Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRADER'S CORNER

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

I really don't care if I am right or wrong!

Good for you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

I really don't care if I am right or wrong!

Nor do I ,just as long as my systems expectancy is their or their abouts at the end of the year:p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

jpboard1 wrote: »
    What is your eventual target? What platform are you trading it on?

To reverse this trade from 42/40/38 and lower if it gets their,and hold till $70 +
    IG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

I see the dollar index is floating around the 96.39 level that I mentioned on the "dollar" thread and the Euro is in or around the same level it was at the time also(11035 was the high that day) This time around they coming from the opposite direction. Quite day today with UK and US holiday's, so next few days should let us know if the dollar bull is back.
    Thoughts?

Euro high today 11042
    Dollar index never broke below 97

A)The dollar is overbought against the rest of the index.
    B)The euro is overbought against the dollar.
    C) Someone is buying the euro in a big way....Swiss?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

dasdog wrote: »
    Yes, I expected that and decided not to grab a quick profit, 113 at market close. Negative US data and any trouble in China will boost this.

The Canadian Parliament was dissolved this morning. Prospects don't look good for CAD. Going to hold on to this if it survives the week as it has a lot of potential but I'll update the thread if I close.

Closed EUR/CAD long today 208.2 pips after its third attempt to break 1.4570 resistance which looked very strong. Attempt number four being made right now but I decided to book.

• Advertisement

I'm selling eur/gbp/swiss franc against aud/nzd as opportunities arise. Using CCI 60 on 2 hr chart (200)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Big fx risk in markets at the moment.

ixus wrote: »
    Big fx risk in markets at the moment.

Why do you say that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭daheff

Why do you say that?

China effectively devalued their currency twice in the last few days. theres a worry that a currency war may develop.

Incredible risk off sentiment paradigm shift (risky market yes) against the dollar.

Bought AUD 0.7312 & NZD 0.6574 this morning.

Watching how EUR/USD behaves with its resistance levels. So far so good but there is a danger to being bullish with these two however the potential reward is big.

Edit
    Closed AUD 0.7370, 58.4 pips earlier

Edit2
    Keeping the NZD trade open, currently 0.662, 46 pips [Closed 0.6954, 20.9 pips]

• Advertisement

Incredible risk off sentiment paradigm shift (risky market yes) against the dollar.

Watching how EUR/USD behaves with its resistance levels. So far so good but there is a danger to being bullish with these two however the potential reward is big.
    Had to look that one up, still not sure what it means?

daheff wrote: »
    China effectively devalued their currency twice in the last few days. theres a worry that a currency war may develop.

The currency wars have been ongoing for a while now

I have been long eur/usd & eur/jpy a while now. Positions deep in the money. Partly closing positions. Leaving runners. Also sell eu/gbp/sfranc against aud/nzd. I think commodities are making a solid base here too(I hope! :))

Had to look that one up, still not sure what it means?

Mind was in work mode, the corporate bollocks should read:

Huge sentiment swing, Fed Sept expectations 50% to 38% (earlier today)
    Gold $1123
    Dollar being pummelled
    etc.

I was expecting some news from China after the weekend but nothing on this scale so quickly.

I have been long eur/usd & eur/jpy a while now. Positions deep in the money. Also sell eu/gbp/sfranc against aud/nzd. I think commodities are making a solid base here too(I hope! :))

Nice one. Target for EUR/JPY? I remember a few months back it was struggling to break 140.5 (ish) when it was reasonably strong against USD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

Nice one. Target for EUR/JPY? I remember a few months back it was struggling to break 140.5 (ish) when it was reasonably strong against USD.

1.60 is my target. The chinese are forcing everyone to devalue. This can go on for 10 years.

Dollar index has come back up through 96.39. Watch this level it's a good one.

Dollar index has come back up through 96.39. Watch this level it's a good one.

Dollar appetite seems to be back this morning.
    Bought USD/CAD just below 130 and closed a NZD long. Eyeing EUR also.

