated since then.

Has anyone who's been to Vancouver tried medical marijuana?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

11 years ago, Time magazine published a story on marijuana in Vancouver.

In it, they wrote that

It seems marijuana has become even more tolerated since then.

Has anyone who's been to Vancouver tried medical marijuana?

Indeed, I can have up to 72grams on me now. The bud is great obviously but they smoke concentrates more than bud here. Well its popular, shatter, budder, oil etc.

On a side note the cops 'tolerate' much more than MJ. I've seen 6 cops walk past 3 different guys shooting up on one block. Granted there aren't many streets like E Hastings St in the world but just google the DTES Vancouver for the real scoop IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

LucidLife wrote: »
    Indeed, I can have up to 72grams on me now.

So you live there? Did you have to obtain and medical certificate?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

Things changed in March 2015, but either way you must get it prescribed by a doctor.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/access-acceder-eng.php

Prior to this, one could get a license to grow themselves or have someone else grow for them.

Since the changes this year, you must obtain it from licensed producers only.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/list-eng.php

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Just pop across the border to Washington State where its completely 100% legal.

I wonder how much Washington state weed is finding its way into British Columbia?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Things changed in March 2015, but either way you must get it prescribed by a doctor.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/access-acceder-eng.php

Prior to this, one could get a license to grow themselves or have someone else grow for them.

Since the changes this year, you must obtain it from licensed producers only.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/info/list-eng.php

That's not quite how it works in Vancouver at the moment - there are dispensaries in the city (in fact there are more dispensaries than Tim Hortons in the downtown areas) that you can buy it from.

You do need a prescription even to buy from the shops.

The whole thing seems fairly relaxed. There is talk of the city trying to clamp down on the number and location of the dispensaries (quite a few of them are located near schools etc..) but the federal government are not too impressed by this.

Kinds of sums up what's going on:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/dispensary-changes-in-vancouver-will-open-cannabis-can-of-worms/article24124222/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

That's not quite how it works in Vancouver at the moment - there are dispensaries in the city (in fact there are more dispensaries than Tim Hortons in the downtown areas) that you can buy it from.

You do need a prescription even to buy from the shops.

The whole thing seems fairly relaxed. There is talk of the city trying to clamp down on the number and location of the dispensaries (quite a few of them are located near schools etc..) but the federal government are not too impressed by this.

Kinds of sums up what's going on:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/dispensary-changes-in-vancouver-will-open-cannabis-can-of-worms/article24124222/

I believe that those dispensaries, kinda like the cafés in the Netherlands are working in a legal grey-area. If they were to adhere to Federal law, they should be using licenses obtained from patients who have been prescribed and really should only be supplying those.

Anyone who gets a license after the changes last year are supposed to get their medicine from the licensed and approved by Health Canada providers only.

It will be interesting to see how the city v federal battle pans out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

It will be interesting to see how the city v federal battle pans out.

What role does the provincial government have in the relaxation of the laws in Vancouver?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

InTheTrees wrote: »
    What role does the provincial government have in the relaxation of the laws in Vancouver?

Basically the VPD turn a blind eye to it. They used to have naturopaths onsite who would prescribe it for you but the Canadian Association of Naturopaths (or something like that) have stopped them doing this. You dont need medical stuff its widely available when you get to know locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭LucidLife

There are a few kinds of dispensaries in Van.

The most legit require more of a process to get your bud but the least legit you just need to know the location and you can walk in buy what you like. There are an incredible amount of them in Van with more opening constantly.

Vancouver is home to some serious crime. It has the poorest area code in the country. The cops are up there as most violent.

Yes I saw a doctor (via Skype). No, I live in BC just not in Vancouver, the Okanagan

Advertisement