Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB reconnection

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭

Hi everybody,
    I just bought a house that was vacant.
    I just went with the electrician and he said there is power but the line is disconnected.
    He was preparing the wiring certificate.

Now I rang ESB and they told me the electricity is disconnected for more than 2 years so I need to fill out a new application and have a quote and it can take up to 12 weeks.

Then I go reading online and I discover that the cost might be 1700 euro.

:O :O :O

but if there is power and everything??? they don't need to carry on brand new works..
    anything I can do for that?
    thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 42 simpson80

Hi there.
    I had the very same situation, everything on the website is worst case scenario.
    I had mine connected after about 3 weeks and the cost was only 79. But I would be organising the filling out of the forms etc immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Had similar situation with a house which had been built but never occupied. ESB first stated that the MPRN number was now cancelled from their system, and they advised that a completely new application would be needed. Involving providing copies of planning permission, as if it was a new build.
    In the end, a certificate from a registered electrician verifying that the installation was tested and safe, and a fee paid to ESB Networks head office in Athlone, got a new MPRN number assigned and power restored.
    Although it was a bit Kafka-ish for a while, it can be done!

The fee was less than 200 Euro, can't remember the exact amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Thanks a lot.
    I just completed the online form and called them twice to know if everything was ok.
    They told me that I should receive a notification early next week and hopefully a quote the week after.
    Scared that it might take up to 12 weeks I really hope it will be less!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Buying a house at the mo where this could be an issue for me. Is there anyway around the 1700 fee if the house hasnt been occupied in over 2 years?? Such a crippling amount of money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭slinky2000

I've a new house here but I was connected within 7 days of contacting esb. I also moved into an apartment years ago and had to get reconnected. About €100 or something it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Buying a house at the mo where this could be an issue for me. Is there anyway around the 1700 fee if the house hasnt been occupied in over 2 years?? Such a crippling amount of money

On top of that I am pretty sure that you will have to get an electrician to re-test and certify the house prior to reconnection, which will carry another cost.

In the case I was involved with, the cost was mainly for the Electrician to certify, they didn't charge anything like 1700.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In the case I was involved with, the cost was mainly for the Electrician to certify, they didn't charge anything like 1700.

Was your house unoccupied for over 2 years? Did you just get lucky or how did you go about it if you dont mind me asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 An Caislean

It looks like your Electrician is getting a power reading so I would expect that the wiring is in position and it is just a matter of the ESB re-instating a connector.

• Advertisement

Was your house unoccupied for over 2 years? Did you just get lucky or how did you go about it if you dont mind me asking.

It was a house which was never occupied from new. Developer sold about ten in a development of fifteen or so, then left the five as prices had collapsed here in cavan (60% drop) He had stopped paying the bill so was disconnected . Sat that way for two years and despite the meter still being there, the mprn on the actual meter "fell" off the ESB computer system. Got a buyer for the house and it was a case of being passed from piller to post, between ESB and ESB Networks. Each claiming that the other was responsible. I actually e ded up driving 50 miles to Networks in Athlone one Friday evening to give a cheque to them, because there was a holiday coming up and we really needed the power on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dubdad25

jsabina wrote: »
    Thanks a lot.
    I just completed the online form and called them twice to know if everything was ok.
    They told me that I should receive a notification early next week and hopefully a quote the week after.
    Scared that it might take up to 12 weeks I really hope it will be less!

Thanks!
    Hi. I am in the same situation of 12 weeks. Just wondered how long it took you to get it connected. Thanks. John

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just had my gas reconnected there in the last few weeks. Cost me €140 to get reconnected.

Advertisement