Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedding plants - cheapest place to buy

Options
  • 24-04-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Where's the cheapest (not necessarily the best) place to buy summer bedding, a few shrubs and mulch? Trying to get house ready for sale so keeping the budget down is important.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭roroliam

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

yellow hen wrote: »
    Where's the cheapest (not necessarily the best) place to buy summer bedding, a few shrubs and mulch? Trying to get house ready for sale so keeping the budget down is important.

Sorry Dublin area... Forgot to say that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Red Hare

I find Woodies to be one of the cheapest.

Also Lidl will have six packs of bedding plants for 2.49 next thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Dunnes have 'em 2 for €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭tadgh

BargainTown can have cheap bedding plants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,464 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I wouldn't buy any bedding for another couple of weeks, they could still be damaged by cold.

I would also be inclined to buy fewer plants of better quality - Woodies are good, some other places not so good - in the long run, ie a couple of months, you will have a better show than masses of the cheap ones. Some liquid fertiliser would be a good investment too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I know it's not the same for everyone, but I buy a couple of packets of HARDY ANNUAL seeds and scatter them on the raised beds that are on each side of the patio. They grow in their thousands! No need to incubate them under cover or indoors like half hardy annuals.

I use the seeds (sown last week) to fill the gaps between the phlox and dahlias that are just beginning to peep up now.

I use ordinary stocks, and night scented stocks (heavenly scent at night), and cornflower of different colours. Cheap as chips, easy to germinate, and does the job!

I realise that some bedding plants are needed for tubs and hanging baskets. Just throwing it out there.

Advertisement