Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

chromecast data usage

Options
  • 24-04-2015 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭

Hi. Quick question about the chromecast. Sorry if its in the wrong section.

Im looking to use my mobile phone to tether and connect up my chromecast. If im watching a video on netflix thats say 500mb, am i using 500mb to stream it off netflix and another 500mb to send it to the chromecast?
    A quick google search doesnt answer it for me.
    cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

no, the netflix app on phone is a remote control, the chromecast streams the stuff itself, so you'll only use the 500MB once.

even if you're casting a tab on a laptop and it's playing on the laptop and the Chromecast, the laptop is doing the streaming and casting locally so again you're only using the 500MB once.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Thanks for that.
    What about videos on my phone. Ive a camera similar to a go pro and it records onto micro sd. If i pop that into my phone and cast a 1gb video to the tv via chromecast while tethering off my phone is it using the full 1gb of mobile data?
    sorry for all the questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

.red. wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    What about videos on my phone. Ive a camera similar to a go pro and it records onto micro sd. If i pop that into my phone and cast a 1gb video to the tv via chromecast while tethering off my phone is it using the full 1gb of mobile data?
    sorry for all the questions.

Nope. Thats all local. Equivalent to wifi. No data used.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Remember that when downloading anything the total data usage will be more than the file size as there are packet headers and acknowledgements etc. so a 500MB file will use more than 500MB of your data allowance.

Advertisement