Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What does your username mean?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 89 ✭✭Everythin coming up Milhouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭Cold War Kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭kingtiger

I like WW2 tanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭IamNotNumber

I am not number ..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I signed up here as a drunken college student and took my name after a song on the Babyshambles album 'Shotters Nation.'

In real life I'm right handed and right leaning in my politics.

Macavity. wrote: »
    My anus.

Not really though.

i.e ur cavity

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

i.e ur cavity

Maybe he just likes shoving big macs up there??

Robsweezie wrote: »
    Maybe he just likes shoving big macs up there??

? yeah maybe idk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

edwin francis bellew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

It's the least republican name i could think of. i had to hide during the purges.

• Advertisement

William F wrote: »
    It's the least republican name i could think of. i had to hide during the purges.

Ah yes you'd be Liam F if you wanted to portray your republican beliefs. William F is a real planters name like Ivor Bell or Hector Hastings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

It's a Rammstein song

Links234 wrote: »
    It's a Rammstein song

And a very good one at that. Not better than Sonne though. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Nothing can beat Ohne Dich for me.

My name? Lady parts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Randomly generated username back in the Age of Empires II online days. Stuck.

Physiologically accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Gunslinger92

An avenged sevenfold song that was playing when I registered + my year of birth! I think I get mistaken for a fella a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭JanaMay

A mix of both my grandmothers' names. I never met them so it's just a little tip of my hat to two strong women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

A comical looking aquarium fish that does not exist in the wild and only exists because of human interference.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I love summer and Mr Sinatra was doing what he does best in the background.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

Forums n00b (it's a Latin word for newly recruited soldiers, but it generally means rookie or novice now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DigitalGhost

it's a haunting tale....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

My favourite past time I suppoe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Von Bismarck was a conservative Chancellor of Germany, and a historical figure whom I admire greatly. He was a strong diplomat, a pragmatist, a man of character and honour. I’d like to think I take inspiration from him when it comes to living my life, and in carrying out my work. I’d consider him one of the most important Europeans of the last 500 years. There are a wealth of excellent books written about the man if you’d like to know more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

Von Bismarck was a conservative Chancellor of Germany, and a historical figure whom I admire greatly. He was a strong diplomat, a pragmatist, a man of character and honour. I’d like to think I take inspiration from him when it comes to living my life, and in carrying out my work. I’d consider him one of the most important Europeans of the last 500 years. There are a wealth of excellent books written about the man if you’d like to know more.

Was Hitler not available?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 tiro

Von Bismarck was a conservative Chancellor of Germany, and a historical figure whom I admire greatly. He was a strong diplomat, a pragmatist, a man of character and honour.

Which makes him a great choice when playing Civilisation V.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 353 ✭✭gazump123

Random word and stuck 123 at the end of it. Simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

It's a reference to the hideous Aran jumpers and that my name is Aaron.
    I have a fondness for bad puns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Easy enough to figure mine out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

FanadMan wrote: »
    Easy enough to figure mine out
    You're a man that is a fan of advertisements?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Dexter Bip

Reference to chain letters on email from the nineties - same sort of nonsense that you see on facebook these days.
    You'll need to read the whole post through to find the reference. It still makes me smile when I read it.

http://msgboard.snopes.com/message/ultimatebb.php?/ubb/get_topic/f/83/t/000004.html

Ignore the warnings at your peril!!!: You'll be raped by mad goats.D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

UN weapons inspector Hans Blix pronounced by Kim-Jong-Il in Team-America World Police

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A Toastmsasters speech about my username
    Madam T, Fellow Ts, - This speech is about Joey. But it is also about much more, it’s about warm lifelong friendship, companionship and enjoying life’s humorous events.

Back in 1947 a young recently married couple from Yorkshire travelled on their honeymoon to Bray. Their honeymoon was spent in the guest house that my Grandparents owned at that time. This couple, Eddie and Jean became lifelong friends with my grandparents, parents, aunt and uncle. My grandparents both died in the 1970s and 1980s but Eddie and Jean still stayed very firm family friends. They visited Ireland and my family visited them in Yorkshire and Bristol for almost 60 years. When I was younger they visited almost every Christmas and would bring lots of presents. For me, my brother and sister and cousins they were like surrogate grandparents. They were warm and generous, cheerful and affectionate, a down to earth couple with a great Northern English Humour. We always looked forward with excitement to their frequent visits.

Eddie and Jean - never had children. In the mid 1970s they bought a parrot and they called the parrot Joey. Joey was in that unique Northern England affectionate way referred to as “Our Joey”. He was a bright green bird with some yellow and red flecks on his head and he had a bubbly and chirpy personality. Joey lived in a cage in Eddie and Jeans home. He was always a source of much amusement to Eddie and Jean and their many friends.