Closed
    USD/CAD, 129.99/130.263, +32.1
    EUR/USD cumulative scalps x2 -14.1

moneymad wrote: »
    1.60 is my target. The chinese are forcing everyone to devalue. This can go on for 10 years.

Targeting 14600 and then will re-assess. I would wait for a better entry than here though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Had two losing Gold trades earlier in the week off the back of the Chinese news, down 1.5% off the back of them.

Third trade of the week was initiated this morning. Bought the DAX at 11098 with a 30 point stop. Initial target of 100 points. Currently +50. May leave that in as I'm on the road with work shortly so won't be sitting in front of the markets. Think there is decent upside potential off the back of 2 big red days with an easing off yesterday evening.

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    Had two losing Gold trades earlier in the week off the back of the Chinese news, down 1.5% off the back of them.

Third trade of the week was initiated this morning. Bought the DAX at 11098 with a 30 point stop. Initial target of 100 points. Currently +50. May leave that in as I'm on the road with work shortly so won't be sitting in front of the markets. Think there is decent upside potential off the back of 2 big red days with an easing off yesterday evening.

30 points seems an incredibly tight stop?

30 points seems an incredibly tight stop?

Really?

I reckon it depends on an individuals stake / trading maths. I've found in the past few months, particularly around Greek news, the DAX is quite volatile around this kind of news so large stops are typically not recommended, at least from many commentators I've been listening to. 3-4 months ago I had 2-3 particularly big stops blown out when in positive position, purely off the back of breaking news. I didn't really want to leave myself open to that again, at least for a while with the DAX. Forex products typically would be a lot less volatile so you could be more confident with bigger stop positions.

Hindsight being a beautiful thing, I should have closed at +60 when I was leaving the laptop and taken my 2:1. Just stopped out as the index came back 100 pips.

Really?

I reckon it depends on an individuals stake / trading maths. I've found in the past few months, particularly around Greek news, the DAX is quite volatile around this kind of news so large stops are typically not recommended, at least from many commentators I've been listening to. 3-4 months ago I had 2-3 particularly big stops blown out when in positive position, purely off the back of breaking news. I didn't really want to leave myself open to that again, at least for a while with the DAX. Forex products typically would be a lot less volatile so you could be more confident with bigger stop positions.

I don't know. A thirty point stop is only 0.3 of 1%. That seems very tight to me.

I don't know. A thirty point stop is only 0.3 of 1%. That seems very tight to me.

Would you hold 1 contract, 10 contracts, 100 contracts, for more than a 30 point stop on a intra-day pivot point play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

Hindsight being a beautiful thing, I should have closed at +60 when I was leaving the laptop and taken my 2:1. Just stopped out as the index came back 100 pips.

You were right on a rally, but you were buying the tail end of it. Sold off 700, your bid was 200 off lows on a gap up.

Think about why your entry was wrong and why you expected a bigger rally. My guess is because of the recent big Greek rally. If it was, that's a different scenario. They had a deal, there was a reason for a big bid. China still devalued overnight. S&P was only up there coz of dollar move. Wasn't going to be enough to pull it higher.

I'm sure you could throw a fib level at it and see there was a technical cover around there too if inclined.

On the stops, algos are designed to take out tight stops. They seek them. But, i understand the need to keep it tight. Euro equities are in no mans land at the moment. Subject to the moves of other markets.

Would you hold 1 contract, 10 contracts, 100 contracts, for more than a 30 point stop on a intra-day pivot point play?

I don't really play intraday trading. Extremely hard to be profitable. From experience though I find stop losses can kill alot of decent trades.

Trying FCX long here. Think we could see a big rebound medium term

http://www.investopedia.com/walkthrough/forex/trading-strategies/medium-term/why-medium.aspx

I should have put something like this at the start of the thread for educational purposes. Anyhow there is enough in it as a starting point.
    The technicals apply to more than forex.

• Advertisement

I am still to be convinced by alot of the technical indicators out there. The likes of MACD, BBs etc. I love to know of people on here who are profitable using the likes?

Advertisement