Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Log off - Log Out - Go Run

• 24-04-2015 8:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭

Never done one of these before so here goes. The only reason for this log is self motivation - If i log it i need to do it..... Write it down it becomes real.

I want to tone up and lose a little of the belly i have. 5'7 around 11.5st so not overweight or anything close but i just want to make sure that post 40 I do not get on the slippery slope of gaining weight over time and start looking like a sack of spuds tied in the middle.

So I started back running last week. Used to bike and run a three years ago but youngest was very ill so put everything into him. Now he is doing ok I am back running again. Bloody tough getting into it.

Run 1 - (15/4 Wed morning) - Dublin Canal and back to Grantham Street
    4.3km Distance
    26:20 Moving Time
    6:01/km Pace

Run 2 16/4- Legs felt sore the day after but went on a shorter run the evening after (Thurs Evening):
    2.8km Distance
    17:22 Moving Time
    6:10/km Pace

Run 3 20/04 - Rest for the weekend and back out on Monday Morning - Legs no where near as heavy
    4.4km Distance
    25:07 Moving Time
    5:35/km Pace

Run 4 22/04 - Felt great and went again this morning ;
    4.6km Distance
    26:21 Moving Time
    5:40/km Pace

Run 5 24/04 - Better route plan and hit my 5Km goal in 27.52 mins - ran about 1.5km with a stitch though so just controlled the breathing and ran through it but it did affect the pace a little.
    5.0km Distance
    27:52 Moving Time
    5:33/km Pace

Pace is getting better - but really getting into it now.

Goals;
    Goal 15km - currently 4.7km - i think there is a difference between mapmyrun and strava as MMR route was 5km but Strava clocked me at 4.7km - Anyone find this? 24th April Goal Achieved
    Goal 2 - Sub 26min 5km (mid may)
    Goal 3 - Sub 25min 5k (end May)-
    Goal 4 - Sub 23min 5k (end June) - tough pace but think i can manage it
    =< 4.45 for a 1k split

Longer term
    Build to a 7.5k
    onto 10k
    No time frame on above yet.

Feedback on the above most welcome and I am running on Mon - Wed - Fri morning 7am if anyone is around town

Strava link https://www.strava.com/athletes/121538
    OR
    I am on the Nike+ site but unsure how to share this profile to join friends and routes etc... PM if you want to link up on Nike+

In any case hope to see some fellow runners on the street and will post updates on goals to keep me honest.

Cheers ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Best of luck with the log and your running. Love the title !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Run 6 - 27/04
    5.0km Distance
    26:07 Moving Time
    5:24/km Pace

Very happy with results so far. Runs getting easier but legs were a little heavy again... also stitch came back for a while... need to learn how to not get one????

Hoping Run 7 is a Sub 26 min 5km goal cracked ;-)

5km Pace Breakdown
    1km 5:12
    2km 5:21
    3km 5:35
    4km 5:34
    5km 5:18

Until i can get a decent running GPS watch these splits are taken from my iphone 6 using Strava so unsure on the delta if any between the two......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭RonanP77

BrookieD wrote:
    Very happy with results so far. Runs getting easier but legs were a little heavy again... also stitch came back for a while... need to learn how to not get one????

Do a little warmup before running, make sure your breathing is right and you're not gasping for air and you should stop getting them. I've been told that a bit of core work can help too.

core work is something i was looking at, might look at a couple of simple programs.

Cheers

Run 7 - 29/04 - Tough enough this morning with a slight headwind going around some office blocks. Wind was also bloody cold this morning and made a conscious effort to run without a jacket as the sun was out and quite warm in places. Slight stitch again but got a mighty close to a 26min 5km time. Strava states 27:39 but on inspection GPS dropped for two section of around 1:40 in total

4.9km Distance
    27:39 Moving Time
    5:35/km Pace

1km 5:46
    2km 5:20
    3km 5:31
    4km 5:45
    5km 5:30

making progress i think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Hi Brookie. Nice going. One thing I'd recommend (and this is something that comes up a lot) is that you stop "racing" your training runs. Do a couple of parkruns to get your 5k race time, then plug that time into McMillan.com and it will give you suggested training paces for easy, slow, tempo etc. runs. In general, most of your runs should be at easy pace, with a longer, slower one and a faster structured session (look elsewhere on this site for suggested sessions). Best of luck with the goals.

Murph_D - thanks for the advice. looking for a couple of 5km parkruns shortly so will input to McMillan.com and see what i come up with...

Cheers
    Darren

Run 8 - 01/05/15
    Felt brilliant today - breathing getting better, legs were good and i could feel my splits were good. Made it around with only a brief pause for traffic on corner of baggot st and stephens green.