Over the years I got to know Joey too and his sparkling and vibrant character was a source of marvel and wonder to us as children.

I’ve chosen a few simple stories about how Joey bought amusement and pleasure to the lives of those around him;
    • Joey’s cage was in the living room across the room from the dining table. He would never stay quiet while people were eating – he would squawk and squawk and croak and moan until he was given some food too. You’re probably thinking that a bird would only eat seed – actually he ate small titbits of most things - meat and vegetables too! His favourite food was actually toast.
    • After about 25 years Eddie and Jean bought Joey a new shiny sparkly cage. He was not happy with this – His home had been changed and he did not like it. In a dour humour he stormed around his cage silently, refusing to speak or eat. He wanted his old home back and was stubbornly demonstrating that a fancy new cage did not suit him. Eventually his old cage was returned and Joey perked up like a young child with lots of coca cola.
    • Joey was called a “Ladies Bird”. This is because he loved women and affectionately chatted all day long in their presence but he would only speak when there were women around. – sometimes Jean would go on a day trip and Joey was muted. He would sit sullen and silent all day on his perch. Joeys gloominess would only disappear as soon as Jean or any other female entered the house.
    • Joey’s often clucked and chattered away with the sounds from the television. Then in 1990, he started singing opera. Pavarotti, Carerras and Domingo were launched onto the world stage and Joey loved to sing along with them. He loved to sing aloud and show off his operatic voice to Nessun Dorma – proudly showing his vocal variety.
    • Eddie and Jean often went on holidays and their friends minded Joey. After one such trip Eddie noticed that Joey had a limp. Joey was duly bought to the Vets. The vet examined Joey and looked at both legs in bafflement. He could find no problem that would cause a limp. Eventually Eddie and Jean and the vet realised that Joeys limp was not real. It was an imitation of Ken, his minder!
    • In recent times Jean and Eddie became old and eventually Eddie died. Joey missed Eddie a lot and would call out for him frequently. Joey was clearly upset and grieving. Joey and Jean provided companionship for each other in their time of grief.
    • Shortly after Eddies death Jean bought Joey for a check-up. The vet was examining Joey and noticed something – he turned to Jean and said “for all these years you’ve been calling this parrot Joey – but this isn’t a Joey – It’s a Joanna –

Shortly afterwards Joey died and so did Jean.

During their lives Eddie and Jean and indeed Joey bought many gifts to the world – Humour, Solid and Constant Friendship, Companionship, Generosity, Kindness and Warm Heartedness, Wonder and Joy.

I miss them all very much

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Teenage girl..very low self esteem got joy from Internet anonymity and comfort eating.. Named myself after a favourite sugary treat.

Taste the rainbow.!

it's a haunting tale....
    It certainly is. Your disappearance is very ghostly.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Shortened from Zaphod Beeblebrox, former Galactic President, seven times Worst Dressed Sentient Being in the Known Universe and all-round hoopy frood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

Raising awareness of the barbaric destruction of the once excellent Lyric FM to its present disgraceful retirement park for RTE has-beens and 'personalities' who haven't a rashers about music.
    And still holding out that one day an improved management will see the light and and return it to be a radio station for music lovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭cadea

My nick in Enemy Territory, kinda a play on Cad e sin as Gaelige

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

del as in Costa del Sol where I enjoy my spare time. the driver represents my love of cars. Simplest eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

My username came from a vague childhood memory I had of a poem we did in Primary School by Percy Bysshe Shelley. As it later turned out the correct spelling was "Ozymandias" but its too late now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

I'll give you 27 guesses and not a damn one more...

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Mashup of the names of two of my favourite rappers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

My username is related to a T. S. Eliot poem, but of course, everyone in AH thought it was a joke about my cavity. Yes, that's the level of culture we have on this site. At first I found this humorous, but after continuous references to my gastrointestinal tract, I found myself increasingly disheartened.

I will close my account soon and return with a name referencing some 90's alternative rock band or an obscure movie character nobody has heard of. If you are unfamiliar with the aforementioned topics, then you may recognise me from my posts that will most likely be pretentious, yet pompously sanctimonious to the extreme.

Well you did reference your anus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

Well you did reference your anus.

If I referenced my anus then my username would be "My Anus".

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Named after both my parents. Haven't seen them in years. They left when i was very young. I believe theyre on TV now though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

You're a man that is a fan of advertisements?

Got it in one :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

My name is Steve and I play drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Asarlai

It's Irish for wizard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭skittles8710

Mashup of the names of two of my favourite rappers.

Love love talib kweli!

Advertisement