Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TRADER'S CORNER

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭For ever odd

jpboard1 wrote: »
    I am still to be convinced by alot of the technical indicators out there. The likes of MACD, BBs etc. I love to know of people on here who are profitable using the likes?

Or cci!:D I find technicals mixed with fundermentals works, the last few weeks or so, I have been mainly using technicals due to time constraints. Very profitable!

I don't really play intraday trading. Extremely hard to be profitable. From experience though I find stop losses can kill alot of decent trades.

It took me a while to recognise who you are, it was bugging me. Welcome back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭jpboard1

Or cci!:D I find technicals mixed with fundermentals works, the last few weeks or so, I have been mainly using technicals due to time constraints. Very profitable!

True. But I only use CCI for entry not for direction. My trades are nearly always on a fundie basis. What technicals do you use?

Looking at taking up large long in aud/usd medium term.

True. But I only use CCI for entry not for direction. My trades are nearly always on a fundie basis. What technicals do you use?

This might sound strange, but when I look at the charts, I am starting to see and hear what the market's are thinking. I don't understand why, but hey it is working for me so I will roll with it. I have mentioned a few simple indicators that I use for confirmation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

I followed AUD/USD on the way down from above .80 and a bit like the UK they are looking to the domestic market to fuel growth. I haven't been there for over a decade but Sydney/Melbourne have fairly big housing bubbles which don't need further rate cut inflating and construction workers are in short supply. On the downside aside from the export decline, part time employment sticks out in their supposedly dubious job numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ixus

What fundamentals are you looking at? If i recall, earlier, you said trades are based on this.

Commodity bounce?

Way i see it, commods are done. Gonzo long term. Bar geopolitical for oil.

Aus central bank want weaker currency.

Chinese were buying up Aus property. May stop. Market and banks there have big downside potential.

And, most importantly, Sept/Dec fomc is a strong head wind to a long usd position.

Caveat, i just dislike the notion of trading fx as you don't know what CB'S will do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

First time back trading fx and cfd's in a few months, just scalping today.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭candlegrease

What kind of portfolios do you guys have?

What kind of portfolios do you guys have?

I have mainly fx positions at present. Holding quite a few health companies and am starting to make some commodity plays. I think this area is bottoming out.

• Advertisement

ixus wrote: »
    What fundamentals are you looking at? If i recall, earlier, you said trades are based on this.

Commodity bounce?

Way i see it, commods are done. Gonzo long term. Bar geopolitical for oil.

Aus central bank want weaker currency.

Chinese were buying up Aus property. May stop. Market and banks there have big downside potential.

And, most importantly, Sept/Dec fomc is a strong head wind to a long usd position.

Caveat, i just dislike the notion of trading fx as you don't know what CB'S will do.

The aud/usd trade is a play on China. Plus I am convinced that we are going to see serious usd weakness in the medium term

Being convinced of a trade and taking larger positions than usual and the back of recent positive trading returns can lead to a shock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭dasdog

AUD behaving as a Euro proxy and six year Oz lows. It's risky (ore). Bulls & Bears in the thread which is interesting.

dasdog wrote: »
    AUD behaving as a Euro proxy and six year Oz lows. It's risky (ore). Bulls & Bears in the thread which is interesting.

I remember it being 2.10 to the Eur when i was working there and before that was between 1.60 to 1.80 for years.

http://fortune.com/2015/03/16/debt-ceiling/

Does anyone have any views on the US debt ceiling?

imggraph.php?C1=EUR&C2=AUD&A=1&DD1=15&MM1=08&YYYY1=2001&DD2=15&MM2=08&YYYY2=2015&LANG=en&CJ=0&MM1Y=0&LARGE=

Indeed. Oh for the days when you would get 2 aus or nz for a euro. Gbp were getting 3 at the time.

That spike was 07-09 period. Commodities are almost there. Suggest people look at the history of big events. Anything is possible.

It is approaching a long term trend line from 2001 on the weekly charts. Weather the trend line holds or not remains to be seen.http://fxtop.com/php/imggraph.php?C1=AUD&C2=USD&A=1&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=2001&DD2=31&MM2=08&YYYY2=2015&LARGE=1&CJ=1&LANG=en&VAR=0
    Can you expand more on your fundamental view?

ixus wrote: »
    Being convinced of a trade and taking larger positions than usual and the back of recent positive trading returns can lead to a shock.

Very true. Important not to put 'all eggs in one basket'. That being said, many trades are linked so you are either long or short the dollar in many cases.

Anyone trade indices?
    Last year used to scalp the ASX 200, did not move too much in any direction on any given night, actually was making good money on it but then of course i lost a fortune on FX, thinking of just sticking to indices this time around.

Anyone trade indices?
    Last year used to scalp the ASX 200, did not move too much in any direction on any given night, actually was making good money on it but then of course i lost a fortune on FX, thinking of just sticking to indices from now on.

I trade indices. Long S&P and related and long China.

• Advertisement

I trade indices. Long S&P and related and long China.

Do you hold your positions long?
    I prefer to scalp from my limited experience.

Do you hold your positions long?
    I prefer to scalp from my limited experience.

I hold them relatively long(compared to many of the posters here). But it really depends on price action. I am bullish US & China indices so currently have a full position in both. On any decent rally I close half and then wait for pull back to enter another half again. This way I will always catch some of the movement.

Just trying to get back into it again, have been reading up and trading on a demo account last few months, i must say i missed the ups and downs and buzz of trading.

[QUOTE=JONJO THE MISER;96623519[Anyone trade indices?
    Last year used to scalp the ASX 200, did not move too much in any direction on any given night, actually was making good money on it but then of course i lost a fortune on FX, thinking of just sticking to indices this time around.[/QUOTE]

I am short the dow, dax and ftse for a while now.

Just trying to get back into it again, have been reading up and trading on a demo account last few months, i must say i missed the ups and downs and buzz of trading.

Its addictive alright. Can be dangerous!

It is approaching a long term trend line from 2001 on the weekly charts. Weather the trend line holds or not remains to be seen.http://fxtop.com/php/imggraph.php?C1=AUD&C2=USD&A=1&DD1=01&MM1=01&YYYY1=2001&DD2=31&MM2=08&YYYY2=2015&LARGE=1&CJ=1&LANG=en&VAR=0
    Can you expand more on your fundamental view?

The Fed need a weaker dollar. The current strength of the dollar is stifling growth. The market wants to go higher but has been unable for months now. The Fed nearly always gets what it wants. I wouldn't bet against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭Roonbox

Very true. Important not to put 'all eggs in one basket'. That being said, many trades are linked so you are either long or short the dollar in many cases.

It is OK to put all your eggs in one basket, as long as you watch that basket very very carefully :)

The Fed need a weaker dollar. The current strength of the dollar is stifling growth. The market wants to go higher but has been unable for months now. The Fed nearly always gets what it wants. I wouldn't bet against them.

For what it's worth I think your trade idea is a good one,albeit for the wrong reasons.
    The trade is relienant on a major risk off environment.

For what it's worth I think your trade idea is a good one,albeit for the wrong reasons.
    The trade is relienant on a major risk off environment.

What do you think the reasons are?

• Advertisement

What do you think the reasons are?[/QUOTE

I will not be wasting anymore of my time on you.

Advertisement