5km Distance
    26:05 Moving Time
    5:14/km Pace

1km 5:10
    2km 5:12
    3km 5:07
    4km 5:21
    5km 5:22

Heading to Achill Island tonight and will have a 3 km run (maybe 5) around Keel with Mrs B - 5km Run monday Keel Beach me thinks.

Anyone know of sunday park runs around north dublin, Ashbourne area...? all seem to be Sat morning which i cannot make - pain in the rocks

BrookieD wrote:
    Anyone know of sunday park runs around north dublin, Ashbourne area...? all seem to be Sat morning which i cannot make - pain in the rocks

I thought all Parkruns were on Saturdays, I didn't think there were Sunday ones anywhere.

• Advertisement

RonanP77 wrote: »
    I thought all Parkruns were on Saturdays, I didn't think there were Sunday ones anywhere.

Ohh crap..... need to find a race somewhere in June/july

cheers

This thread might be of assistance.

Run - 9 03/05 - Run out on Achill Island today - change of route - weather muck with strong headwind of first 2.5km - happy enough with time as included elevations not run before.

5kmDistance
    27:15 Moving Time
    5:36/km Pace

1km 5:06
    2km 5:22
    3km 5:42
    4km 5:54
    5km 5:12

Run - 10 06/05 - slow run after weekend - tried for a quicker time and adjusting pace but just could not pick it up... was disappointed at this time and slower pace...
    5km Distance
    27:39 Moving Time
    5:32/km Pace

1km 5:23
    2km 5:35
    3km 5:37
    4km 5:48
    5km 5:19

Run - 11 08/05 - Smashed my PB :D:D:D - Slight change to my stride pattern and trying to breath in via nose and out via mouth. feel bloody great today - only downside being i would have hit a 23:xx but for traffic at the end of the run. Over the bloody moon :P:P:D:D

5km Distance
    24:23 Moving Time
    4:59 Pace

1km 5:01
    2km 4:53
    3km 5:07
    4km 4:56
    5km 4:59

UPDATE on Goals

Goal 15km run three times a week - currently 4.7km - i think there is a difference between mapmyrun and strava as MMR route was 5km but Strava clocked me at 4.7km - Anyone find this? 24th April Goal Achieved
    Goal 2 - Sub 26min 5km (mid may) Nailed it
    Goal 3 - Sub 25min 5k (end May)- Bazinga
    Goal 4 - Sub 23min 5k (end June) - tough pace but think i can manage it
    =< 4.45 for a 1k split

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

You still seem to be racing all your training sessions. Have you put any thought into following a plan and varying your paces, doing most of your runs at an easy pace with a longer run at the weekend?

Any races/parkruns planned?

Yeah i was looking at the plans and had a couple of easy runs out in Achill last weekend - so was going for 2 easy runs and a hard run end of week. going to try and set up a longer run in Ashbourne weekend evening time but time dependant.

cannot race weekends at the moment due to time. Wife works weekends and kids playing football are knocking any parkruns on the head until the summer kicks in. So really limited to solo running at the moment.

adrian522 wrote:
    You still seem to be racing all your training sessions. Have you put any thought into following a plan and varying your paces, doing most of your runs at an easy pace with a longer run at the weekend?

This is good advice, you seem to be falling into the same trap I did when I started out last year. I tried for a PB evert time I trained. It might sound odd but I became faster in races by slowing down and increasing distances in training. You should never go flat out or try for a PB in training.

Well done on your progress so far and hopefully you reach all your goals. Train smart and should have no problems.

This is good advice, you seem to be falling into the same trap I did when I started out last year. I tried for a PB evert time I trained. It might sound odd but I became faster in races by slowing down and increasing distances in training. You should never go flat out or try for a PB in training.

Well done on your progress so far and hopefully you reach all your goals. Train smart and should have no problems.

thanks for the feedback - My approach at the moment was to get used to the pace and distance. and then increased distance to 7.5km when i am at a sustained level. so 24:xx should be sustained for a few weeks. and ad 2.5km into the mix once a week.

With not having a race to plan for its just running to be fit without any other real goal...

BrookieD wrote:
    thanks for the feedback - My approach at the moment was to get used to the pace and distance. and then increased distance to 7.5km when i am at a sustained level. so 24:xx should be sustained for a few weeks. and ad 2.5km into the mix once a week.

Don't just make one of your runs 7.5k in one go though, that's a big jump. When you decide you're used to your current distance and which day is going to be your long run then start increasing the distance on it by about 10% per week.

