Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contract ended and billed again

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, we moved to a different provider for our broadband last month.  We received a letter from Eircom stating that our 30 day notice period would be complete on the 27/03/15.  Can you please explain to me why so on the 20/04 112.64 was taken from my account??  I only discovered this this morning and haven't had a chance to ring yet.  We had been waiting for a final bill and had blocked last months DD as I didn't want what has now happened to happen.  You disabled our online account the day that we switched so that we couldn't check what we owned and we never received a final bill in the post.  This is not on.  You have now left me overdrawn.  I have now cancelled the DD with the bank (I had forgotten to do this)  to ensure that you do not take any more money from me.  I would like what is owned to me back and you can rest assured if this does not happen I will be taken this further,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Tiger12 wrote: »
    Hi, we moved to a different provider for our broadband last month.  We received a letter from Eircom stating that our 30 day notice period would be complete on the 27/03/15.  Can you please explain to me why so on the 20/04 112.64 was taken from my account??  I only discovered this this morning and haven't had a chance to ring yet.  We had been waiting for a final bill and had blocked last months DD as I didn't want what has now happened to happen.  You disabled our online account the day that we switched so that we couldn't check what we owned and we never received a final bill in the post.  This is not on.  You have now left me overdrawn.  I have now cancelled the DD with the bank (I had forgotten to do this)  to ensure that you do not take any more money from me.  I would like what is owned to me back and you can rest assured if this does not happen I will be taken this further,
    Hi Tiger12

Very sorry to hear of this, could you please PM me your eircom account number and I will look in to this further?

Thanks
    Al

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You can get an immediate return from you bank under the Terms of the DD scheme .  

I am surprised that your bank did not inform you of this entitlement.

And if you have incurred extra costs as a result of this debit you should also pursue this with your bank.  The existence of a direct debit mandate does not give any company permission to do as they wish in terms of accessing bill payers' bank accounts.

Also you should have received 14 days notice of any intention to debit your account

People using the dd scheme should note these type of situations and also note that under the dd scheme rules there are no consequences for the companies using it no matter what they may do or difficulties that they may cause for the account holder.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Tiger12

Its not immediate though.  Ive printed off the form to send off and it states that it can take up to 30 days as they have to investigate.  I'm hopping it doesn't come to that and that Eircom will refund what they should not have taken.  They actually ceased providing us a service on 03rd of March so I won't be paying up to the 27/03 as per their letter.  I'm not paying for a service they were not providing and another provider was (hence paying twice).  Waiting to hear back via PM

Its not immediate though.  Ive printed off the form to send off and it states that it can take up to 30 days as they have to investigate.  I'm hopping it doesn't come to that and that Eircom will refund what they should not have taken.  They actually ceased providing us a service on 03rd of March so I won't be paying up to the 27/03 as per their letter.  I'm not paying for a service they were not providing and another provider was (hence paying twice).  Waiting to hear back via PM
    Hi Tiger12,

I have contacted  Eoin where have discussed the case in full. On your latest bill there is a credit for the 6th of March to the 31st of March - thsi is listed under "service charges" however you were also charges an early cease fee, an unpaid direct debit and a modem fee (below service charges) which I believe have been charged in error- Apologies for this.

I have waived the errinous charges and your account is now in credit of 101.47. The credit will take 24 hrs to fully complete but I can assure you it has been approved. I have advised Eoin to contact accounts on Monday and request the €101.47 refund by cheque which will be sent to your postal address.

Thanks
    Al

Hi Alan,

thanks for the quick resolution of this issue, most appreciated.  We will contact the accounts department on Monday as advised.

Have good weekend

Kind Regards

• Advertisement

Hi Alan,

thanks for the quick resolution of this issue, most appreciated.  We will contact the accounts department on Monday as advised.

Have good weekend

Kind Regards
    No Problem at all Tiger12

If there is anything else I can help with in future please let me know.

Have a good weekend too :)

Al

Your bank is wrong and really there is no excuse for them being wrong either:

http://www.bpfi.ie/customer-assist/personal-customers/sepa-direct-debit-scheme/

SEPA Consumer (Debtor) Rights
    [font=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Under the SEPA Direct Debit Core Scheme Rules and SEPA Regulation 260-2012 consumers (debtors) can:[/font]
    • Use a single account to pay a SEPA Direct Debit in any SEPA country;
    • Instruct your bank to refuse a SEPA Direct Debit;
    • Prohibit the application of any SEPA Direct Debit to your bank accounts;
    • Specify Creditors who may collect SEPA Direct Debits from your bank accounts;
    • Specify Creditors who may not collect SEPA Direct Debits from your bank accounts;
    • Limit a SEPA Direct Debit collection to a certain amount and/or period;
    • Request a refund for any SEPA Direct Debit within eight weeks from the date on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account. Within the eight week period your bank must refund you on a no-questions asked basis;
    • Request a refund for any unauthorised SEPA Direct Debit after 8 weeks and within 13 months from the date the on which the SEPA Direct Debit was debited from your account
    [*]

There is no need for a bank investigation in this case as per the bolded statement above (my emphasis).

Be careful as to which choice you opt for - the Eircom refund as mentioned above or exercising what is a legal right under the rights above.

Thanks for the above.  Thankfully I don't need to do this as Eircom are refunding what they shouldn't have taken.

Thanks for the above.  Thankfully I don't need to do this as Eircom are refunding what they shouldn't have taken.

Hi Tiger12

The amendment has been successfully made and to request the cheque please contact accounts on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al

Hi Tiger12

The amendment has been successfully made and to request the cheque please contact accounts on free phone 1901

Thanks
    Al
    Are Eircom really serious with this reply and approach to this situation?  Eircom have taken a considerable amount of money from a person's account without their permission and apparently pushed them into overdraft.  The person has now been without that money for a period of time and will continue to be - a cheque when eventually received will take at least 5 days to clear - Eircom have caused this person serious problems and you say "please contact accounts on freephone 1901"? 

Eircom should down on their hands and knees apologising for taking this person's money in the first place and arranging for a courier to get it back as quickly as possible.

I somehow doubt if Eircom would adopt the same approach in the event of someone breaking into their bank account and taking a some off money without their permission. I somehow doubt if you would accept that person's invitation to ring them?

Here is a perfect example of the awfulness of the direct debit system and the lack of any consequences for companies participating in it.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote: »

Hi Tiger12

Thanks
    Al
    Are Eircom really serious with this reply and approach to this situation?  Eircom have taken a considerable amount of money from a person's account without their permission and apparently pushed them into overdraft.  The person has now been without that money for a period of time and will continue to be - a cheque when eventually received will take at least 5 days to clear - Eircom have caused this person serious problems and you say "please contact accounts on freephone 1901"? 

Eircom should down on their hands and knees apologising for taking this person's money in the first place and arranging for a courier to get it back as quickly as possible.

I somehow doubt if Eircom would adopt the same approach in the event of someone breaking into their bank account and taking a some off money without their permission. I somehow doubt if you would accept that person's invitation to ring them?

Here is a perfect example of the awfulness of the direct debit system and the lack of any consequences for companies participating in it.
    Hi dub45

I understand your concern but a lot more of this case was discussed with the OP over a call.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement