Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRADER'S CORNER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

jpboard1 wrote: »
    The aud/usd trade is a play on China. Plus I am convinced that we are going to see serious usd weakness in the medium term

Did you open in the end? Caixan Flash Manf PMI 47.1 overnight.

EUR/AUD which others have alluded to is above 1.54, highest since Q1 2014.
    AUD/USD appears to have reasonably good support around 0.729.

Going to be a very interesting day for the Euro if data is on target or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

dasdog wrote: »
    Did you open in the end? Caixan Flash Manf PMI 47.1 overnight.

EUR/AUD which others have alluded to is above 1.54, highest since Q1 2014.
    AUD/USD appears to have reasonably good support around 0.729.

Going to be a very interesting day for the Euro if data is on target or better.

Yep, still hanging in there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

If you don't know about Jackson Hole and the impacts it has had over the years, now would be a good time to learn.

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-NTDVWC6KLVRM01-7J89JMMKN4145MP9JSLEP3S99N

ixus wrote: »
    If you don't know about Jackson Hole and the impacts it has had over the years, now would be a good time to learn.

http://washpost.bloomberg.com/Story?docId=1376-NTDVWC6KLVRM01-7J89JMMKN4145MP9JSLEP3S99N

Thank you for that. I can see the ECB getting uneasy with the current Euro direction as is and may utter some noises (QE2 or front load esque). Three intra-day trades already booked and final one in safe profit. This was on a number of (other peoples) EUR/USD charts last week with targets ranging from 1.14-17.

This week/period could be very messy. No harm watching from the sidelines for a while.

http://kingworldnews.com/art-cashin-prepare-for-more-downside-after-this-weeks-stock-market-plunge-compares-action-to-1987-crash/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

I find it bizarre that the week that was in it... Everyone, bar ixus stays quiet.

Where is the thoughts, research or scenarios?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Whiskey ?

Whiskey ?

After Friday's close...

YES PLEASE! :)

Targets for Dollar/Yen on Friday were 118. "Yep", "agreed" kind of language in the follow up comments. Everyone waiting for New York to drive the herd. I wouldn't like to have options under threat :pac:

Closed both eur/usd positions for good profit. Think we might actually see a bounce from here in markets...

• Advertisement

Closed both eur/usd positions for good profit. Think we might actually see a bounce from here in markets...

Very possible dead cat. Going to keep a cable position open @ 1.57. Greed/Intrigue/Amateurism/Gambling.

If you're a retail trader and you get involved today you're a fool. Be safe.
    ixus wrote: »
    This week/period could be very messy. No harm watching from the sidelines for a while.

http://kingworldnews.com/art-cashin-prepare-for-more-downside-after-this-weeks-stock-market-plunge-compares-action-to-1987-crash/

There's little doubt it will turn 180 degrees. All about timing.

Td armertrade just halted all futures intraday trading. Others ciuld follow. Yoi could get margined out of it whether you are right or wrong.

Hft has never seen thus before, limit down in Nasdaq. Few know what theyre doing. Last helpful warning.

Hindsight is great but the Yen movement, wow. Still long on Betty foolish as I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Yeah it's bonkers. Yes you could get in and manage to not get stopped out and could be in for a several hundred point profit but any effort at the minute is a complete roll of the dice.

Positions closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

dow opened down 1000 points....ouch :eek:

no doubts markets will turn around....but question is when and can you wait it out???

interesting article on Bloomberg.com on what happens when S&P drops 5%

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-08-24/here-s-what-usually-happens-to-markets-after-the-s-p-500-drops-five-percent-in-a-week

Trading Places : "Turn the machines back on"

Bounce will occur in JPY irrespective of the overall context

I'll nail my colours to the mast on a very windy day. USD/JPY 118.364 bargain at 215,000.

Closed 118.493. A few hundred Euro profit. Enjoyed today.

• Advertisement

in Boi @32.9c for a small amount

think thats a good price for them seeing as they havent dropped below 33 since mar 15.

also...spare a thought for FBD investors..down 20%+ today & 65% off year highs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

WTI down another $2 a barrel today , this is bleeding rapid 😱, their has to be some great value commodity plays lining up ,I need to get reading !

Still keeping my S&P long here. Think I will get a better position to close it.

Most US markets have 'recovered' to only be down 1-1.5% at the moment.

Hopefully they keep recovering and china has a good return overnight...might be a buying opportunity now?

When someone of ixus's calibre says stay out of the market. That is good enough for me, I'm out!

daheff wrote: »
    Most US markets have 'recovered' to only be down 1-1.5% at the moment.

Hopefully they keep recovering and china has a good return overnight...might be a buying opportunity now?

I personally wouldn't see a buying opportunity. Just looking for a better place to get out. I am lower leverage than most so I can wait.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Scalped the dow on the way up and made some honey, also sold the NZ dollar over night and made a bit but im nervous to get involved any further today anyway.

I recall you posting this Thurs around 5pm S&p was at 2050. While the low on the open was extreme this afternoon, i assume you had all day to get out or have a stop?

Two words: Loss aversion.

• Advertisement

If you see the timing of my posts, Sat night i could feel something major was up after the week we had.

The moves overnight, this morning and today are some of the most volatile ever. Complacency about a market bouncing is a bad trait to have. A retails worst nightmare is getting margined out of it or, the losses being worse than you have on margin. This happens and happened to a shed load of accounts today. Vanguard etfs and td armertade locked people out. If it hadnt of bounced....

Advertisement