Don't just make one of your runs 7.5k in one go though, that's a big jump. When you decide you're used to your current distance and which day is going to be your long run then start increasing the distance on it by about 10% per week.

Thanks - would not have jumped in at the deep end. Would you say increase 10% weekly to 7.5km?

BrookieD wrote:
    Thanks - would not have jumped in at the deep end. Would you say increase 10% weekly to 7.5km?

I'm no expert now, I've only been running since February last year and I spent the entire winter injured. I'm basing all this on what others have told me and advice I wish I had taken.

I built up to 6.5k and kept it there for a while then up to 8k for a bit before working my way up to 10k. It probably took me 6 or 8 weeks to go from comfortable at 5k to running 10k for the first time and that was too fast. I don't see why you shouldn't build up to 7.5k and settle there for a while.

• Advertisement

Ok so another few 5km with times inside the 24:2x mark - delighted and found a pace that is sitting well, wednesday was a surprise as i thought i took things reall hand and came in a shade over the 24:00 mark PB for the route. Really thought i was a lot slower for some reason so decided to now add some distance and reduce pace as per advice from above.

Today was my conscious first pace reduction with distance increase effort - I added a lap of Stephens Green into the mix to increase to 6.2km approx - will hold it there once a week for a few weeks and then increase to 7km-8km until i hit 10km.....

Feel great even at the extra distance this morning so must be getting used to to it now...

Have 3 weeks to think about DCM - no training partner is a big factor for me, will be looking at plans to see one that suits and see if anyone is free to training and keep me going..... i know i will need a kick in the hole every now and again.

Moring all, Well following on from the good advice from above I have slowed the pace a little and upped the distance. Friday last up to 6.1 and today just under 8kn in 45mins.

Felt really good on the run today so decided to throw in an extra lap of Stephens Green to see how i got on. Hope to push on up to 10km for mid June. think i have not got the 5km times under control and so not pushing as hard.

thanks and keep on running

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

You seem to be increasing the distance fairly quickly. What kind of distances have you previously ran, and how long did you lay up from running?

was running about 5km about three yeas ago.... mostly though i did the distance on a bike. 3 years off running and biking, I wont be going above 8km in next three weeks. i might hover in between 5km and 8km but really making my mind up on how i feel in the run. Today i felt 5km was fine at a slower pace, then decided to add a lap of Stephens green as i felt ok. Then i felt I could go another lap of stephens green. not planned just felt i had it in me and felt great afterwards.

So at the moment
    Mon - 5km
    Wed - 5km progrees to 7 or 8 depending on how i feel
    Friday - min 6km but could rise to 8 again on how i feel.

Not much of a plan but a real amature at this but after being running for 6 weeks i feel good, losing weight and toning up nicely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭chabsey

Murph_D wrote: »
    Hi Brookie. Nice going. One thing I'd recommend (and this is something that comes up a lot) is that you stop "racing" your training runs. Do a couple of parkruns to get your 5k race time, then plug that time into McMillan.com ....

For anyone else like me, reading this wondering how an advertising agency could help with running times, this is the URL

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

Oops, apologies! That's the one alright.:o

chabsey wrote: »
    For anyone else like me, reading this wondering how an advertising agency could help with running times, this is the URL

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/

i managed to figure that one out with a bit of a google session... ;-)

So - my avg 5km time is resting at 5:10 or there abouts.... settled into a good but not fast pace and not racing myself.. Distance is going up with a few 8km under my belt over past few weeks and today was a shade under 9km at 46 mins. my stamina seems to be holding up well with each km i pass. Pushing into a 10km for Friday 19th june all going well....... looking for a 55min 10km time...

weight is dropping off, toning up nicely, would say dropped 3 inch from my waist since i started back

onwards and upwards

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

BrookieD wrote: »
    So - my avg 5km time is resting at 5:10 or there abouts.... settled into a good but not fast pace and not racing myself.. Distance is going up with a few 8km under my belt over past few weeks and today was a shade under 9km at 46 mins. my stamina seems to be holding up well with each km i pass. Pushing into a 10km for Friday 19th june all going well....... looking for a 55min 10km time...

weight is dropping off, toning up nicely, would say dropped 3 inch from my waist since i started back

onwards and upwards

Seem like you have the endurance anyway. Maintaining 5k pace over longer distances.

• Advertisement

Seem like you have the endurance anyway. Maintaining 5k pace over longer distances.

that was a concern of mine that pushing into the 10km the times would fall off a cliff but there holding well so will hit 10km and reside here for a while mving from 5km to 10km when i want to....

still not finding any time for a park run or races at the mo, very frustrating

Advertisement