Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Nationalists

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭

Sinn Fein's endorsement of the Yes vote in the marriage equality referendum got me thinking about past nationalists and republicans who were likely gay or bisexual.
    Since it's no longer considered a negative in today's society unlike the past, how many other past republicans had question marks hanging over their sexuality apart from Roger Casement?
    I heard Pearse was rumoured to have been gay and I think Tim Pat Coogan raises the question around Michael Collin's sexuality but without conclusion.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Some sources perhaps?

I thought everything rumoured about Pearse comes just from one poem that he wrote, Little Lad of the Tricks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

A bit like De Valera being Britain's greatest supposed spy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

William F wrote: »
    A bit like De Valera being Britain's greatest supposed spy?

There must be some sources shown or mentioned for a basis to claims or repeated claims as per posts above.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

As soon as a rabid Ulster Loyalist (English born) decides to put up a post criticising one of his own lot's historical characters like I've done above, then I'd take him to my heart and we could debate such things seriously.

As it is Freddie, you've about as much credibility on here as a resurrected Lenny Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Jesus. wrote: »
    As soon as a rabid Ulster Loyalist (English born) decides to put up a post criticising one of his own lot's historical characters like I've done above, then I'd take him to my heart and we could debate such things seriously.

As it is Freddie, you've about as much credibility on here as a resurrected Lenny Murphy

you can go **** yourself for all I care. You are an immature twat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭donaghs

William F wrote: »
    Sinn Fein's endorsement of the Yes vote in the marriage equality referendum got me thinking about past nationalists and republicans who were likely gay or bisexual.
    Since it's no longer considered a negative in today's society unlike the past, how many other past republicans had question marks hanging over their sexuality apart from Roger Casement?
    I heard Pearse was rumoured to have been gay and I think Tim Pat Coogan raises the question around Michael Collin's sexuality but without conclusion.

From a statistical point of view, its inevitable there are gay people eveywhere. But, since none of these people identified as "gay", and, except Casements secret diary, there's no real proof of any of this, it alls comes down to speculation based on small fragments of info. Even the manner of Casement's "outing" by the British government, continues to cast over a shadow over the veracity of his secret diary.

Pearse certainly did seem to betray an interest in the beauty of young men and boys in more than one piece of writing. But, to use this, and the lack of any romantic interest in women to condemn him as a paedophile is simply unfair.

Most of what I've read of Collins shows him as a bit of a womaniser, and apparently lived it up in London during the Treaty negotiations. The claim of him being gay appears to come solely from David Norris, from something an elderly Republican in Dublin once told him. He first mentioned it when he was launching his book. It seems every autobiography book launch needs a "hook" to generate interest (Twink claiming she was groped by someone in RTE, Roy Keane saying he broke another players leg on purpose, Tony Cascarino not really eligible to play for Ireland, etc).

Speculation also about Eoin o'duffy, but again, very little proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

Note infractions for fred and jesus. Neither should post in this thread again.
    Moderator.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

Jesus. wrote: »
    MOD EDIT>>> If you like a post you can thank it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Interesting article from 1991 http://www.anphoblacht.com/contents/24928

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Some assumptions and lazy journalism on Pearse here recently in the Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/life/cricket-bats-and-captain-jack-white-small-stories-of-1916-31179908.html

The journalist talking about his Christian Brothers teachers (my italics): "They revered Pádraig Pearse, a teacher and strict disciplinarian after their own hearts, and believed in his doctrine of blood sacrifice, linking it to the men of 1798 and even further back to our original muscular Christian: the brave, martyred Brian Boru."

Pearse, famously was very opposed to corporal punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

"Pádraig Pearse" never called himself that as he never mixed Irish & English in his name

Patrick Pearse
    P H Pearse
    Pádraig Mac Piarais

All three used.

It doesn't realy matter so much, I've being very fussy here.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "Pádraig Pearse" never called himself that as he never mixed Irish & English in his name

Patrick Pearse
    P H Pearse
    Pádraig Mac Piarais

All three used.

It doesn't realy matter so much, I've being very fussy here.

I agree. Was only quoting the article. Its a little annoying. People sometimes insist on "Padraig Pearse" to sound a bit more nationalistic or "republican".

Advertisement