Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 jobs Portlaw

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭

Dont know the ins and outs of it, just saw headline 100 jobs for Paudie Coffeys back yard Portlaw, good news all around. Understand they are based in Waterford already (33 jobs) but plan to expand. He clearly has some influence.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

Max Powers wrote: »
    Dont know the ins and outs of it, just saw headline 100 jobs for Paudie Coffeys back yard Portlaw, good news all around. Understand they are based in Waterford already (33 jobs) but plan to expand. He clearly has some influence.

I was curious about this too. Although the jobs are to be welcomed (As Paudie says frequently), the location seems quite bizzare. Is there a Centra out there that needs lunchtime trade? Portlaw aint exactly a killer commute.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

This company just like locating on weird locations, usually in stately homes. They were located in Elysium house in ballytruckle for years

They look like the sort of company which would be influenced by vibes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

nice surroundings to work in i guess. not a bad commute for people from the city either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Junior

Any idea what these jobs are ?

This may give you some idea - its all publishing based http://www.agora-inc.com/careers

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

I had a job interview with them at the start of March. Unfortunately I didn't get the job, but apparently nobody did as I saw the position readvertised a couple of weeks ago (that somehow made it an easier pill to swallow).

Anyway it's basically a company that puts out publications for Americans looking to retire abroad, especially in Latin America, under the name "International Living". They are still at Elysium House in Ballytruckle, but planning to move out to Portlaw sometime next year (according to what I was told at the interview).

I'm not sure how the new job announcements fit in with what they do - sounds to me almost like they're going to open up a foreign language call centre unrelated to their main activity? Just a guess, anyway...

What was the position you were after?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭saintchrisburg

I don't remember the exact title, something like Online Marketing Assistant or some such. Essentially the position was to write the html code for their daily email newsletter they send out. I think they just didn't like me - didn't click - because I was otherwise qualified for the position from what I gathered.

• Advertisement

I don't remember the exact title, something like Online Marketing Assistant or some such. Essentially the position was to write the html code for their daily email newsletter they send out. I think they just didn't like me - didn't click - because I was otherwise qualified for the position from what I gathered.

ah dont knock yourself down, god only knows what the reason was but at least you tried. im less enthusiastic about these jobs now. this expansion of calls centers has to stop. i think its helping to drive down pay rates, working conditions and working skills. these kind of industries bother me greatly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    ah dont knock yourself down, god only knows what the reason was but at least you tried. im less enthusiastic about these jobs now. this expansion of calls centers has to stop. i think its helping to drive down pay rates, working conditions and working skills. these kind of industries bother me greatly

Very wise words. Call centres are bad news , basically sweat shops ran by gangsters.

Very wise words. Call centres are bad news , basically sweat shops ran by gangsters.

thank you. im deeply concerned about these kind of jobs. we really are in trouble. i understand they are jobs but....

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭rayr

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    thank you. im deeply concerned about these kind of jobs. we really are in trouble. i understand they are jobs but....

Yeah let's keep sending all " these kind of jobs" abroad because of your concern and keep our citizens on state benefits. You have posted the same negative sentiment on the B&L jobs announcement thread. Maybe you are just anti jobs.

All new jobs in Waterford are to be welcomed to help reduce one of the highest unemployment rates in the country IMO.

rayr wrote: »
    Yeah let's keep sending all " these kind of jobs" abroad because of your concern and keep our citizens on state benefits. You have posted the same negative sentiment on the B&L jobs announcement thread. Maybe you are just anti jobs.

All new jobs in Waterford are to be welcomed to help reduce one of the highest unemployment rates in the country IMO.

highly recommend traveling. its been the most important decision ive ever made. i woke up so to speak. its a great experience to go abroad but i do feel sorry for the folks that simply do not or did not want to go. great adventure for those that do though. im very glad we have state benefit. ive been to countries that dont and life is not good. of course im not anti jobs, all for jobs, great to see them coming, maybe the boats turning but i think people are blinded at the moment. we have taken huge steps back regarding pay and working conditions, terrifying in fact, and im not sure we re at the bottom yet. are you seeing a significant turn in your life regarding your pay and public services etc?

hmmm id be careful there, low paid jobs with very bad working conditions, contracts etc are actually a bad idea

Advertisement