Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Short term Visa for work

Options
  • 24-04-2015 10:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi All,

My company have asked me if I could go on a two week trip to Chicago in the next month or so (yay!) for work purposes (boo!).

Basically I would travel over and spend two weeks working at a company over in the US.

I've never travelled to the US before so I have no idea what kind of documentation I will need to travel.

Can anybody advise what the best option is to travel for a short term trip, for work purposes at short notice?

Any and all advice would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Short term business trips dont need "Work Visas" although I dont know what the time limit is on short term. I expect its longer than two weeks though.

For instance, attending a trade show, on a buying trip, or attending to some short task.

Hopefully someone on here can clarify.

You can always call the US Embassy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

tomboy42 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My company have asked me if I could go on a two week trip to Chicago in the next month or so (yay!) for work purposes (boo!).

Basically I would travel over and spend two weeks working at a company over in the US.

I've never travelled to the US before so I have no idea what kind of documentation I will need to travel.

Can anybody advise what the best option is to travel for a short term trip, for work purposes at short notice?

Any and all advice would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Tom

The visa waiver is fine, you are good to be in the U.S. for upto 3 months for business purposes as long as your funding ( ie expenses and salary) are paid from Europe. We have people over all the time from Spain and Switzerland on the visa waiver for extended periods on rotations and for meetings.
    when you are at the border, they'll ask "business or pleasure". Just say business, they may ask you what you'll be doing, all you need to say is that you are meeting with colleagues from x company. Business travel between Ireland and the U.S. is very common.

To travel all you'll need is passport and fill out the ESTA in advance. Here is the link to the ESTA - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

when you are at the border, they'll ask "business or pleasure". Just say business, they may ask you what you'll be doing, all you need to say is that you are meeting with colleagues from x company. Business travel between Ireland and the U.S. is very common.

Just be very careful not to say that you are there for work, as that will trigger an alarm bell for the border guard. Just say you are there for meetings and training :)

Advertisement