Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bray Summerfest Cancelled

• 24-04-2015 2:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

From the Wicklow Voice:

The Bray Summerfest committee have released the following statement this morning:

“There has been much political, public and media debate around the future of Bray Summerfest following the decision taken by Bray Municipal District councillors at a meeting held on Monday 23 March to reduce the Summerfest Fun Fair from 24 days to 15 days from 2016 onwards.

“At the very outset, Bray Summerfest has clearly stated that it recognises and agrees that Council members have the right to govern local government affairs, including its duty to frame policy around the use of community assets such as Bray Seafront. However, good policy framing should take place in a context where all stakeholders are engaged and consulted with in advance of final policy decisions being made.

“Regrettably this was not the case in this instance. This Council decision on 23 March was made without any prior consultation with the Committee of Bray Summerfest and the Committee had no prior knowledge that such a decision was being considered.

“In the subsequent weeks the Summerfest committee has sought to engage with the Council and individual members in an attempt to resolve this matter. We have also sought to publicly set out the impacts the decision will have for the Summerfest and clarify some of the statements which have been made through the debate that has followed.

“Some elected representatives have sought to use this debate to make claims around the transparency in the management and governance of the Summerfest, in particular around our management of the event’s financial affairs. It is important to note that despite claims to the contrary from some Councillors, the Committee has never received any request for financial information or accounts from any elected member. Nonetheless, in the interest of clarity, we have supplied all Councillors with a detailed presentation on the festival, the fun fair tendering process and four years of financial accounts.

“The morale of volunteer body that works every year to deliver the Summerfest event has been severely impacted by the unsubstantiated claims and innuendo made by individual councillors in recent weeks. These claims have caused untold personal hurt and stress for each volunteer. Political claims should not be made at the personal expense and welfare of individuals.

“The team behind Bray Summerfest has always been committed towards delivering a brilliant free-to-attend festival event for the community and for visitors to our town. We are acknowledging the decision of the Council made on 23 March, we are putting the personal hurt of recent weeks behind us, and we are focussing now on doing what is best for our town and that will continue to honour the spirit of the community festival founded over 30 years ago, albeit in changed financial circumstances.

“At a meeting this week the Bray Summerfest Committee agreed that to apply for an event license to provide this year’s Bray Air Display and the Festival Funfair. As the Summerfest’s landmark event we believe the Air Display is hugely important to the people of Bray and to the local economy. It is the county’s flagship tourism event welcoming over 80,000 people annually to the town. Our focus is on ensuring the delivery of the Air Display for this year, and on beginning now to grow this important event for future years.

“As a consequence unfortunately we cannot provide a full 4 week festival programme this year however we believe the financial viability of the Air Display over the next two years is of paramount importance and is in the wider public, economic and community good.

“We would like to thank all our suppliers, sponsors, and the people of Bray for all their support these recent weeks, and throughout the last 34 years, and we look forward to continuing to welcome thousands of visitors to Bray this July.”

Bray Summerfest Committee

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

I'd like to know why this year's festival is being cancelled if the restriction on the funfair isn't in place till the following year?

While I have sympathy with the organizers that they could have been consulted before the Council's decision, I can understand the reasoning behind the shortening of the funfair license as it does impact massively on local residents along the seafront.

I would have thought that a scaling back of the festival based on the decreased funding would have been a better solution than completely cancelling it.

I would also suggest that if the Summerfest does in fact bring a lot of money into the local economy, that some of the businesses that benefit the most from this could make up some of the shortfall from the lost Funfair revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 WildHPR

I live close enough to the seafront to be impacted by the overspill from the Summerfest. I do however think that it is a very worthwhile venture with a significant community element.

It is unfortunate that the usual local politicians (and notably, not all the local politicians), have most unfairly questioned the festival. The funfair element of the festival is part of the financial engine that funds the community elements.

If the same local politicians had the true interests of the amenity of the esplanade they would ensure that there is adequate litter collection, dog fouling is eliminated and the the promenade lights are repaired promptly. These mundane matters seem to escape their attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

I'd like to know why this year's festival is being cancelled if the restriction on the funfair isn't in place till the following year?

The reason to cancel this years festival is to protect the airshow in 2016. The festival gets €76,000 for 23 days of funfair and so with only 15 days of a funfair for next year it will only be able to get €35,000. The airshow cost €50,000 to produce therefore the committee aim to insure they can fund the air show in 2016..... these figures were all provided to the council

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Previously it was said that Summerfest brought around 8 million euro to Bray businesses - I find it hard to believe they'd be willing to let that go to avoid contributing a measly 15,000 euro between them.

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think the insinuation of financial irregularities was franky disgusting and outrageous

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement

I think the insinuation of financial irregularities was franky disgusting and outrageous

Particularly when the councillors who voted to reduce the funfair had never asked to see the accounts. The statements put out by certain councillors said that the committee had been asked for accounts which is not the case according to the council administrative officer who looks after the accounts for the festival.

