Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a kayak or a canoe

Options
  • 24-04-2015 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭

I am thinking about buying. At the moment I am leaning towards a sit on top as it would be smaller, lighter and easier to transport. Plus it would be cheaper in case I don't use it too much. It would also be safer to get out of if anything happened compared to a sea kayak.

I have a few questions.
    Will water get into the kayak and how do you deal with this - a spray deck?
    I have a tri wetsuit. Would this be useful in the kayak. I guess I would need to get some type of shoe.
    I see myself using it for a paddle on lakes and on the shore plus perhaps a bit of fishing.

The canoe would be handy so I could take other people and kids and would probably be drier. But the expense starting off would be too much.

What would I have to pay? I see stuff on donedeal between 350 and 500 eur.

Thanks

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I have a few questions.
    Will water get into the kayak and how do you deal with this - a spray deck?

You don't deal with it, it just gets in - in buckets. The scupper holes will allow it to drain away.
    I have a tri wetsuit. Would this be useful in the kayak. I guess I would need to get some type of shoe.

Get a dry suit. The wet suit will sweat you like the proverbial pig and chaff your skin from the constant paddling. Divers boots are very handy but old runners will suffice. A dry suit allows you to layer up or layer down underneath, depending on the weather.

What would I have to pay? I see stuff on donedeal between 350 and 500 eur.

Thanks

€500 should get you a half decent second hand one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I see there is also canoe type kayaks. These seem to be shorter than the sea kayaks. However for safety reasons I would still prefer sit on top. Myself and my wife tried out the sea kayaks last summer. We were on the water for about 2 hours and it was enjoyable but a bit tough on the back.
    If I can find a 4 - 6 week course over the summer close enough it might help me to decide.

Advertisement