When ones honesty and integrity are being called into question by elected officials, you'd have to wonder why people would volunteer their time and energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭SparkySpitfire

It's not cancelled- the only thing not going ahead this year is the market as the special licenses for that are too expensive to acquire this year.

All the bands for the seafront are still booked, the air show is still happening and as far as I know there will still be a (shortened) funfair.

All of this furore is a stunt.

It's not cancelled- the only thing not going ahead this year is the market as the special licenses for that are too expensive to acquire this year.

All the bands for the seafront are still booked, the air show is still happening and as far as I know there will still be a (shortened) funfair.

All of this furore is a stunt.

What special license would be needed for the food market? I don't think it costs money to apply for licenses.

Also, wouldn't it be included in the overall event license?

Are you saying that the bands are booked for all four weekends?

zoobizoo wrote: »
    The reason to cancel this years festival is to protect the airshow in 2016. The festival gets €76,000 for 23 days of funfair and so with only 15 days of a funfair for next year it will only be able to get €35,000. The airshow cost €50,000 to produce therefore the committee aim to insure they can fund the air show in 2016..... these figures were all provided to the council

Do you know if there was any attempt made to look at alternative funding?

I'd also assume that whatever funding that would usually be provided in addition to the Funfair would have still been available this year?

What special license would be needed for the food market? I don't think it costs money to apply for licenses.

Also, wouldn't it be included in the overall event license?

Are you saying that the bands are booked for all four weekends?

I'm saying that we've all heard different stories from different people and about 10000 different versions of it on feckin Facebook! Everyone is of the opinion their version is Gospel so I'm offering mine into the mix.

This is a version I got from someone who spoke to a person on the booking side of things...can't get more specific.

You'd have to look up the license rules yourself.

• Advertisement

Do you know if there was any attempt made to look at alternative funding?

I'd also assume that whatever funding that would usually be provided in addition to the Funfair would have still been available this year?

They were offered a fund and the lead organiser refused it.

This is a version I got from someone who spoke to a person on the booking side of things...can't get more specific.

You'd have to look up the license rules yourself.

I have looked it up.

The event license covers everything so you're wrong on your facts there..... also, it doesn't cost anything to apply for a license.

Can your "someone who spoke to a person" confirm that there will be four weekends of entertainment?

I have looked it up.

The event license covers everything so you're wrong on your facts there..... also, it doesn't cost anything to apply for a license.

Can your "someone who spoke to a person" confirm that there will be four weekends of entertainment?

I'd be interested to see where you found the info, I couldn't find anything online myself to see either way.

They said "all the bands are still booked", so whether that's 2 weekends or 4 I don't know - but 2 weekends is not "cancelled".

Seriously think this a stunt, if I could bet on it in Paddy Power I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

Last year I commented to a few friends and neighbours that there was a good buzz about the town both during and after the festival. I may have even commented on it on here somewhere.

Looking at this thread and the other one about the festival I'm very disappointed with the approach of certain people and politicians. Whilst plenty of people such as Bojangles have reasonable grievances re funfair noise etc, I think the summerfest committee have reduced the days in recent years and the amount of the bigger, louder machines whilst working within financial constraints.

Re the comments made on the funfair "attracting the wrong people"; Bray has this problem all year round, funfair or not it is an issue for all beach spots on the dart; well documented occasions in Howth and Portmarnock come to mind.

Local Politicians; namely Councillors Brady and Matthews - humour me and thousands of others in our great town; can you please make suggestions or come up with your own ideas for generating positivity in Bray. All I ever read are negatives, no plans for job creation, no plans for generating commercial business etc etc
    You have publicly questioned the financial status of a volunteer run event (s) and stated that you havent received accounts but that the festival could be run at a profit with less days - what exactly are you basing this on if you havent seen accounts????
    You are seeking transparency; in the interests of transparency can the summerfest committee be provided with the "1200 name petition"

Once again, the elected politicans and a number of protestors are keen to bring Bray down. This town has enough negatives at the moment without the people who are supposed to be running it, deciding for whatever personal agenda they have going on, to worsen the situation.

I do agree that a certain percentage of businesses in the town benefit from the summerfest, but to me, thats better than none. That's without taking the positive national coverage the town gets.

Don't get me started on people creating accounts to post on here or using dormant accounts...

As pointed out earlier, the treatment has been disgusting.

Also, to the poster who thinks it is a good idea to add to the thousands of facebook rumours by adding their own, that's not mature, at all. By all means state your opinion but dont fuel more rumours with unconfirmed reports. If there are bands booked for weekends, great, but judging by the recent summerfest statement, they were not done by the summerfest committee.

I am disappointed with the town I have spent my whole life defending.

I have looked it up.

Actually, on top of that you titled the thread "Bray Summerfest Cancelled" which just adds to the confusion going on at the minute. The press release you quoted doesn't say as such, instead it says:
    At a meeting this week the Bray Summerfest Committee agreed that to apply for an event license to provide this year’s Bray Air Display and the Festival Funfair. As the Summerfest’s landmark event we believe the Air Display is hugely important to the people of Bray and to the local economy. It is the county's flagship tourism event welcoming over 80,000 people annually to the town. Our focus is on ensuring the delivery of the Air Display for this year, and on beginning now to grow this important event for future years.

So there you have it, it's going ahead but it's been shortened. The only thing missing is the market.

I'd be interested to see where you found the info, I couldn't find anything online myself to see either way.

They said "all the bands are still booked", so whether that's 2 weekends or 4 I don't know - but 2 weekends is not "cancelled".

Seriously think this a stunt, if I could bet on it in Paddy Power I would.

A stunt??? Really? for what gain?? That is some claim to make..

sallymomo wrote: »

Also, to the poster who thinks it is a good idea to add to the thousands of facebook rumours by adding their own, that's not mature, at all. By all means state your opinion but dont fuel more rumours with unconfirmed reports. If there are bands booked for weekends, great, but judging by the recent summerfest statement, they were not done by the summerfest committee.

So everyone's allowed say what they want but I'm not because I won't tell you who said it? :rolleyes:

The pubs book the bands and it's done. Simple as that really.

Actually, on top of that you titled the thread "Bray Summerfest Cancelled" which just adds to the confusion going on at the minute. The press release you quoted doesn't say as such, instead it says:

So there you have it, it's going ahead but it's been shortened. The only thing missing is the market.

It says the airshow is going ahead....where are bands mentioned????

So everyone's allowed say what they want but I'm not because I won't tell you who said it? :rolleyes:

Read the post, I said you are entitled to your opinion, I just don't think your rumour mongering does any good - you have just posted about the sirshow to back up your point of the summerfest still going ahead.
    This is disingenious as the statement says that the airshow will go ahead. That. Is. It. Nothing else

I am not going to get into an online row back and forward over this to be honest. Read the posts and reply accordingly, that applies to press releases.

That is not true. The committee book the bands and have done since the festival started.

You can contact the pubs directly and they will tell you the same thing.

• Advertisement

A stunt??? Really? for what gain?? That is some claim to make..

All of this uproar is literally just politics. Council members trying to do this and that and people's names being bandied about when really they shouldn't be involved in it at all.

The council made a decision, the volunteer Summerfest Committee aren't happy with it but are doing the best they can with what happened and now every Tom, Dick and Harry has a finger to point and an opinion on what should be done and blah blah blah.

I'm not saying the volunteer committee have created this stunt but the people who play at politics are using the festival as a pawn when it's really nothing to do with them at all.

All of this uproar is literally just politics. Council members trying to do this and that and people's names being bandied about when really they shouldn't be involved in it at all.

The council made a decision, the volunteer Summerfest Committee aren't happy with it but are doing the best they can with what happened and now every Tom, Dick and Harry has a finger to point and an opinion on what should be done and blah blah blah.

I'm not saying the volunteer committee have created this stunt but the people who play at politics are using the festival as a pawn when it's really nothing to do with them at all.

I agree with you 100% that it is a stunt, by the elected politicans. Unfortunately everyone else suffers.

This is disingenious as the statement says that the airshow will go ahead. That. Is. It. Nothing else

Obviously you haven't read it properly either as it says they have agreed to apply for a license for the funfair also. That's at least two things confirmed to be in motion and that leaves the music (which I would bet my left arm will happen) and the market which probably won't.

I agree with you on that Sparky - it's a pity to see certain councillors trying to use the fest (which is non political) as a tool.

Actually, only one councillor is now doing this now issuing contradictory press releases and trying to "save the day" while at the same time giving back handed compliments to the volunteers.

Actually, only one councillor is now doing this now issuing contradictory press releases and trying to "save the day" while at the same time giving back handed compliments to the volunteers.

One thing I will say on that is to keep your eye on the ones who keep quiet, as well as the ones who are communicating with people. Read all you can and look into it for yourself, do some digging. You might find some new perspectives as I did.

Certainly seems like one party has been mobilised to turn this political and to attack the volunteers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I found some interesting different perspectives on this alright.

The attacks from a mobilised group of one party against the festival committee are frankly disgusting.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Back on now apparently

No - not back on.

The only events applied for are the Airshow and one night of music

Not four weekends of music, free family events, food weekend, family weekend and all of the other stuff.........

• Advertisement

I see councilor Steven Matthews has posted a statement regarding the whole thing

https://www.facebook.com/notes/steven-matthews-green-party/summerfest/856278557751926

I can't say I know too much about the man but the points he makes seem reasonable enough to me.

Asking for audited accounts is not an accusation of any wrong doing by the committee but would provide a lot more clarity over the finances involved.

Advertisement